• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

F T/R Competition Can somebody explain rear bag selection and use?

ghostwriter247

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 11, 2011
mount pleasant iowa
I'm looking for a rear bag for prone and bench shooting at the range at 800 to a thousand yards and there are alot of options. Also im shooting a 10 ba so its got the magpul adjustable atock that is flat on the bottom.

I assume I would want a flat top bag then correct?

I looked at the seb bags and protektor but wasn't sure how to size them (or use them for that matter). I haven't ever shot with a rear bag before.

First question I guess is do you pick a height and adjust to it or find a good prone position and measure height to the stock?

How exactly do u micro tune the height to get on target? Do u squeeze just the ears portion?

I've read a number of posts but don't understand the mechanics of it to know what's being said.

Thanks

With a flat bottom stock it leaves out some variables. i like the newer "gatorhead" style with a solid, sturdy bottom and a heavy leather upper. it moves very little if at all under recoil. I have a home made wooden box that my "other" smaller bags sit in that utilizes thin wooden plates apporox. 1/8" thick that i add to or take out depending on the height i need. the "plates" fit exactly the deminsion of the box so as not to move around under recoil. the sides of the box are only about 3/4" high so it does'nt interfere with everything else and the front is open to allow to slide the "plates" in and out as needed. Hope this answeres your question.

Yea it is. I picked up a cheap Caldwell just to try it out. When they say large doughnut does that further stabilize the side to side I trust?

Alot of the ones I saw said heavy base?

With the Caldwell I just squeeze the bottom. with the upper end heavy bases is the ear a separate chamber and you squeeze the ears?

Thanks

If you are trying to shoot F class you don't want to be squeezing. You want the bag to settle and you adjust your bipod to compensate. I use an Edgewood with the handle, there are others that work just as well. You want it stable, no wobbling.

Stock ergos are very personal. In an F-TR rifle where you don't have a joystick to adjust the front rest I like to have some drop to the bottom of the buttstock so I can slide up and back and adjust my vertical POA. I don't like a lot of drop, it makes the rifle want to hop up on recoil.

The general idea is to let the rifle ride the bag w/o a lot of input from you.

+1 for no squeezing. You want a little slope to the bottom of your stock in order to be able to fine tune your elevation. I use the Edgewood rear bag, very solid. Gary Eliseo (CMI-Competition Machine Inc.) makes a dedicated bag rider for his stocks New for 2014 F class rear bag rider | Got X Ring for the 3/4" wide bag ears. It fits perfectly in the ears so that it rides the bag, not the ears, otherwise your rifle won't be indexing on the stable bag.

XTR said:
If you are trying to shoot F class you don't want to be squeezing

Tell that to Ray Gross, Brad Sauve, and Paul Philips (the last time I shot with him he was still a bag squeezer). All members of the F-TR National Team...

RobertB, I'm confused when you say " Harris isn't a bipod that allows front elevation". I own three of them and all of mine will adjust the front legs. One of them even has grooves in the legs for "solid" positioning every 1/2 inch or so.

You need to define your intended preference - Tactical or Benchrest.

Your getting info from people that use a bipod and rear bead bag as well information from those that use a Protektor style bag and some sort of a front rest "system".

Edit - I see you are using a Harris bipod. This leads me to think more of a practical/tactical type set up. You will adjust course elevation off your Harris than fine tune elevation off your rear bag.

I use a Triad wedge. Works great on my Magpul PRS stocked AR's Hoping it will work as well on The McMillan HTG stocked rifle I have in route.

Last edited:
I run a protektor 13l hard bottom bunny ear, I run black heavy sand in mine. About 50% full and squeeze the bottom section of the bag to adjust elevation. My bunny ears are filled fairly firm. I use a Harris bipod, but this simmer in going to build a f class style bipod.

I do have a Tacticool round tube bag and square one also. But if I'm just punching targets the protector is the one used.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

What is the width of the bottom of your stock?

I'm looking for a rear bag for prone and bench shooting at the range at 800 to a thousand yards and there are alot of options. Also im shooting a 10 ba so its got the magpul adjustable atock that is flat on the bottom.

I assume I would want a flat top bag then correct?

I looked at the seb bags and protektor but wasn't sure how to size them (or use them for that matter). I haven't ever shot with a rear bag before.

First question I guess is do you pick a height and adjust to it or find a good prone position and measure height to the stock?

How exactly do u micro tune the height to get on target? Do u squeeze just the ears portion?

I've read a number of posts but don't understand the mechanics of it to know what's being said.

Thanks