• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Can a picatinny rail be added to a 1911?

Garvey

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 1, 2010
Melissa, Texas
I've got the opportunity to get a fair deal on a Colt Government Commander. I sure like my TLR 2 on my Glock and would like to be able to swap it between both pistols. So the question is can a gunsmith do such a thing?

Re: Can a picatinny rail be added to a 1911?

It can be done. I have seen a couple that Wayne Novak has done for customers and the work and rail were both first-rate all the way. I am fortunate enough to be only a short distance from Wayne's shop here in WV, but I can vouch for the extremely high quality of his work and the reasonableness of his turnaround times on work like adding a rail to your Gov't Commander. Here is a link to his shop and the light rails he offers:

http://www.novaksights.com/products/lightrails.html

You better be sure to check and make sure that they will work with the Colt Commander before hand. It has a shorter dust cover that the 5" full-sized 1911. Most of the aftermarket rail add-ons are for the full size. Besides that finding a holster to fit you gun could also present a problem as many of the aftermarket rails sit slightly lower than the guns coming from the factory with an integral rail.

I believe that you would save money in the long run by not having to pay for a gunsmith to work on the pistol and find a railed 1911 or look for the Kimber Pro or Springfield LW Champion Operator if you are looking for the shorter barrel.

Good Luck though
JMC

http://www.dawsonprecision.com/ProductDetail.jsp?LISTID=26C0000-1094593471
023-001.jpg

surefire 1911 rail mount. Take at look at this it looks like it extends past the dust cover, so I don't know how that will work with your gun.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ORD</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Here is a link to his shop and the light rails he offers:

http://www.novaksights.com/products/lightrails.html </div></div>

Now that's what I'm talking about! I've got a fairly good array of machine shop equipment including a mill. I believe I can drill, tap and install this part myself. Thanks for the link.

Thanks for everyone's contribution. As an update the pistol is a MK IV Series 70 (full size) Stainless frame, and blued slide and barrel is this a Colt factory option? At any rate it is from a fellow fireman, has an ambi-safety and a cash deal. I would rather it was Cerakoted, matching top and bottom, and not shiny. So it looks like I'll have to put a little more coin into the pistol on top of the purchase price.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Halligan</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ORD</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Here is a link to his shop and the light rails he offers:

http://www.novaksights.com/products/lightrails.html </div></div>

Now that's what I'm talking about! I've got a fairly good array of machine shop equipment including a mill. I believe I can drill, tap and install this part myself. Thanks for the link.

Thanks for everyone's contribution. As an update the pistol is a MK IV Series 70 (full size) Stainless frame, and blued slide and barrel is this a Colt factory option? At any rate it is from a fellow fireman, has an ambi-safety and a cash deal. I would rather it was Cerakoted, matching top and bottom, and not shiny. So it looks like I'll have to put a little more coin into the pistol on top of the purchase price.</div></div>

Got pics?

Of the shop or the pistol? Just kidding I can go take some and post em here in a few.