• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Can my barrels be rechambers for a looser neck?

bhoges

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 11, 2003
Plainview,NY
I have a Nesika Model K repeater in 260. I had a spare barrel a 1/8 chambered and had the orginal barrel 1/9 set back at the same time. I wanted the 1/8 for 139gr Lapua and the 1/9 for lighter bullets. Well I told my smith to tighten up the chamber but he made it a bench rest rifle. Now at .288 its too much work cutting down the brass. Im thinking of a no turn .295. I havent even shot the rifle due to the fact that I hate turning brass.

Re: Can my barrels be rechambers for a looser neck?

In a word, yes! It's a bit touchy, you need a really good feel for your lathe, or you can just use a t-handle and run the reamer in by hand.

Re: Can my barrels be rechambers for a looser neck?

No way I mean having a smith do it. I would never try that on a custom rifle. I figured it would be a little cheaper since all the rough work is done already.

Re: Can my barrels be rechambers for a looser neck

As Willsnipe stated but the smith must be good and have the proper neck cutter reamer, you really don't need to run the reamer in only a neck reamer of the correct size and work carefully.