• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Fieldcraft Can I buy a greatGhillie or do I have to make it?

alfred10

Private
Minuteman
Jan 16, 2010
I want a ghillie for eastern US woodlands and grass areas. Can I buy a good one that will last or do I have to make it?

Re: Can I buy a greatGhillie or do I have to make it?

I'm new to posting here but I'm not new to guille suits. You have two options. You can buy one and try to use spray paint to match your surroundings. The good part about this is that it'll save you some time but will cost you more than building one. If you build it yourself you will know how to repair it when it loses some of it's burlap which it will do. Guillies are always an ongoing project since you have to replace, repair, or paint it to match your surroundings. Also, I'm sure you're aware of this but the suit is only a base to tie in natural vegitation. Please let me know if you need any directions on how to build one. I use mine all the time for hunting purposes and it's brought me great success.

London Bridge makes awesome suits that you have to garnish. These come w/ 550 cord sewen on and padding where you need it. I'm sure they are pricey but will last a lifetime. You can buy whatever color burlap you want and even die it to the colors you desire.

Contact Sierra Whiskey on this sight. He makes some absolutely great suits and will match the colors to your area.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rhys</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Contact Sierra Whiskey on this sight. He makes some absolutely great suits and will match the colors to your area. </div></div>

+1.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gunuserc15</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> You can buy one and try to use spray paint to match your surroundings. </div></div>

if your using it for hunting stuff, be aware to spook some stuff off at first until the paint smell disapates. takes awile, and i'm not sure if it ever goes away.

my 2 cents is: make it yourself. give you a better appreciation for the tool, and personalization is everything when it comes to comfort and colorization.

whether you buy one or not, there is going to be some alteration to adapt it to you and your area.

spray paint works great but you can avoid the smell if you dye the fabric with fabric dye you can get at walmart or you could even use food color enmass. Also if you're worried about scaring off critters with the smell load you suit in a trash bag with some natural veg and dirt. Just make sure to air it out every other day or so to avoid mold.

Re: Can I buy a greatGhillie or do I have to make

Rhys said:
Contact Sierra Whiskey on this sight. He makes some absolutely great suits and will match the colors to your area. [/quot

+1

I have few posts but lurked here for awhile. There are serveral guys on here that make high quality bases and suits. IMHO you need to get a bunch of photos and build it yourself. They are constant work in progress. If you opt to buy one, get a base from one of the guys on here and apply your own burlap. It will make you appreciate it much more. Top predator is spot on.

Here is one of SW's suits. I am laying prone with the rifle in the open. I am not behind a piece of brush, and the pic was taken at less than 10 feet.

I'd say he does good work.

SWGhillie004.jpg

Rhys I would also say you know how to use a suit.

Buy one unless you are great at sewing. I've made a few but have bought my last 2 because they are made better than my skill allows.

The suit I built (my first and only) taught me more about concealment than I had read in half a dozen books. It's worth the experience, even if you don't use it, IMHO. I found that setting up a good foundation of tan and OD-type green is good, then placing your suit in the environment in which you plan to use it. Then dye some burlap into two or three colors that match that environment (basic fabric store dye). At least, that's how I did it, and I'm pretty happy with the outcome. (of course I can't find the pic of it right now...) :-/

Our team bought the Rancho Safari long coats. At the time we bought them we were buying three and I had spoke to Jerry personally. He had a deal that we got the coat, boonie hat, and gaiters as a package.

I like the coat because it is long enough that if you dont want to mess with the gaiters, you are going to stalk low enough to cover you legs anyways. You can also leave the front open and when you lay down you are able to spread the jacket out like a blanket over you.

They are hot though. We had an op in July last year that I did not properly hydrate and bonked. Maybe they are all like that though.