• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Can I zero @ 100 with 45MOA

I believe your scope has 70moa total, 35moa up and down, the last few are always "ifeeee", but with full down you'll have a CALCULATED 10moa elevation, you haven't said what your shooting, but if it is a big slow moving round, maybe a 50cal muzzel loader, then yes, you may need 10moa to zero at 100. Do some research on your round, determine where 10 moa will give your load a -0- and start there, with a 45minute base you must have a good (long) range to work with.

Using a MK4 6.5X20 M5

I asked this same question in the wrong form (observation dev)

my question was this , will I have enough travel in the MK 4 scope to zero a 338LM @. 100 yards or would I be best suited to zero at 300 ( I would prefer if possible a 100 yard zero ) thanks in advance for your advice William

I'm sorry if this is not helpful but fwiw here is a drop chart for a .338 LM (Hornady 250g BTHP) with a BC of 465.

Clipboard02_zpsa9674cce.jpg

So you will end up with +10 MOA with this setup, leaving you at around 565 yard zero when your scope is bottomed out. You would be 11.1 MOA high at 100 yards if you were to zero at 600.

So question; why are you wanting to shoot at 100 yards with a 338LM? Seems like kinda a waste.

You have a problem, the answer is yes and no. you could shoot a very tall target, with full down and look for around 10 inch high group, this kinda works-and is better than nothing. But with a 338 LM, lets say you are shooting a 225SST@3000 you're going to be down around 40inches at 500-quick and dirty-8MOA, you'll need to move to the 600 line before you'll need any ups. Unless you are going to be doing all your shooting @ or above 600 yards, you'd be better off in a new base, you're usually better off shooting nearer the ocular center of correction (regardless of what some may tell you). Get out a ballistic table, to use as a guide, only you know where and how long a range you'll be shooting, and buy a base that will best work for you. The 20MOA base is very popular, but if you're going to be shooting at ranges no longer than 1000 yards, a 10MOA may be the better choice for your rig. Hope this helps.

Im not following? Do you have a very steep rail like 40 moa or greater? If not then you should have no problem. Or do you want to know if you will have enough travel to get out to extreme ranges?

Sorry guys I'm probably not saying this correctly and please excuse me for that

my set up is a TRG42 338 I have a Near 45moa rail on its way , I have a set of
Badger rings and the MK 4 scope ( my thought was to get on paper zero @ 100 and work my rifle out to 1300, for know with bullet flight
I wasn't sure with 45MOA If I would run into issues

Im not following? Do you have a very steep rail like 40 moa or greater? If not then you should have no problem. Or do you want to know if you will have enough travel to get out to extreme ranges?
I believe the question he asked, in the start of the string, was regarding a 45MOA BASE-hope this helps.

No, you will not be able to zero your Leupold with a 45MOA base if the total internal elevation travel is really only 70MOA. Theoretically you will be ~5MOA short of zeroing, but if there is really 80MOA or more of internal travel, or there is more down than up travel, it might work. However, you could zero at 600 yards and have about ~5MOA to spare, which is a good thing.

With 70MOA of internal elevation travel, the largest base cant you can have with a 100 yard zero is ~40MOA. However, the erector would be at one limit, so you should back off to a ~35MOA base cant.

Last edited:
The numbers do not sound favorable but you never know until you try!

( Btw; in my experience, the 45moa base is ideal with a NF f1 or NF 5-22.)

You have to much angle with the 45 MOA base. Either replace the base with a 20 or 25 MOA base or get a different scope with at least 100 MOA elevation adjustment.

OFG

Currently I shoot a Savage BA110 .338LM. I have a Murphy custom rail with a 40 MOA cant. I've zero'd out my NF 5.5-22x50 scope. Had to swap my Badger med. rings
for a pair of NF high rings. I've had no issues with zeroing at 100 yds.

Having a new .338LM built. This will have a Murphy custom rail with a 45 MOA cant. For now, I plan on using the same scope/rings and will zero at 100 yds.

I would consider a 200-300 yd zero. You will likely find that the groups are tighter (in MOA) at those ranges than at 100 anyway. I'm thinking, considering bullet drop, you'll be fine. Even if you have to hold under an MOA or two that's not so bad.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2