• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Can I tnstall rings (Nightforce or Seekins) without a torque wrench?

You can install them with a pair of pliers if you wanted to.

IIRC, in Badger's instructions for their rings they say to tighten 90 degrees past finger tight if you don't have a torque wrench.

I wouldn't recommend it...you can accidentally over tighten and FUBAR your glass - just not worth it. You can find the Wheeler FAT wrench usually for around $50.00. I've used mine so many times already it's already paid for itself 10 fold.

718023.jpg

I'll probably get lambasted for saying this, but Yes, of course you can install your scope rings without a torque wrench. And if you are careful, everything will be fine and there will be no catastrophic results.

Before the advent of the all-knowing inter web experts, it was probably more common for people not to use a torque wrench than the other way around. A person just has to be careful and treat the rings and fasteners with the proper amount of attention.

This opinion applies even more so to high quality rings like Nightforce and Seekins, as they are precision ground and will not distort your tube.

Just be sure that you keep the gaps on both sides of each ring equal and use a back and forth pattern (similar to how you tighten lug nuts on a wheel) to bring even tension to all fasteners on a ring.

Common sense approach will serve you fine. I mounted many scopes before purchasing a torque wrench. I would prefer to use one for piece of mine and to avoid ring marks. Just remember a little to loose is better than a little too tight.

Common sense approach will serve you fine. I mounted many scopes before purchasing a torque wrench. I would prefer to use one for piece of mine and to avoid ring marks. Just remember a little to loose is better than a little too tight.

This...

And think about what inch-lbs means. If the spec is 25in-lb, that means 25lbs of force at 1" out from center of the screw. You can probably guess relatively close to that and call it good.

Please go spend $15 on a torque wrench at harbor freight, instead of destroying your Nightforce.

How in the world do you afford ammo?

You could, but I would suggest you have someone local help you out and borrow theirs or get your own. Otherwise be very careful, sure people used to do it without a torque wrench, but they also were not mounting optics nearly as nice as the stuff many of us are currently playing with. A torque wrench is cheap insurance that no mishaps happen and that it is torqued enough that it won't slip on you.

You could, but I would highly recommend using a torque wrench. Well over 90% of issues that we see are caused by some sort of improper mounting. Over torquing rings falls in that category.

Best Regards
Scott

I am with those who strongly advocate getting a torque wrench. The Wheeler Fat wrench is inexpensive and will save you some possible problems and head aches. That said before I got my torque wrench years ago I used the tighten 90 degrees past finger tight method and usually it worked out fine. Just make sure if you don't get a torque wrench you don't over tighten or you wiil FUBAR you scope as others have said.

Use the Allen/Torex wrench supplied, put the long end of the wrench in the screw and use the short stubby end as the handle. That is all the more torque you need. That will get you by until you can beg or barrow one.

Please go spend $15 on a torque wrench at harbor freight, instead of destroying your Nightforce.

How in the world do you afford ammo?

Hahahaha good question!

Seriously, a torque wrench really isn't that expensive and can make a difference. Not a game changing difference, but well worth spending less than a box of good ammo.

Like stated above, I have the Wheeler FAT Wrench and it works awesome and easily fits in your range bang. Got it on sale at Cabela's for $45. Well worth it.

I am absolutely baffled by the number of responses to these threads that advocate using a $15-$50 Chinese made torque wrench to tighten a $150 set of rings around a $1,500 scope. I got a FAT wrench as gift and tested it against my other, higher quality wrenches. Set at 25 in-lbs, it would sometimes click at 15 and sometimes as high as 40. It is no longer in my house.

I am absolutely baffled by the number of responses to these threads that advocate using a $15-$50 Chinese made torque wrench to tighten a $150 set of rings around a $1,500 scope. I got a FAT wrench as gift and tested it against my other, higher quality wrenches. Set at 25 in-lbs, it would sometimes click at 15 and sometimes as high as 40. It is no longer in my house.

Yep, I've been a mechanic for 25 years, and I'll take no torque wrench over a cheap shit torque wrench..