• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Can I buy a different Remington 700 bolt?

Ultraman550

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 8, 2011
Utah
Hi guys,

I have a few questions about my Rem 700 SPS bolt. I'm new to the bolt gun game so I'm trying to learn as much as possible. I'm fully aware that custom guns from places like GAP, Surgeon etc... all move like a hot knife through butter. The craftsmanship, look, feel and moving parts just can't be beat by an off the shelf gun like mine. When I have watched some videos and gotten behind others guns the way the bolt just moves through the action is like silk whereas mine feels like I'm dragging a steel plate over gravel. I also hate how small the bolt knob is on mine. I know I can replace the bolt knob but can I just replace the entire bolt? I know that bolts are not just drop in and that they have to be fitted by a gun smith or am I wrong? Are there any tricks of the trade you guys might be willing to pass onto this youngin'? Thanks all for your help and for all of the amazing information I have learned so far from this site.

Re: Can I buy a different Remington 700 bolt?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: xray9</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Pacific Tool & Gauge makes replacement bolts.......

www.pacifictoolandgauge.com

xray9 </div></div>
But these aren't drop in bolts. They have to be gunsmith fit so you might as well have the action trued. The bolt alone may not solve the problem. Those custom actions are so smooth because the raceways and bolt fit are held to such tight tolerances. Some of the Remington's just need to have the bolt cycled repeatedly before they work in. I'm not bashing PT&G. They have fantastic products that couldn't hurt the accuracy potential of your rifle.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Biner626</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Some of the Remington's just need to have the bolt cycled repeatedly before they work in. </div></div>
This is the key to having a silky smooth bolt. Sit and watch tv or a movie and run the bolt until your fingers bleed. Better yet, go shoot- lots.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mnshortdraw</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Biner626</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Some of the Remington's just need to have the bolt cycled repeatedly before they work in. </div></div>
This is the key to having a silky smooth bolt. Sit and watch tv or a movie and run the bolt until your fingers bleed. Better yet, go shoot- lots. </div></div>
I agree on the shooting part. I was wondering, when I read about "lapping" scope mounts you're basically smoothing out the texture to an even finish. Had any of you ever softly sanded down the contact areas on your bolt to kind of get a "head start" on the wear and tear or is this not good for it?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Biner626</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: xray9</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Pacific Tool & Gauge makes replacement bolts.......

www.pacifictoolandgauge.com

xray9 </div></div>
But these aren't drop in bolts. They have to be gunsmith fit so you might as well have the action trued. The bolt alone may not solve the problem. Those custom actions are so smooth because the raceways and bolt fit are held to such tight tolerances. Some of the Remington's just need to have the bolt cycled repeatedly before they work in. I'm not bashing PT&G. They have fantastic products that couldn't hurt the accuracy potential of your rifle. </div></div>
Hey Biner,

Can I just hand the bolt over to a gunsmith or do I need to drop off the entire firearm? I'm guessing it needs to be properly fitted to the action for the specific firearm so leaving the firearm is necessary. I think I saw somewhere on their website they can do this so I'll ask. Its just a bit confusing because I see there are guys on here who have sold used bolts so I didn't know if the other purchaser had to take them in to a gunsmith or if they were just able to drop them in with no smithing work. Anyway, thank you for your help.

Both of my SPS's have been blue printed since replacing the barrel on the first and cutting the newer one down from 26" to 20". Both bolts are fantastic but the first one became so after a few hundred cycles of the bolt in both dry fire and shooting.

My new 5R is easily as smooth as any of my other Remingtons already! I'm going to put a few more rounds through her before I decide whether or not to get her blue printed.

For starters though, do a bunch of dry firing and you'll kill a couple of birds with one stone!

You would need to drop off the complete barreled action at the gunsmith. This is so he can check the headspace. He may or may not need to set back the barrel and lap the lugs at a minimum. That's a lot of potentially costly work to have done. Unless you want to do a full build. Whatever you do. Do not take sandpaper to anything in the action. The best outcome in my opinion is to lube it and cycle the bolt. Of course that's just my opinion.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Biner626</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You would need to drop off the complete barreled action at the gunsmith. This is so he can check the headspace. He may or may not need to set back the barrel and lap the lugs at a minimum. That's a lot of potentially costly work to have done. Unless you want to do a full build. Whatever you do. Do not take sandpaper to anything in the action. The best outcome in my opinion is to lube it and cycle the bolt. Of course that's just my opinion. </div></div>
Damn, that is a huge pain in the ass. I wish there was an easy option but I guess I'll probably be biting the bullet some time or another. F'king Remington bolt handle is the most ridiculous piece of crap.

KRG makes a mod for the bolt handle. Might try that.

If you guys don't mind me asking what does it cost to get all of the above listed done? Blueprinting etc...

Have you even tried what was recommended above first? Slather a bunch of oil on the bolt and work the action...repeatedly...for hours on end...until smooth. This is not rocket science.

You could also just shoot it but that may cut in on your X-box time.

You could also just shoot it but that may cut in on your X-box time.................I LIKE