• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Can I put a DPMS upper on a S&W AR 10 lower?

copterdrvr

Private
Minuteman
Apr 10, 2012
Lafayette, Looziana
Friend picked up a SW AR10 and it shoots LOUSY groups. I said change the barrel and he said he can't because the upper uses proprietary parts.

Will a DPMS type upper fit on a SW AR10 lower?

Last edited:
Nope
M&P10 is proprietary pretty-much everything... Some DPMS-pattern parts may fit, but they will not work

Surprised about the lousy groups, though. With the 5R barrel the M&P10 is known to offer pretty good accuracy; mine is a shooter.

Last edited:
This is why I steer any one asking away from the S&W MP10. It's essentially a throw away gun. I remember a guy had a barrel that got mud in it in a 3 gun match and cracked his barrel. Barrel is proprietary so he couldn't replace it, S&W told him they don't do barrel replacements and offered him a new firearm at a huge discount of $200 more than he paid foe his gun..

no thanks

Crap-that's what I was afraid of.............. He's tried like 10 or 12 different types ammo and at best it shoots "OK".----barely.....

He was a SWAT/SNIPER in his younger days and he knows how to shoot and multiple inch groups at 100 yards ain't cuttin' it...

He's already said that he would dump it if it won't do any better and I HATE it when a manufacturer comes up with all this proprietary crap to "own" the owner.

I think the only option is to have a custom barrel made by a gun smith. In this market, better off putting it aside and putting the money into another rifle.

I had to put an adjustable gas block on mine to get it to shoot OK. Note that the gas block had to be ground off--literally turned the whole thing into dust, as they used loctite fuchia or something.

I seem to remember someone saying the barrel extension is proprietary on the factory barrel and that it would would have to be removed and used on the new custom barrel. I bought an m&P10 when they first came out because I didn't know any better. Adding an adjustable gas block fixed feeding/cycling issues. Mine shoots great still. I think people could overheat the pencil barrel easily and compromise it's accuracy.

This is the whole problem with the AR10 market. It's a quagmire of proprietary parts and pieces with no rhyme or reason from manufacturers.

With Mil-spec guiding the AR15, its become the firearm equivalent of a big boys Lego set. You can mix and match or swap every single part or piece from any manufacturer.

It's a shame that so many AR10 buyers have gotten caught on the bad end of the deal.

Friend picked up a SW AR10 and it shoots LOUSY groups. I said change the barrel and he said he can't because the upper uses proprietary parts.

Will a DPMS type upper fit on a SW AR10 lower?
you can swap out the BCG and Barrel, this will work in a S&W upper receiver, the Smith bolt and barrel are proprietary and will not interchange with DPMS style parts. I had to do this to convert one to 6.5 Creedmoor, and it shoots great.

you can swap out the BCG and Barrel, this will work in a S&W upper receiver, the Smith bolt and barrel are proprietary and will not interchange with DPMS style parts. I had to do this to convert one to 6.5 Creedmoor, and it shoots great.

What exactly did you buy exactly to convert your m&p10 to 6.5? I have one in 308 and want to convert as well

Reactions: Sainte70