• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Fieldcraft Camouflage technology thread

MikeinMO

Private
Minuteman
Oct 10, 2010
St. Louis, MO
How about patterns and finishes for rifles as a starter topic for this thread? If you were asked to select the most versatile pattern, for a wide variety of environments and light conditions, what would you choose?

CeraCote claims to have a new product that is not IR reflective, so less visible with NV equipment. Anybody have any data on it?

Thoughts?

Discuss...

Re: Camouflage technology thread

>CeraCote claims to have a new product that is not IR reflective, so less visible with NV equipment. Anybody have any data on it?

search...

As for camo, mirage / multicam are still the best but they all suck compared to local AO applied.

Dude, Mossy Oak is the Best!

I read it in Field and Stream . . . .
laugh.gif

Actually, I agree with Oregon Shooter, blend in with what you are working with. One size does not fit all.

BMT

I have old Woodland pattern for Spring/Summer, Urban for Winter, and Subdued Urban wear for Autumn/dark.. Mostly for 'what if...?". I use mostly Realtree and Mossy Oak for deer hunting. I flatly refuse to become engrossed with the ghillie thing. It makes me awkward and clumsy.

Any pattern which can't be visually resolved at the distance it's intended for is simply overly busy. For the most part, I believe that finely detailed patterns are a waste, when they are close enough to be seen clearly, <span style="font-style: italic">any</span> camo pattern is questionable.

Camo is as much about movement discipline as about stationary patterns. You step out of step with nature, you're busted; no matter what you wear.

Some get busted simply because they go where someone who's trying to hide would be expected go. Think outside that box. get ballsy.

If you can fool the deer, you're not too bad. If you can fool the crows and squirrels, that's a lot better. I have had squirrels chase each other right over top of me and back while I was set up for Turkey; never seemed to notice me. I have had a Scout come running down a path and step right on me during mock wargames before he knew I was there.

Greg

In the immortal words of Bobby Lee Swagger, "Cammo is not something you wear, it's something you do."

I've been checking out Gore's Optifade lately. Sitka is currently the only company I'm aware of that manufacturers anything with this pattern, and it isn't cheap. Of course, this is more for hunting purposes, as the development focused on the vision capabilities of ungulates.

44-5001.jpg

For animals, camo is overrated, I only use it because its durable, has good pockets and helps to keep seperate from street clothing. Agree with what previous poster said, "movement discipline", just be still, stay awake and with deer control your scent, turkeys don't care about your scent. I do use a face mask when hunting turkey and shade my eyes.

With too much camo, you can easily loose your rifle in the woods... lol.

Rapid5.jpg

first choice - it would have to be multicam. it's getting more use by "regular army" now. they are calling it ACP (afghanistan camo pattern), it also is getting called a half of dozen other things, but is multicam.

it blends just about everywhere, and really tricks your eyes.
http://www.multicampattern.com/about

i'd get it on everything, if you can.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Matt M.</div><div class="ubbcode-body">ACU is the best because it does blend into "everything", ask the army....
wink.gif
grin.gif

</div></div>

Friend of mine said they actually found a couch that ACU was nearly invisible on.

Interesting that the Army is using Multicam. Not sure it matters, nothing else ever matches anyways. Seems like you have guys running around in 2 or 3 diff types of camo and one of them never blends with the current AO.

All that said, I think the MARPAT actually works pretty well for what it is and when used in appropriate environment.

I think as far as being effective A-TACS and Multicam look the most promising.

Bulldog Tactical has a pretty cool pattern.. but they won't even let you into their site unless you register with a .mil account. We were looking at getting some of those at my last unit.. I didn't know they won't sell to civilians.. fags.. It worked really good in areas that Multicam was a little too green for...

i'm surprised how well multicam works in the tan enviorn. i hunt in... LRS_Ranger, any pics or add info on the pattern your talkin.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nw1911guy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Friend of mine said they actually found a couch that ACU was nearly invisible on.

</div></div>

Im guessing your friend was just referring to this funny pic that has been floating around the net forever.

ACU-couch-web.jpg

mix and match paterns makes a more unrecognizably human blob of splotches. tiger stripe,woodland,acu,marpat,deserts 1 2 3(chocolate chips the fave),multicam,real tree, mossy oak,treebark, flektard, rhodesian diaper fill, krylon turdflage...mix and match. it dont matter, its the state of mind the wearing of these inspires that helps most anyway. whatever helps ya feel ninji will help you hide ninji imho. just dont wear these at the mall or in a urban street market cuz you may as well be wearing red super man tights. conspicuous and awkward for everyone.

