• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Camp Perry Vintage Sniper Match

hrfunk

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 18, 2010
Ohio
I was just curious what impressions other shooters might have of this year's vintage sniper match at CP. this was my first year shooting the VSM, and I was looking forward to a fun, relaxed, event. Unfortunately, it seemed like the VSM was contentious and hectic from the opening bell. Standing in that gawd-awful line in the sun just to get squadded was a prelude to the rest of the day. Disorganization, lengthy cease-fires, and hot tempers were the order of the day. I did enjoy the shooting,and the match, in general, has a lot of potential, so maybe these are just growing pains associated with a new event (I hope so!). Typically, things run very smoothly at the National Matches, and everyone is courteous and helpful. I was disappointed to to see the VSM fall short of that mark. What did you guys think?

HRF

Re: Camp Perry Vintage Sniper Match

I intended to go, but things came up that prevented it. However, from what I've read on the CMP forums, the person calling the commands was not familiar with the course of fire and messed things up. This is one of the reasons that there was a lot of confusion and hard feelings. I know a couple of guys who shot in last year's match, also (which was the very first one) and they said it ran a lot smoother. Hoping that they have everything sorted out for next year. I'm sure they will.

To be sure. I've been shooting the President's Match and the NTI for several years and they are relatively smooth and trouble-free. That's why the VSM was kind of a shock to my system.

HRF

The vintage sniper match is relatively new to the games. After they run it a few times it will smooth out.

That's what I'm hoping.

HRF

Firing at Perry is sometimes as much an endurance contest as a shooting contest. Poorly run lines only make it worse.

Last year's match ran smooth as could be, no problems of any kind. As I recall, we had something like 150 teams, or thereabouts. I'll agree that this year's was a mess from the word go. Late start, long squadding lines, but the running of the line was a shambles. Poor communication, missed commands, poor instructions to the shooters, etc.. A genuine goat rope.

They had to know that the entries were going to be up 30% or so over last year, just following the trend of the M1 Garand match, the Carbine match, etc.. They all seem to start off at a given level, and increase about 30% per year after that until they reach range capacity for that match,whatever it might be. I'm hoping that they were taking some notes and next year this will be handled better. It may be worth mentioning that there were several key personel (like Jenny Boyd) who were not renewed this past year do to some changes in the office. Very stupid mistake on their part, and several of us anticipated that this years matches (from CMP all the way through the NRA matches) would be totally FUBAR. Not too far off in that estimation. Hopefully, they'll see the light and get them back for next year.