• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Can anyone familiar with Compass Lake help me?

187penguin

Private
Minuteman
Jun 27, 2010
Hello! Long time troll, first time poster.

I recently acquired a rifle with a Compass Lake upper. Supposedly the upper was originally built for a Camp Perry match. I stripped it down, inspected it for damage and took some pictures. Could anyone possibly give me any info from the attached images? All I know for sure is the barrel says "CLE 1-7 6-01", it is stamped with a "23" and a symbol that almost looks like a cross between a K and a rabbits head, and the bolt is engraved with a "23" on one side of the extractor, and what looks to be a figure "8" on the other side. I am pretty sure it is the headspacing for the barrel/bolt combo. I also believe it is a Douglas barrel, but it could be Krieger. Based on a side by side comparison to my non-chrome lined M4, and the ring around the crown it appears to be chrome lined. I'm not sure if it is painted SS or chrome-moly. It has a service rifle free float tube with conventional hand guards. The iron sights are probably the nicest I have ever handled. WAYYYY more "quality" feeling than standard G.I. stuff I have experience with, if that makes sense. The lower is Century with a "JTM" serial number?? No idea what the JTM series is, but it appears to be a perfectly adequate lower. The trigger sucks compared to my RRA NM on my M4, but better than most I handled in the Army. The hammer is stamped with "E1" (I think) and has tons of tool marks. I think it's just a polished up mil spec trigger group. Any specs on the receiver, sights, barrel, value or any other info you have time to share would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

PS. I also sent the pics directly to Compass Lake to see if they have any info.

Re: Can anyone familiar with Compass Lake help me?

Last Round!I don't know why it wont let me put them all on one.

Yeah, Theresa is really good about getting back with you. I have bought barrels from them with the same type of stamp. They do not and will not paint SS barrels, I tried and they wouldnt do it for me so I am sure unless someone else pained it its not SS.

Thanks for the replies. When I get a response from them I'll post the info here.

It really would be simpler to call Frank at CLE...

All I can tell you is, it has a cm barrel, 1-7 twist made in June of 2001. The #23 is the serial number of the barrel in that batch, it also signifies the bolt and barrel are a matched set.

I'm just hoping I'll be able to run across a handful of match ammo, it's a little hard to run by in my parts.... I'd love to put it on my NM lower half to put it through its paces!!

If the barrel is a shooter maybe I'll sell of the rest of the upper, get a flat top reciever and and make a SPR-ish thing.

Had an 18" SS Krieger done by them, with their CLE Chamber, tight, and highly accurate. Used in a Mk12 build.