I wrote this on another board four years ago:

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">ACU does fairly well here in Baghdad, especially in town (much better than I would have thought). Troops not wearing too much black shit (slings, leg rigs, black backpacks, etc.) don't stand out too badly. The ACU is a little more apparent than 3-color DCU, only for its greener shade. Soldiers with access to spray-paint for their weapons are better off than those without.

Everything old is new again. Multicam looks a LOT like US ERDL camouflage but with less green (the pattern used on GI jungle cammies from 1969 through 1983 before BDU Woodland camouflage pattern was adopted). Multicam has more tans and khaki, but smaller print pattern than the Woodland clown pattern.

Camouflage will not make you invisible. The priniciple is to break up shape, shine, silhouette, and shadow and to help you blend. If you can do that, your cammy is right. METT-T always dictates. Multicam is good for a far wider range than Woodland.

With individual camouflage gear lighter is always better than darker. It's always easier to darken equipment than to try to lighten it up.

The US GI Vietnam-era lightweight cotton OG-107 jungle fatigues were also a great universal uniform -- you could wear them anywhere and they did their job -- jungle, desert, and urban, the more you washed them the lighter they got and the better they worked.

Ranger Green reminds me of a well-weathered GI field jacket, shelter half, or Deuce-and-a-half tarp -- the more weathered it is the better it blends with most backgrounds.</div></div>

well since I am a special forces cobra ninja dragon delta seal operator, I felt it was my duty to post.... I recommend using a multicam pattern speckled with a little sandstone brick pattern, I recently used this on my kit in Pakistan and Iran, and it worked superbly... holla, if you smell what I am cooking...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Decider</div><div class="ubbcode-body">my post's pattern, works brilliantly when transitioning from sparsely vegetated terrain to an urban environment, especially if your urban environment is a 3rd world country which is mostly in ruins and mud huts.... </div></div>

ahh yes the mud brick motif is a sure win but have ye tried any baby poo smears for contrasting oasis?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TJ.</div><div class="ubbcode-body">new british army camo

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/8422942.stm </div></div>

i actually feel stupider having watched this. "its good for where you are not perfect for where you wish to be..." what the hell does that even mean?? and whats the 3 winners modeling? slumpy, gayspaz and wolverinekiller.

cdtcensored.jpg

Picture isnt of me btw.

for my area i use AUSCAM, it's designed for the australian bush and so therefore is the obvious choice. It's designed for dry to semi-dry areas, as well as bush and scrubland.

Its versatile because it uses alot of browns, as opposed to green and black, which are far more contrasting, the brown colours blend into alot more areas and the eye skips over them alot.

Here is a pic of a Soldier all dudded up in A-Tac camo. Looks like it should work good for our Troops.
atacs0002-1.jpg

atacs-0001-1.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: harleymann02</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Here is a pic of a Soldier all dudded up in A-Tac camo. Looks like it should work good for our Troops.
atacs0002-1.jpg

atacs-0001-1.jpg
</div></div>

That looks like it should fit in a lot of places.

Mark Spicer's book <span style="font-style: italic">Sniper</span> had a great example of urban camouflage which worked brilliantly in that scenario, but would be glaringly obvious in a natural setting.

Lesson: Nothing works everywhere. "Universal camo" is an oxymoron. Improvise and adapt to where you are.

Chameleons change colors to survive. Do likewise.

Lindy that is very true and why I have 2 different sets of camo just for deer season, and thinking of a 3rd for yotes in the winter.

ACU seems to glow, guess not enough depth of color. The German tropen pattern is surprizingly effective even in AOs that are awfully green.

If I was to ever spend money on a durable color coat for my rifle I dont think I'd go with a complicated pattern. I'd opt for a simple shade of pale green or dull tan and use krylon to match my enviroment, or not. I would hazard its not the rifle itself but that scope lens that gives the position away. Some lens are quite large (50-56mm) and if someone is looking hard enough to see any cammy mismatch they MUST had seen the hubble mounted above the barrel. A black circle is kind of telling.

