• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Can somebody help me identify this?

shoot_steel17

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 29, 2018
PNW
I'm hoping somebody can help me with the name of this attachment. It's not mentioned in the nomenclature of the M40A6 and I've tried searching for things such as buttstock attachments and bag riders and can't seem to locate it. I'm guessing it's made by magpul but I can't find it on their site either. I appreciate any help.

IMG_3150.png

Maybe never made it to production? The picture is from a prototype I think; it looks a little like something LaRue makes called a Tactical POD (Prone Optimization Device). Sorry I can't help much more.

Reactions: shoot_steel17
It's part of the XTM Handstop Kit

I'm not the OP but that's a pretty good find, very clever of you! What do you think it's intended purpose was? It doesn't sit high enough to be a monopod and it wouldn't make any sense as a bag rider?

Last edited:
Good spot Trigger Monkey! OP, that "part" can be put anywhere there is a bit of Picatinny rail, I've learned, just because something was designed for a particular purpose does not mean that is all it will be used for! This was brought home when I saw some SF guys running Accu-Shot monopods as fore grips on carbines. I asked why and was told because they "don't break when doing muzzle strikes", which is why we started making the BT27 verticle fore grip. Gun guys doing gun stuff, gotta love it.

Reactions: shoot_steel17
Good spot Trigger Monkey! OP, that "part" can be put anywhere there is a bit of Picatinny rail, I've learned, just because something was designed for a particular purpose does not mean that is all it will be used for! This was brought home when I saw some SF guys running Accu-Shot monopods as fore grips on carbines. I asked why and was told because they "don't break when doing muzzle strikes", which is why we started making the BT27 verticle fore grip. Gun guys doing gun stuff, gotta love it.

Actually I run that piece from the Magpul handstop kit and one of the rail covers on my AX AICS stock assembly. It’s a little lower profile than the stock piece and provides good surface area to rest the rear bag on.

Thank you all, and thanks Trigger Monkey that would be the one. I like how low profile the thumbhooks are and they work great to pull the buttstock into the shoulder. Theis I like the prototype, will keep my eye out for it.