• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Can a scope be cerakoated ....?

WCW308

Private
Minuteman
Feb 25, 2008
Central Idaho
Going to have my 22-250 action/ barrel etc. cerakoted in solid OD...can a scope be painted w/ cerakote...? I will ask gunsmith, too, of course, but thought I'd ask here.... I'd guess not...it's an expensive Leupold/metal turret caps...

Re: Can a scope be cerakoated ....?

thanx for the info that's good to know-guess he will use a lower heat /longer time to set up the paint. little nervous, must admit.

WCW,
I would talk to a smith before doing it. I had Randy coat a scope for my build. To be honest i dunno what he coated it with but it looks great. If you wanna talk to Randy he can be reached here under the name Hateca or the website is R D Precision. Hope it helps.

SOTA

thanks for the info-going to talk to my smith-he is at SHOT or traveling & sure he will have ideas; just wanted to hear the skinny from the guys who have the experience. I will try it myself one of these days...

I only use cerakote oven cure on USO. I get them in pieces before assembly. Other optics I use cerakote air cure or polane. Baking assembled optics is a gamble. I have a bad habit of leaving things in the oven like a normal bake. I have even heat cured plastic parts but you have to watch it like a hawk!

We use Air cure Cerakote for scopes that wont be taken apart.

If the manufacturer doesnt mind re-sealig it, taking it apart is the way to go.

Anodized aluminum holds C-series Cerakote VERY well with proper cleaning.

Whoops, this is Keith. I'm at a buddies and didnt realize he was logged in.

air cure Cerakote---sounds like that is the way to go...knowing what little I do about all this-hate to mess up my Leupold w FFP Premier reticle...

I wouldn't have a problen using the air cure product on a scope or baking a disassembled scope as stated above BUT, I'd sure hate to have to remove cerakote from a scope. It dries really hard. The last time I removed Cerakote was on a barreled action and I used 80 grit aluminum oxide in a blast cabinet.

NIC-Cera-Kote said to use Taurine to help get off the thin latex type clear coat off the scope for prep. At least that's how I remember it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LongArm</div><div class="ubbcode-body">NIC-Cera-Kote said to use Taurine to help get off the thin latex type clear coat off the scope for prep. At least that's how I remember it. </div></div>

Seriously? That's the stuff they put in energy drinks like Red Bull and Rockstar...

http://healthpsych.psy.vanderbilt.edu/taurine.htm

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Stratmeister</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LongArm</div><div class="ubbcode-body">NIC-Cera-Kote said to use Taurine to help get off the thin latex type clear coat off the scope for prep. At least that's how I remember it. </div></div>

Seriously? That's the stuff they put in energy drinks like Red Bull and Rockstar...

http://healthpsych.psy.vanderbilt.edu/taurine.htm </div></div>

I'm pretty sure he means Toluene

It's the same solvent that's in plastic model airplane cement.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Stratmeister</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LongArm</div><div class="ubbcode-body">NIC-Cera-Kote said to use Taurine to help get off the thin latex type clear coat off the scope for prep. At least that's how I remember it. </div></div>

http://healthpsych.psy.vanderbilt.edu/taurine.htm </div></div>

Can you imagine if that was really true? Using Taurine? If it can take the clear coat off of a scope, imagine what it can do to your internals. Some people I know drink a 5-hour shot once every two hours on a daily basis... Hard to keep up with them.
laugh.gif