• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Can someone help me est volocity

Skeet375

Private
Minuteman
Mar 7, 2008
SW WA
Im shooting 71.3 gr. of rl22 with federal magnum match primers under a 190gr. berger vld in my .300 win mag. with a 26 in barrel. Im guessing its about 2800 fps. Just trying to get in the general area to do some comparisons. Thank you

Re: Can someone help me est volocity

Sooooo many variables. Up here faster than at sea level etc etc.
Do yourself a favor and buy a Chrony. I've tested mine against two other brands that cost 3X as much and they were all within 5 fps at 15'.

1) Mr. Humble nailed it.

2) I'd expect it's faster than that from a 26" barrel. I get better velocities than that with my 30-06 and 208 Amax with a 26 barrel.

How much faster? Maybe 2950 ish, but again, go back to what Mr. Humble said. I farted around without one for years, I'm sure I wasted more components than what the Chrono cost.

I would say in the 2900fps range but like mentioned a chrongraph is a very good thing to have. I wouldn't recommend a Chrony brand. Had one and wasn't impressed but there are others like CED or PACT would work or if you can find a used Oehler 35.

If you have access to a known range of 400 yards or more, zero at 100 and then shoot a group at 400 or so. Using the published BC for the Berger you can then go to JBM website and play with the known drop to establish the velocity. Just be sure that the 100 yard zero is correct and the scope height above the barrel is measured. JMHO

I will start shoping around for a Chrony. Need one anyways. Thanks everyone