• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

can I get my action trued and then the barrel cut down and rechamberd?

long range newbie

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 7, 2013
Oregon
I have a 260 rem with a 28in bbl with a med palma contour and wondering if it was possible to get it trued, melonited and have my barrel refitted to it? would I lose accuracy?

What is the round count on your current barrel? You would be better advised to just spin up a new barrel or just shoot this one out and then do the job. But the answer is yes you can do the job provided the barrel has enough shank left, but you may or may not pick up accuracy. Having a factory action trued will not always improve accuracy.

What is the round count on your current barrel? You would be better advised to just spin up a new barrel or just shoot this one out and then do the job. But the answer is yes you can do the job provided the barrel has enough shank left, but you may or may not pick up accuracy. Having a factory action trued will not always improve accuracy.
~245 rnds but probably like 220-240, its a match grade barrel made of cm.

How does it shoot now?

It shoots about .5moa(still doing load development trying to find best bullet/powder combo) but wondering if I could get better accuracy with it trued. and would melonite be a good finish? (or salt bath nitride to save $75) or should I just ceracoat?

~It shoots about .5moa(still doing load development trying to find best bullet/powder combo) but wondering if I could get better accuracy with it trued. and would melonite be a good finish? (or salt bath nitride to save $75) or should I just ceracoat?

If it actually shoots 0.5MOA, I wouldn't bother with getting it rechambered and trued. I'd probably give up on load development as well if my rifle was consistently putting them into 1/2 MOA. I've shot at maybe a dozen or better F-Class matches. I hear a lot about 1/2 MOA rifles. I've never seen one at any of the matches I've shot at. I'm sure they're around, just less common than internet forums would have one believe. I've got rifles that have shot under 0.5 MOA, but not every time. They're more like barely sub 1MOA rifles.

So how does it shoot at longrange, 300 and further? Pics of the rifle if you could? Rechamber in.................? Ceracote is a very good option. This rifle has cerakote.
lKRUlUD.jpg

If it actually shoots 0.5MOA, I wouldn't bother with getting it rechambered and trued. I'd probably give up on load development as well if my rifle was consistently putting them into 1/2 MOA. I've shot at maybe a dozen or better F-Class matches. I hear a lot about 1/2 MOA rifles. I've never seen one at any of the matches I've shot at. I'm sure they're around, just less common than internet forums would have one believe. I've got rifles that have shot under 0.5 MOA, but not every time. They're more like barely sub 1MOA rifles.
Even my 6 Creed wont shoot .5moa all day long.

ok so lets say its around .5 moa :) and don't really have info on long range performance of the rifle kinda just got into it :/ . Oh and 260 rem and I'll see if I can get pics but I have school all this week so I'll see when I can. Also what kind of pics like chamber, bolt, whole rifle, and barrel? One last question tho should the whole lugs on the bolt be making contact? because my bolt looks like only part of one side is making contact with the lugs (only side where the coating is worn and its only part of it)

Last edited:
Where did the barreled action come from? I only ask because if its an aftermarket barrel, why wasn't the action trued when the barrel was installed?

Other than that if its accuracy is consistently around .5 MOA I would just keep shooting it until the barrel is shot out. You could dump hundreds into it and maybe pick up a tenth of an inch or so in accuracy but the question you'd have to ask is are you at the level where that tenth really matters?

I agree with monkey, just wear the barrel out and in the mean time figure out what you'd like to have it chambered in, perhaps the 6.5 Creed, 6 or 6.5 Lapua, 6 Creed, 6XC, maybe 6BR. Actually, my 6 Creed does avg. less than .5moa from the last 3 trips to the range, at 300yds anyways, I'm partial to the 6 Creed, hopefully my next 6 Creed build will be ready soon and the USPS won't lose the damn thing.