• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Gunsmithing can a sidecharge handle DPMS LR308 be made?

Abs1314

Private
Minuteman
Oct 15, 2009
What's up guys... I have a DPMS LR-308 I'm interested in trying to make a side charge upper. Has anyone done or know if you can mill a stock dpms upper and drill and tap the side of the bolt carrier to accept a knob? I know there are companies making side charge versions but want to know if it can/has been done at home with a milling machine?

Re: can a sidecharge handle DPMS LR308 be made?

Yes sir. Pretty easy with a mill, a drill and a tap & die set.

Rich

You will need a carbide tap for the bolt carrier. I use 1/4-28.I would also suggest that you use a straight flute carbide drill as well. The first side charging AR uppers that Fulton Armory offered were done by me. I have done alot of them over the years so i know what works the best to get the job done. HSS Drills and taps will not work on a properly heat treated bolt carrier. FYI Carbide drills and taps are expensive.

Tool maker is right on the money.......... Bolt carriers are very hard and tough and carbide drills and taps are expensive.

I have a small machine shop in my garage. Thanks toolmaker and everyone else for your help/input ill post up pictures if I decide to go this route... Time to check out Travers and price taps and cutters for my milling machine. Thanks for helping a Noob start off in the right direction. Also Toolmaker can you post any pics of the ones you made? Any further help is very much appreciated.

MSC Direct is having a one day sale 30% off on web orders over 149 bucks.

Promo Code is WEB30 and it's good for today only. If you order by noon, you'll have the tools by tomorrow.

Sorry LR308, i dont have any pics. The last side charger i did was last june. I never did think of taking any pics. You might want to look on Fulton Armory's web site.

Yeah I already went on the site to check it out. Thanks again for the help guys