But as a thing of beauty I admire the workmanship it takes to do the complex patterns some rifles sport.

here is a little ole camo that has worked splendidly for me, sorry for a automated pic but done want to divuldge my exact pattern, its called "A Cardboard Box"

THEBOX.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: EricF517</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: harleymann02</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Here is a pic of a Soldier all dudded up in A-Tac camo. Looks like it should work good for our Troops.
atacs0002-1.jpg

atacs-0001-1.jpg
</div></div>

That looks like it should fit in a lot of places. </div></div>

Looks totally photoshopped in. ?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nw1911guy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Interesting that the Army is using Multicam. Not sure it matters, nothing else ever matches anyways. <span style="color: #3366FF">Seems like you have guys running around in 2 or 3 diff types of camo and one of them never blends with the current AO. </span>
</div></div>

Ahhhh, the old "I don't have to outrun the bear, I just have to outrun you" tactic.....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: harleymann02</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Here is a pic of a Soldier all dudded up in A-Tac camo. Looks like it should work good for our Troops.
atacs0002-1.jpg

atacs-0001-1.jpg
</div></div>
Really? I mean when did the ACR get deployed dipped in ATACS?
Me thinks picture is fake and photoshopped.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Savage110</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Me thinks picture is fake and photoshopped. </div></div>

This has been discussed before some forum out there. The immediate background looks legit to me, but the further area is somewhere in Iraq.

USMC%20Iraq%20MaltaisBuildingDamage.jpg

atacs0002-1.jpg

is that a photon laser pistol as a sidearm? fukin A squadcars thats sweet

For what it's worth, the background is reversed from the real photo

For deer:

I like to use different pattter up top than on my legs.

I use large splotches and spray-painted blobs rather than intricate patterns. Breaking up outline is what I want.

Camo for hunting is mostly to impress other hunters, not for successful results.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BigNate</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Camo for hunting is mostly to impress other hunters, not for successful results. </div></div>

That is true since I have shot deer with jeans and a Carhart coat on.

But Guns and Camo says we must wear the latest photo realistic camo with matching scent loc undergarments.

This year's must have are dental strips so you dont flash that rugged he-man chick magnet smile and intimidate the buck! The scent loc strips are great for keeping coffee breathe from escaping and giving you away.

LOL I just thought those scent proof gum packs were for the people who hunted and didn't own a tooth brush.

Think I like notquiteright's idea of just painting. Going to try to run the savings by the wife and see if she will let me order that Premier. I mean it is worth a shot?...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: error4o4</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've been checking out Gore's Optifade lately. Sitka is currently the only company I'm aware of that manufacturers anything with this pattern, and it isn't cheap. Of course, this is more for hunting purposes, as the development focused on the vision capabilities of ungulates.

44-5001.jpg
</div></div>

I got one of the Sitka 'Cold Front' parkas for Christmas and it is bomb-proof. Absolutely fantastic. The pattern is very unique and the quality of the parka is outstanding. Not sure how to determine the real effectiveness of the camo, or the effectiveness of any pattern for that matter - but I do like the parka.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Remoah</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
cdtcensored.jpg

Picture isnt of me btw.

for my area i use AUSCAM, it's designed for the australian bush and so therefore is the obvious choice. It's designed for dry to semi-dry areas, as well as bush and scrubland.

Its versatile because it uses alot of browns, as opposed to green and black, which are far more contrasting, the brown colours blend into alot more areas and the eye skips over them alot.</div></div> there is also an NIR version which makes you nearly invisible on most nvg's

About a year before the Army adopted Multi-Cam, I saw a guy standing next to the road wearing multi-cam, but only after he moved and I had been looking at him and didn't see him. I bought a set of multi-cam the next day.
I also mix patterns and shades depending on time of year and area.
I'm thinking, once I get a few more sets of multi-cam, about tie dying a set with a darker green so it doesn't look just tan from a distance, and wil break up the outline more.

I've seen photos leaning in both directions of the effectiveness of ACU in Afghanistan.
I'm curious how effective the Afghanistan security forces uniform(on right) is.
I think it looks far better more effective than ACU due to the depth given by the darker hues:

20113110.jpg

w15gn6.jpg

ana_un11.jpg

In Afghanistan the ACU's worked very well among the large granite boulders and rocks in the mountains. They also worked reasonably well at first and last light. In green, or tan backgrounds is where they really failed though, and those two backgrounds were definitely the most common in my experience.

The new multicam's are a big step in the right direction. My only criticism would be that once they get a litte dirty all the small color patterns blend together into one solid color and lose some of it's effectiveness. I'd like to see a hybrid multicam/BDU camouflage that incorporates the colors and small mottled pattern of multicam, overlaid over larger splotches of color, similar to the BDU pattern. In reality it may not work, but it's an idea I've had for awhile and I'd like to see how it would look.