• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

can i get some opinions !!!

Ben Sjoerdsma

Private
Minuteman
Mar 9, 2010
Illinoise
I have a rem 700 .308 that a bought from a friend. it has a heavy 26 inch barrel a 2.4 pound trigger and a iron brigade armoury scope mount/ base! as of right now im getting the barrel recrowned and geting it duracoated in combat black.my friend i bought it from did long range competitions and said it shoots great groups at 500 yards.. i love building rifles but this one is got me stuck! i want a tacticle stock but i dont know what type to get! right now im leaning toward the mcmillian a5! the two scopes im stuck on is the nikon monarch x or spend extra money on a nightforce any suggestions

Re: can i get some opinions !!!

You could go with a McRee! or an AICS!

definitely NF...id upgrade glass first before anything else. Optics and ammo would come before a stock for me. YMMV though

Big difference in price between the two scopes you mentioned.

If you can afford the NXS then go for it! Great scope,with alot of different options!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: deadly0311</div><div class="ubbcode-body">definitely NF...id upgrade glass first before anything else. Optics and ammo would come before a stock for me. YMMV though </div></div>

+1

glass is def first on my list but are they worth the extra 500 over the monarch! can tou explain please this long range shooting is new to me

the reason i am considering these to scopes is because all my scopes on my huning rifle are nikon monarchs and i love them! and the monarch x is the tacticle versoin with the 30mm tube! but akk the hype seems to be about nightforce thats why i have this debate!

I have Nikon Monarchs and NF Benchrest & NXS scopes. There really is a difference & reason for the cost differential. NF's are all illuminated, etched reticles, very sturdy, great eye relief/less blackout, much better choices of reticles than Nikon, 30mm tube has more windage / elevation ability. I would say they are brighter & sharper. I would guess others here know more about how rugged they are. Also, they hold their value. The NXS is really the only choice - forget about the front AO when prone or hunting...my >02.

Definitely NF NXS. Take a serious look at the NP-R1 reticle if you decide to go with MOA adjustments.

IF you want to spend less money and get a good stock, consider Bell and Carlson. They are by now means a McMillan, but they are a definite improvement over the stocks that come on a Remington.

Building the gun up is half of the fun. Enjoy the process with whatever you decide.

so pretty much they are all aroung better scopes haha i wanna know cause i wanna make this the all aroung long range rifle! what about ammo and bullet grain!

You can't go wrong with Fed Gold match .308 ammo. Black Hills is also great. Neither are hunting loads, though...

One piece of good glass switches over to your next rifle a hell of a lot better than little parts and pieces do.... +1 on going with nice glass buy once cry once

ok you all sold me on nightforce! i used to believe more guns the marrier but now i am into quality! so any suggestoins on power and reticals! i bought it for long ranges and cyote hunting im not into high powered scopes cause the marine corps tought me its useless

It's tough to beat the 3.5-15x50 IMO. It has a shit load of internal adjustment!

As far as reticals go? Well if you are wanting to go MOA/MOA,then i like/suggest the NP-R1.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: long range dogr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It's tough to beat the 3.5-15x50 IMO. It has a shit load of internal adjustment!

As far as reticals go? Well if you are wanting to go MOA/MOA,then i like/suggest the NP-R1. </div></div>

+1
I have one on my 300 WBY and it is bullet proof.

A mil dot on a NXS is a mil based retical. The NP-R1 is moa based.

Either route you decide to take will be easier if your retical and turrets match.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ben0341</div><div class="ubbcode-body">now what is the difference between mils and mil dot?</div></div>

They are the same thing.

Mils refers to a unit of measurement, a mil-dot refers to the reticle inside of you scope. The mil-dot is a very useful (if applied properly), can be extremly useful in ranging and holds.

In a Army mil-dot reticle, the dots are .2 mils and the space in between dots (baseball shaped) are .8 mils, I belive that the Marines use a football shaped and have a different space values in the reticle.

Hopefully someone with far more knowledge and experience will come along and help you out better then me.

I have the zero stop on one of mine, and it is very nice.
If you're going to shoot competitions I would would suggest it.
If not, it would be kind of hard to justify the extra money.

BTW, I would really suggest getting the NP-R1 instead.

+1 on NP-R1.

and I shared my opinion on the zerostop with your other thread in the optic sub-forum.

Dyl..