• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Can for 308 SBR?

Knights QDC, Spec War, Saker, AWC THOR (Stainless steel version), AAC has a few.

What's your firing schedule going to look like?

Can for 308 SBR?

Knights QDC, Spec War, Saker, AWC THOR (Stainless steel version), AAC has a few.

What's your firing schedule going to look like?

Very low, going on a bolt action plinker/hunting rifle. Mainly supersonic with maybe some subsonic use but very little.

Was looking at doing a 300 Blk bolt gun but I like the extra FPS of the 308 and the ammo is EVERYWHERE.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
In that case (depending on actual barrel length - 12" min - and loads you're going to shoot) you may want to think about a lighter titanium brake-attach can. I use an AAC MK13-SD on a 12" POF 308 and it's been great. Very accurate baffle stack design and very quiet. I definitely don't push the limits with mag dumps with it though...

Very low, going on a bolt action plinker/hunting rifle. Mainly supersonic with maybe some subsonic use but very little.

Was looking at doing a 300 Blk bolt gun but I like the extra FPS of the 308 and the ammo is EVERYWHERE.

That's an awesome idea. Never thought of a 308 SBR bolt gun. I've tossed around the idea of building one from a set of Aero Precision receivers, though.

Can for 308 SBR?

That's an awesome idea. Never thought of a 308 SBR bolt gun. I've tossed around the idea of building one from a set of Aero Precision receivers, though.

I haven't really ran the numbers on a 308 yet but I have for 6.5.

I wanted a short quiet hunting gun for quite some time. I'm a lefty so gas in my face from an AR is not going to be fun. After looking at the specialty pistol/handgun velocities from 10-15" XP 100 and Strikers I decided a bolt gun was the way to go. Guys were getting 2500 FPS from 15" 260s and 6.5s shooting 140s so I am thinking 2400 FPS is obtainable in a 12" barrel. My calculator says it will still be supersonic out to 1100 yds. It will have at least 1000 Ftlbs of energy out to 400 yds which is enough for the small deer around here.

Running a 12" barrel and a 7" suppressor should put me around 18" barrel length which is very handy. The downside is I think I just learned you can't hunt with SBRs in NC. So I'd have to pin the suppressor to make it legal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk ImageUploadedByTapatalk1409755201.868589.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1409755212.396535.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1409755223.493538.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1409755230.029846.jpg

Last edited:
Honestly, there are real +s and -s with this one.
Subsonic will suppress well and the shorter barrel will not matter.
Supersonic .308 full loads will bark badly at 12" and depending on the powder used, could still be spitting burning propellant throughout the can. That translates to loud, hot cans.
And then you are stuck with the same supersonic crack all the way down range, hardly quiet. Accuracy can still be good though. 2,400 FPS is not your friend when it comes to suppression that will make a difference.
I have been down this round in both .308 and 6.5 in both subs and ss.
My advice? Recognize from the outset that suppression in a short barreled full load .308 or 6.5 is going to be a modest at best. Definitely ask if the maker of the can will build you an XL can, say one more baffle and chamber.
Definitely dump any thought of QD (not an issue if you are pinning) as that will burn up precious real estate in the can and you will want every cm.
Absolutely titanium, great Ti cans, circumferential welded 360, can take more heat than folks recognize. And dump it a whole lot faster than steel.

Honestly, there are real +s and -s with this one.
Subsonic will suppress well and the shorter barrel will not matter.
Supersonic .308 full loads will bark badly at 12" and depending on the powder used, could still be spitting burning propellant throughout the can. That translates to loud, hot cans.
And then you are stuck with the same supersonic crack all the way down range, hardly quiet. Accuracy can still be good though. 2,400 FPS is not your friend when it comes to suppression that will make a difference.
I have been down this round in both .308 and 6.5 in both subs and ss.
My advice? Recognize from the outset that suppression in a short barreled full load .308 or 6.5 is going to be a modest at best. Definitely ask if the maker of the can will build you an XL can, say one more baffle and chamber.
Definitely dump any thought of QD (not an issue if you are pinning) as that will burn up precious real estate in the can and you will want every cm.
Absolutely titanium, great Ti cans, circumferential welded 360, can take more heat than folks recognize. And dump it a whole lot faster than steel.

Yeah I understand that full power short barrel won't suppress near as well any other combination. What I don't know is will it be hearing safe? Obviously the further away I can get the muzzle away from the shooters ear the better. I'd honestly compromise on barrel length or suppressor length to have a hearing safe combination if it was possible. There's not much info out there about anything like this and maybe there is a good reason.

Since tapatalk won't actually let me edit my post.

I would also compromise on cartridge as well. I understand 6.5 won't suppress as well as .30 through a .30 can. I'd be willing to jump down to an 300 Blk if it was hearing safe.

The downside is I think I just learned you can't hunt with SBRs in NC. So I'd have to pin the suppressor to make it legal.

I have an email from the NC Wildlife Major of Field Ops saying if I could legally possess the rifle, deer can be taken with it. I will be using a 12.5" 6.8 w/ a 30PSS this year for knocking some deer in the head.

So that is easy. All supersonic rounds are not ear safe. None. Add to that a short barrel .30 or 6.5 full load through a can and you add blast dB as well. You have no choice but subsonic for ear safe. Subs also solve your can problem. I shoot both sub .308 and 6.5s they are quiet. Muff up and they can go the distance accurately as well. Subs <125 yards. I

FWIW, I shoot a 10.5" and 11.5" 5.56 (129-130 db avg), an 18" .338 Fed (131-132 db avg) a 20" 6.5 Gendel (132-133 db avg) using supers with no ear pro. Zero issues if you use a quality can, tune the rifle, and shoot the appropriate ammo. My 8.2" 300 BLK with subs rings in at 117 db avg with 185s or 194 Lehigh's, 118 dbs with 220 SMKs and a hair over 119 dbs with 240s. It's ridiculous quiet. I can get away with shooting some supersonic loads with projos under 200 grns pushing 135 dbs and easily get under 130 dbs with 350-410 grain subs out of my 8" .458..... BUT, it does have a gigantic 10.25", 30 ounce can on it. The only one I don't fuck with when it comes to ear pro is my 12" 308. It consistently pushes 140dbs on average with supersonic hand loads. Its not difficult to get full powder burn in around 9" give or take .5" with hand loads. Clearly, one could shoot any of those using some subsonic load you'd want to work up for the ultimate in quiet. For me, I use the 135 db mark as the cutoff for hearing protection.

Some will look at spreadsheets and point to some random OSHA data to make an argument around what levels you begin to sustain damage to your hearing, but they are all decibel levels that are also associated with duration of exposure that every single person I see using that argument doesn't take into account.

I have a hole in my right ear drum as a result of cutting a chute earlier than I should have on an over water jump causing me to land on the side of my head. My hearing on that side is pretty sensitive to excessive db levels. That said, I have no issues whatsoever with anything under 135dbs as long as the exposure is intermittent. I do prefer ear pro however around suppressed full auto fire just because of the duration aspect.

Every single person minus one.

Look this only really matters if you want great hearing. If you want to have other than that hearing later on in life, have at it.
35 years of suppression and still got the 4000-7000Hz intact. Nothing "random" about an audiogram.
I hear that all the time (pun), its all in the audiogram and most folks when they finally get theirs are surprised as hell.

Peace

Last edited: