• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Can 100 yard accuracy predict 1000 yard accuracy?

Re: Can 100 yard accuracy predict 1000 yard accura

I guess this was aimed at me. Your post was not false or erroneous or off the mark in anyway.

You are absolutely correct in saying the only sure way of knowing how well a load will perform at 1000 yards is to shoot it at 1000 yards.

Nothing that I said contravenes that in any way, but I am explaining my method of getting to a load that I can then fine tune at 1000 yards, with the minimum amount of time and the minimum amount of expensive components.

If you cannot shoot little bitty bugholes at 100 yards with your chosen bullet and velocity in your rifle system, it will not get better at 1000 yards, so don't bother with that combo. Is this something that in any way contradicts what you said?

I am toying with with idea of either an internatinial arms 338 ore the sako trg 42 338 any ideas if the mony for the AW338 over the TRG?

Thank you for clearing that up. I was beginning to think I was losing it...

"Can 100 yard accuracy predict 1000 yard accuracy?"

Certainly.

And do it with as much certainty as the Weather Service - with all it's highly trained people and large computers - can predict next week-end's weather. Or, maybe especially, predict how hot it will be in 2,100 AD.

I really don't understand how it's possible for anyone that doesn't have access to a climate controlled tunnel with no wind, can possibly think that any group shot at 1000 yards is a good indicator of the true performance of a load at 1000 yards. Hypothetically speaking, if you had the perfect load setup, and were going to test it, if you shot it at 1000 yards and there was a breeze at some point in the mid-range that you weren't aware of, it could open your groups up enough to make you think that the load was junk. That being said, if you had a good load that had a extremely low extreme spread over the chrono, then it's quite likely that your going to have minimal vertical spread on the target at 1000 yards, but have the group strung out horizontally, which you could attribute to a uncalled, unadjusted wind.

I haven't shot 1000yards much, and when I did it was about 10years ago when I was in the army, and it was at iron maidens only. I'm hoping that I can start doing some more long range shooting here. I have a 600 yard match coming up, we'll see how bad I do.

Branden

I can see your point. But as LR experience mounts, it becomes an unstated given that wind skills are going to play a pretty significant part in the LR outcomes. I'm sorry for my part in spreading the misconception. Of course winds engender effects that cannot be simulated at 100yd in much short of a hurricane condition. Because of these variables, load testing at fractional distances often ignores or minimizes horizontal spread, and concentrates on the vertical, which is less a product of wind conditions.

Greg

When I test a load at 1000yds in South Dakota I expect to have some horzontal spread. I look for how much vetical spread I have to judge how well my load will shoot.

In fact I have a 260 I am load testing for now that was shooting 1.2 to 1.7" groups at 400yds but was dropping rounds at 1000yds to make a vertical spread of nearly 14"s. It would usually drop two out of the group. My slower Varget load keeps about a 3 to 5" vertical spread.

Greg, I'm not sure that Advix1 cleared up anything for you. At least nothing that I could see.

Advix1, I would humbly advise you to start your own thread and check your spelling, at least a little.

Dust_remover, you state: "I really don't understand how it's possible for anyone that doesn't have access to a climate controlled tunnel with no wind, can possibly think that any group shot at 1000 yards is a good indicator of the true performance of a load at 1000 yards. " My answer is that of course a group shot 1000 yards will be a great indicator of the performance of a 1000 yard load.

The issue is that many (most) people do not have ready access to a 1000 yard range that can provide instant feedback on a load. That is my case. Even though I belong to a club that has a 1000 yard range, it really is only operating once a month during the match, not a great setup to develop a 1000 yard load.

So, yes, I follow my routine to develop a load at 100 yards that I know will be on paper at 1000 yards and then I refine it from there. I see no benefit is expending bullets at a 1000 yard match and not even hit the paper. Between the effor expended to get to the match, the fee and the attendant gas expenses, I can better spend resources doing something else than sending expensive bullets hundreds of yards into the grass.

As Greg says, after several thousand rounds sent that distance one starts to develop a flair for the sport and that's where classifications come in. If it was impossible to predict and repeat shots at 1000 yards, we would all be golfing.

Sig;

I was responding to <span style="font-style: italic">you</span>. Thanks again, sometimes I need a wake-up.

All,

Perhaps, before considering this thread's question, we should consider what precludes us from shooting bullets consistently into the hole left by the first bullet fired at a target distance where changing environmental conditions are not factors to good shooting. We all understand consistency equals accuracy, yet, very few understand the best results will remain elusive until shooter consistency (follow-through/body position) is at a molecular level. In other words, the answer to this thread's question is YES; and, any thought about WHY should prompt those who want to become really good at long range shooting to perfect their marksmanship skills at less distance, with (hint) attention to making recoil predictable.