• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Can someone help me settle an argument?

UIUCPPQ

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 10, 2012
A gentleman I was speaking to claimed that with the right shooter and rifle, 7.62 NATO was capable of ringing an 18" steel target consistently at 2000yards.

As I understand it, this is well past the distance at which that round will tumble and become unpredictable, I may be wrong though.

He says that they shoot that round to 2000 yards in Magpul's Art of the Precision Rifle videos.

Anyone have input about this? I can't get the videos and thus have no idea if they actually do this in them.

Re: Can someone help me settle an argument?

I seriously doubt it. I remember it was a big deal when people were hitting a 24x24 plate with a .308 at 1 mile.

They take the 308 to a mile and just hit the target onece per shooter and after a few tries a piece of I remember right. Been awhile since I watched them.

I would question what he says. Invite him to a place where you can shoot a 1 1/2 to 2 miles and test him. There are more people that can shoot long range and hit every time, than there are people that actually can. If you know what I mean...Bullshit

Not on the best day he or anyone else ever had. I've got a 2000 yard range and a stack of 100 dollar bills. Come on by with a stack of bills and I'll give you 100 each time you hit it, you give me one each time you miss. We'll stop when someone goes broke. Bring at least 3K, I need another S&B.

Ain't gonna happen, never mind 'consistently', regardless of the rifle or the shooter.

That's not to say that a .308 can't be effectively shot beyond its supersonic range, provided that the bullets transition well.

But that is to say that there's much wrong with that Magpul video, and the fact that it spreads disinformation is one of its drawbacks.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Graham</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

But that is to say that there's much wrong with that Magpul video, and the fact that it spreads disinformation is one of its drawbacks. </div></div>

Could you expand upon this? I was considering finding it to watch sometime

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: UIUCPPQ</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Graham</div><div class="ubbcode-body">But that is to say that there's much wrong with that Magpul video, and the fact that it spreads disinformation is one of its drawbacks. </div></div>Could you expand upon this? I was considering finding it to watch sometime </div></div>I don't have an hour of free time right now.
laugh.gif

Have a look at the Thread about it on this site. A few knowledgeable people posted on it.

Haha, sorry; I didn't realize this was a well gone over topic already!

I'll google it and see what turns up from the hide.

Listen, its like every other video, I can film myself shooting 2 miles and only show me missing once and hitting the next and in reality it took me all darn day...

If people waste their money on magpul videos and etc., but don't actually get out and practice they arent proving anything.

Take him to a range, test his theory, and who knows, you might be suprised or you might have been right the whole time.

Well the claim is not so much that he can do it, I'm certain he can't. It's that it is possible because he has "Seen people do it" (in person apparently).

It set off my bullshit meter and argument ensued, so I thought I'd ask around a little. That sort of thing.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Graham</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Have a look at the Thread about it on this site. A few knowledgeable people posted on it. </div></div>

My apologies for my own inept search attempts, but I was unable to turn up the thread that had anything critical to say about the videos; is there any keyword other than the obvious I should be searching, or do you happen to have a link to the thread?

Thanks for the heads up btw

when northernshooter goes to Cory's range with his stack of 100s... please send me a picture with that same stack of 100s in Cory's hands about 30 min later.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: UIUCPPQ</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My apologies for my own inept search attempts, but I was unable to turn up the thread that had anything critical to say about the videos; is there any keyword other than the obvious I should be searching, or do you happen to have a link to the thread?</div></div>

I spent some time trying to find that thread for you and I could not find it either. The consensus was that Caylen is a good guy and 97% of the video was marketing B.S.

Well if it was an 18" target then yes that would be the case if it was a 6'X6' target then i would be the man with all the money in my hands.

Cant say the same for you though since you think the .308 falls out of the sky and has as much engery as a pellet gun at what was it again 900 yards or something? RIDICULOUS!

People act like the 308 is the almighty cartridge. No doubt the bullet will get there but why? That is like saying I`m going to shoot my 22lr out to 1000yds. You could probably catch the 308 bullet with your anus when it got there.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: northern shooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Cant say the same for you though since you think the .308 falls out of the sky and has as much engery as a pellet gun at what was it again 900 yards or something? RIDICULOUS! </div></div>

Technically the bullet is falling out of the sky when it makes impact with the target :)...bottom line is why would you even want to throw a .308 that far? Wish folks would just stop defending a once upon a time decent round and realize it played its role in history and its time to move on...it ain't that great of a caliber period and it certainly is no 2000yd caliber.

However...I still like in a gas gun platform...but not for 2000yds...haha

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 25MAN</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Technically the bullet is falling out of the sky when it makes impact with the target :)</div></div>

At what distance? Certainly NOT at the 900 yds I read about before? That's just crazy talk. You don't even have to do much math to see it's sure as hell not falling out of the sky.

