• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Can mushroomed brass be saved?

canezach

House of Chingasos
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Apr 18, 2014
    Colorado
    I bought a new set of Hornady Match dies, but I forgot they have a roll crimp and I didn't have the seater set up properly, so I mushroomed a couple of rounds. Can they be saved or am I better off just trashing them?
    20200712_185859.jpg

Pull the bullets dump the powder deprime and toss the cases.
    Pro-tip: If you do plan on roll crimping cases at some point, set up the die for your crimp depth, then unscrew the die from your press and put a 7/8 flat washer under the die. Screw the die back in, now you can seat bullets without using the crimp. Once you have a bullet seated to the depth you want, back off the seater stem, unscrew the die, remove the washer and screw the die back in your press. Run your cartridge into the die, then screw the seating stem in until it makes contact with the bullet. Now you are set to seat and crimp in one step.

Reactions: canezach
    Yeah, I figured I'd be tossing them. I appreciate the tip, but I have never crimped a case for a bolt gun and honestly can't think of a time i would need to. Hopefully it'll help some other shooters!

I set my gas gun dies up like that for bullets with cannelures. This way I can experiment with seating depth without crimping until I’m ready to do so.