• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Can parallax adjustment affect POI?

Re: Can parallax adjustment affect POI?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Longshot38</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If it does you need to new scope. </div></div>

??

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Longshot38</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If it does you need to new scope. </div></div>

No, if it does you need to dial in your parallax. Adjustable parallax gets the image and the cross hair on the same focal plane. without doing that if your position is slightly off it will affect your POI. Correctly adjusted if you move your head around behind the scope the cross hair will not move. Incorrectly adjusted the cross hair will move with the movement of your head, all this while nothing is touching the gun.

Cheers,

Doc

If your eye position is off center, and you shoot a group with the parallax not corrected, your point of impact is different than if you center your eye, or position it any other way. If you can shoot in this position with repeatability (quite difficult) you may end up with a nice group, but when you correct the parallax and shoot again the POI will be different.

I think he is asking if adjusting the parallax can affect poi.

And the answer is it depends on the scope. A lower end scope will change poi at different magnifications and possibly different parallax settings. A good scope will not, or not to a large degree.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: peacemaker.45</div><div class="ubbcode-body">And the answer is it depends on the scope. A lower end scope will change poi at different magnifications and possibly different parallax settings. A good scope will not, or not to a large degree. </div></div>Nope. Are you making this stuff up? See what Doc said above.

I am about to purchase my first scope. It happens to have a parallax ajustment. This thread has scared me a bit. Is parallax ajustment pretty self explanitory or will I be lost and not be able to shoot accuratly with out knowing exactly what I'm doing?

Well, the POI on *poorly* adjusted as in done WRONG is still potentially moved less than 1 MOA at most commonly-encountered situations.

They are called "side focus" because there is a corresponding fuzziness in image that you get when it's adjusted wrong.

So don't worry, the potential for POI change tends to be self-correcting. I'm a calibration nut (check my bubble levels for the same reading in both directions on a surface every time I use them), and the fixed rifle/wobble your head behind the scope check usually shows only about 1/4-MOA of reticle movement when I have the side focus looking anywhere close to right.

Thanks. Not so nervous now.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: doc76251</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Adjustable parallax gets the image and the cross hair on the same focal plane. without doing that if your position is slightly off it will affect your POI. Correctly adjusted if you move your head around behind the scope the cross hair will not move. Incorrectly adjusted the cross hair will move with the movement of your head, all this while nothing is touching the gun.

Cheers,

Doc </div></div>

Doc nailed it on the head. What he said is exactly right for the way scopes are supposed to work (when scopes are working properly).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Graham</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: peacemaker.45</div><div class="ubbcode-body">And the answer is it depends on the scope. A lower end scope will change poi at different magnifications and possibly different parallax settings. A good scope will not, or not to a large degree. </div></div>Nope. Are you making this stuff up? See what Doc said above. </div></div>

Graham, Peacemaker is actually correct in a way. I have gone through a lot of scopes from low end to high end and a lot of the lower end cheap scopes have problems where Point Of Aim changes when you twist the power ring or twist the parallax ring.