• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Can anyone here make .300 Blk from my 1x fired 5.56 mil brass??

The problem with the military brass is the crimp. I make thousands of 300 blackout brass from range pick ups. I chuck the military brass. Is just to much work. I’m not cheap, I’m Frugal! ???

It’s probably not economical compared to what you can buy it for. May be better off selling the 556 and just investing the $$ and a few more in 300 blk bulk.

The guys making it are running at high speed from surplus brass now. Making it in small quantities is just no longer needed unless one is trying to learn the art for fun.

I looked into it 3 years ago when I bought a blk... so not worth it. I even tried to do it for my .14Eichelberger boltgun. After much investment in trying to buy/make/adapt tooling... I bought 500 brass and never looked back.

Just my two percent of a dollar... ymmv.

Cheers, Sirhr

The problem with the military brass is the crimp. I make thousands of 300 blackout brass from range pick ups. I chuck the military brass. Is just to much work. I’m not cheap, I’m Frugal! ???
View attachment 7118516
And to echo this... the 2000 or so ‘cheap’ Surplus .300 blk cases I bought were mixed... and a ton of them had to have crimps removed. If you are buying... ask seller if you need to remove crimp. Nothing sucks more in a Dillon than endless crushed primers!

Cheers, Sirhr

I've done it and I will echo what others are saying. It's not hard to do but it is very time consuming.
Plus, if you don't have an annealer, the brass will split after 2-3 reloadings.

There is a guy who I dealt with on 300blktalk.com. He will make 300 Blackout brass for 5.56 brass. Send him 2,000 5.56 and he will send back 1,000 Blackout and keep the other 1,000 as payment. You get back YOUR brass, not someone else's brass.

If you want I can try to track down his contact info.

I have 4K-5K pieces of once fired 5.56 so I use him rather than buy brass.

I have used a champfer bit like you buy at Home Depot for screw holes to remove the crimps on brass I make myself. Never had an issue. It is pretty quick, at least quicker than any other method for removing a crimp.

Reactions: kindabitey
I have a Dillon 1050 and full conversion setup with RT1500. If you're still hard-pressed, I'll convert it for you.

Keep in mind, only certain brass is suitable. LC, Federal, for sure. Others are too thick and you will have excessive tension. But if you have a ton of LC or Federal (others work too but have to consult the list) I'll swage it, convert it, wash it, and anneal it for you. You pay shipping.

Might take a few days, but I use all my conversions myself, and they are good to go. Yes it's a pain, but I have the setup since the days when it was super expensive and/or impossible to get.