• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Can for 5" barreled 300 blk?

jda2631

Private
Minuteman
Nov 10, 2009
Mississippi
What are the options out there for a can that is short, sub 6" or so, and can handle 300 blk supers out of a 5.5" barrel? All I come across are limited to 8" barrel or longer.

Yeah just checked and short configuration is under 6”. No barrel restrictions with the key micro.
E96FD7E9-F6AB-4B39-A425-3A8EF62279F4.png

Reactions: jda2631
I was looking at the micro 30, but couldn't find barrel length restrictions. I see it now, thank you for pointing it out!

A 5.5 inch 300 is going to be a treat to get running 100%. I have tried.

Although I have heard good things about the Sig Rattler.

I went back to an 8 inch barrel and all was well again.

Apparently 8.5 is the sweet spot, I understand shorter barrels and you can have bullets that don't stabilize, plus cycling issues and that's why they're not common with the quality barrel mfg.'s. IF I had one that short and wanted to suppress it I'd probably check out the Sico Omega 9k. It's a 9mm can but it can handle .300BLK just fine and being a 9mm can it may have a little room for error if in fact that barrel doesn't stabilize everything properly. It's also a fine performer for a short can.

Personally I wouldn't build an AR with a barrel shorter than 8.2 or 8.5 but I wouldn't mind owning the Sig. I'd probably get one if I didn't already have all these other AR's. If someone will buy this Noveske Johnny rifle off me I guess that's what I'd get with the money.

FWIW, my shortest one is an 8.2"bbl. PDW with a TBAC Ultra 5 on it (but I can always put the 30CB9 on it if I want more). This little fucker is cool. I think the thing is less than 2 feet long suppressed. It also runs supers or subs, suppressed or not without any hiccups, which to be honest I was kinda impressed with given the type of buttstock but these Noveske barrels are like fucking magic in SBR's man, only way to go IMO:

IMG_1063.JPG

What is the twist rate of the barrel? Hopefully 1/6 or faster.

I agree going with a little larger bore with a barrel that short.

Rex Silentium MG7 .358 has no length restrictions.

I have an 8.5" blackout home build as well. This one is maxim defense PDX. I like that MG7, like the large tube diameter.

Last edited:
I'm building an 8" barreled .300 BLK and have purchased a Nomad-30 for it.

i have 4 different 7.5 inch 300blk uppers, some have 1/7 some 1/8 and they all run great, some have adjustable gasblocks, and some dont, never had to do anything to make them run.

i use the omega and the resonator with them, although most of the time i shoot subsonic rounds

i want a 5incher also...

I'm waiting to hear back from SLRRifleworks on what cans they mount to their builds. They typically run 5-7" barrels and occasionally have cans on their micro barrels.

Omega 9K doesn’t look like it’s barrel length restricted for subs or supers from 300BLK. 4.7” and supposed to be a tough ass can.

Most any .30 caliber silencer will work.

I'm liking the idea of the Rex Silentium MG7 .358, I set an email notification on your site and saw you just got some in stock today.

Have yall tested these on a 300blk? I like the idea of the larger tube diameter, this should make it a little more effective than a smaller diameter can of the same length, right (I know there is more to the equation than that, but in general)? For a real short barrel is it needed to get a little larger bore diameter just for precaution, or no need and just get a 30 cal?

Anyone with experience with the latest OSS 762 can or any Sandman on the 300 blk Rattler? I also just picked one of these (Rattler) up and I’m curious.

I believe the wolf man in short config can do supers with the key micro brake.
I read that the wolf man was designed for PCCs, I wonder how they fair with just a pistol? I'm wanting to run something on a Beretta and a CZ Scorpion when I can find them back in stock. I have a CGS Nautilus in jail now but wanting to add a dedicated 9mm can.

Omega 9K doesn’t look like it’s barrel length restricted for subs or supers from 300BLK. 4.7” and supposed to be a tough ass can.

It's a bad motherfucker indeed. One of my favorite cans and by far my favorite 9mm can and that's why I mention it: being 9mm you get a little more room for error if the bullet doesn't stabilize completely upon exit. Just so you know, some rounds don't stabilize until after they exit the muzzle, it's not unheard of and not limited to short barrels (twist is also a factor). And twist is a factor here too, because .300BLK has such a wide range of weights it means it can only be optimized for one load OR optimized to do "okay" with all loads. Okay is just "okay".

So the 9mm can just gives you a bit more space for that bullet to wobble if that's the case plus being a shorter suppressor helps.

Want proof of fucked up ballistics?

IMG_1302.JPG
IMG_1303.JPG

Here's a strike on a Mystic X that was previously attributed to a possible loose mount. It was later found to be possibly due to 115gr. bullets with damaged tips. So two possibilities. The second though seems more apt (the can was just installed and tight, less than half a mag ran through it, zero previous problems, I don't think it shot loose...). So the bullet may have been stable in the barrel but the damage could cause it to wobble some later and looking back is probably the cause for the slightly keyholed shots that day.

If you notice the strike happened about halfway down the can, maybe 5" past the bore. It wasn't much but it was enough to throw accuracy completely out the window and it had to go back to have the entire core replaced (basically a new can, big thanks to Liberty for unfucking it fast and for "just making it right").

I'll be sticking with 8.5's for now, I want one of those Sig rifles with the 5"bbl. but I gotta wonder if that short, that maybe the 9mm version may be better. It looks like with a 6"bbl. that you're only losing a 200-300fps over a 9mm w/+P+ and similar weight bullets. You also lose the DI gas system and take up a blowback system with the 9mm and that's a helluva lot more reliable with short barrels. In fact, I think a delayed blowback would probably be more ideal for these short systems that are gaining popularity.

If it's not reliable, it's not worth it. Unless it's a range toy, I'd look at adding some length to that barrel.

So that's my 2 cents, take it or leave it.

My shortest barreled .300 BLK is using a 7.94" Noveske Diplomat. Haven't shot it yet as I'm waiting on the permission slips to come in.

I read that the wolf man was designed for PCCs, I wonder how they fair with just a pistol? I'm wanting to run something on a Beretta and a CZ Scorpion when I can find them back in stock. I have a CGS Nautilus in jail now but wanting to add a dedicated 9mm can.
Fine from folks who have run them. I have a ghost-m so I don’t bother running the Wolfman on a pistol. Scorpion would be perfect.