• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Can I re-barrel a SR-25 EMC to 6.5CM with out a bunch of brain damage?

nexusfire

Secks fi millimeet
Minuteman
Sep 9, 2010
Mesa, AZ
Like the title says I would like to put a 6.5CM barrel on my SR-25 EMC. Does anyone do this? Don't want to drop $3800 for a new upper. Thanks!

Their barrel extension is proprietary, you'd have to have a barrel to work with their extension and swap. I believe Chad Dixon can do that, check with LRI.

Their barrel extension is proprietary, you'd have to have a barrel to work with their extension and swap. I believe Chad Dixon can do that, check with LRI.

True, the bolt & the barrel extension are proprietary; not familiar with Chad Dixon, but I'd expect that KAC would probably either sell you a new barrel or install new one on your upper.

They are not half bad to deal with in my experience.

If they do it, you will maintain the value of your gun,

Let us know how you make out.

MM

Reactions: nexusfire
It is only rocket science if you are working to maintain a gas block. Just about everything on a KAC SR25 barrel is not standard. Some you can live without, like the 3/4" threads on the flash hider, and the positioning of the suppressor pins (if you dont want a suppressor, or are not going to use a KAC suppressor).

We build SR25 barrels. Right now, not doing 6.5 CM, but we could. We make them perfect for Mk11 and M110 suppressors, and make the profiles perfect. Knights will most not likely sell you a barrel. They will only replace if yours is damaged. I don't know Chad, but I do know a lot of people in the KAC armoring business.

PM me for more information, and let me know the condition and length of your barrel. I think EMC is 16", right ?

I would use an upper receiver built to match/fit SR25 lowers and just build a new upper half. You'd be un-tethered from KAC barrel extensions, bolts, etc, and would not be spending the premium from the KAC 6.5 upper. Genesis makes 'clone' SR25 uppers:

https://genesiscnc.com/product/genesis-308-upper-receiver/

Then use whatever 6.5 barrel assembly and bolt you want.

An MWS upper would also be an option. I tried to mix/match an OBR and SR25 but the fit was bad and the pins almost needed to be drifted into place.

In this way, you will have another upper half for significantly less than $3800 (and probably not too much more than paying to have your EMC upper torn apart and barrel extension re-purposed). You'll also keep the EMC upper intact to have a short .308.

I think I would regret tearing an EMC apart. They have a lot of intrinsic value that seems to get higher by the day; they are definitely worth more used than the newer URX4 pattern guns. If it's a trade-in gun especially- collects seem to give a premium for those.

I'm pretty sure KAC won't work with you. They only care about their Mil contracts. I have a SR-15 that hasn't worked since i bought it. I've sent it back 4 times now and they can't seem to fix it. They keep replacing the barrel and saying they test fired it, but when I get it back it won't cycle a single round of NATO spec ammo. They won't let you talk to the gunsmith or anyone other than the lady in customer service. She's great, but can only relay a message to them. Very frustrating. I have been a KAC fan boy and currently own 9 of their rifles. I'm done with KAC after this. If it wasn't a factory SBR that I waited a year to get, I'd just cut my losses.

The 2nd time I sent my gun in to be fixed, they sent me an email and said they received a big mil contract and my rifle was pushed to the back of the line.
I would not buy a KAC rifle. Their are better options and their customer service is terrible if your not military.

I'm pretty sure KAC won't work with you. They only care about their Mil contracts. I have a SR-15 that hasn't worked since i bought it. I've sent it back 4 times now and they can't seem to fix it. They keep replacing the barrel and saying they test fired it, but when I get it back it won't cycle a single round of NATO spec ammo. They won't let you talk to the gunsmith or anyone other than the lady in customer service. She's great, but can only relay a message to them. Very frustrating. I have been a KAC fan boy and currently own 9 of their rifles. I'm done with KAC after this. If it wasn't a factory SBR that I waited a year to get, I'd just cut my losses.

The 2nd time I sent my gun in to be fixed, they sent me an email and said they received a big mil contract and my rifle was pushed to the back of the line.
I would not buy a KAC rifle. Their are better options and their customer service is terrible if your not military.

Our warfighters should and always be at the front of the line. They are fighting for our freedom and should always be taken care of first. If that bothers you, you should reassess.

Kay is a great lady at KAC heading up CS. If you have an issue, contact Jack Leuba, he will talk to you about your issues over the phone.

Your rifle is 100% stock as it came from KAC? And it doesnt run on full port pressure 5.56 ammo? What ammo have you tried? Is this a Mod 1, 2? Have you swapped uppers on this lower? Have you swapped BCGs? What steps have you done to troubleshoot? What failures do you have specifically? What magazines do you use?

Last edited:
Reactions: bigjake83
But back on track... As others have stated I would just put on a completely new upper and not re barrel that one you have.. Mega, LMT, Larue and some others, work on the KAC SR25 Lower.