It's a joke...the bullet is coming down hence why we have to add elevation to get it out there...the bullet is not rising it is falling at that distance...wasn't speaking literally. You may want to re-do your math hahaha...becuase I don't know of any bullet still rising at 900 so if it ain't rising then it's got to be falling no?

But I guess thats just crazy talk :)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 25MAN</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Its a joke...the bullet is coming down hence why we have to add elevation to get it out there...the bullet is not rising it is falling at that distance...wasn't speaking literally. You may want to re-do your math hahaha becuase I don't know of any bullet still rising at 900...so if it ain't rising than it's got to be falling no?</div></div>

Well technically if i pointed the rifle straight up it would still be rising at 900. Unless of course it bounces off that invisible wall of yours. hahahahaha..haha.ha.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: northern shooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 25MAN</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Its a joke...the bullet is coming down hence why we have to add elevation to get it out there...the bullet is not rising it is falling at that distance...wasn't speaking literally. You may want to re-do your math hahaha becuase I don't know of any bullet still rising at 900...so if it ain't rising than it's got to be falling no?</div></div>

Well technically if i pointed the rifle straight up it would still be rising at 900. Unless of course it bounces off that invisible wall of yours. hahahahaha..haha.ha.
</div></div>

yeah slightly different but I guess nice comeback??

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CleanMoostang</div><div class="ubbcode-body">he wins, dont argue! </div></div>

Who wins him!!! haha I am kidding I am not arguing just was trying to make sense of a statement to me that was a bit out of whack....really didn't know what else to say haha.

I am off to play catch with my invisible wall now...

Rising in relation to what? To the line of the bore, it's falling from the moment it exits. Of course, the bullet will always hit SOMETHING, since we don't have anything that makes escape velocity. If you draw a big enough circle, you can hit it every time, right out to the maximum range. I've got firing tables for my Vickers that go out to 4500 yards. If I send a full belt, you would not want to be standing there, it's a pretty hard rain.

oh, super duper northernshooter, now it's a 6'x6' target... at least you're getting closer... to hold on to those 100s, you best try for 10x10 feet.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: northern shooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ive shot the .308 to 2132 yards a 6'X6' can be hit consistantly, a 18" i dont think so.

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=3338387#Post3338387</div></div>

In case you didnt read it before thats what i wrote before if you havent even shot a .308 beyond 2000 yards shut your mouth, End of story. And did i say i was gonna go challenge the guys offer no i didnt thats just you instigating things.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cali_tz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">oh, super duper northernshooter, now it's a 6'x6' target... at least you're getting closer... to hold on to those 100s, you best try for 10x10 feet.</div></div>

Or i got a better one how about you stand at 900 and see if those bullets bounce right off you or better yet how about 2000?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: UIUCPPQ</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My apologies for my own inept search attempts, but I was unable to turn up the thread that had anything critical to say about the videos; is there any keyword other than the obvious I should be searching, or do you happen to have a link to the thread?</div></div>http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=3090005
https://snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2983699
https://snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=3020176&page=2
https://snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=3006318
http://www.eurooptic.comwww.snipershide....1815&page=3

http://boardreader.com/thread/Todd_Hodnett_Magpul_video_Snipers_Hide_F_owghgX1on8x.html
http://www.snipercentral.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=40359

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Graham</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: UIUCPPQ</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My apologies for my own inept search attempts, but I was unable to turn up the thread that had anything critical to say about the videos; is there any keyword other than the obvious I should be searching, or do you happen to have a link to the thread?</div></div>http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=3090005
https://snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2983699
https://snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=3020176&page=2
https://snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=3006318
http://www.eurooptic.comwww.snipershide....1815&page=3

http://boardreader.com/thread/Todd_Hodnett_Magpul_video_Snipers_Hide_F_owghgX1on8x.html
http://www.snipercentral.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=40359 </div></div>

Unfortunately, none of those are the thread I was looking for. The thread I remember was here in the "Beyond 1000 Yard" section and was especially entertaining
laugh.gif

Thanks for all the input in this, esp Graham and Caveman. I've looked over a lot of threads from various forums and I'll probably get them sometime just as a resource, like someone said in one of those threads: "$60 for 5 disks...I've paid more for less".

Pretty much what I think it comes down to is there's some good stuff in there but they add a lot of fluff and not-so-subtle advertising, but that's okay if I learn a few things.

I know a guy just like that, and he thinks BSA scopes are the best ever made, hahaha.

It's a mile on the magpul dvds and its after a few rounds till they hit it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: UIUCPPQ</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks for all the input in this, esp Graham and Caveman. I've looked over a lot of threads from various forums and I'll probably get them sometime just as a resource, like someone said in one of those threads: "$60 for 5 disks...I've paid more for less".

Pretty much what I think it comes down to is there's some good stuff in there but they add a lot of fluff and not-so-subtle advertising, but that's okay if I learn a few things. </div></div>
Personally I think it's a great video. It's not gonna make you a super sniper by just watching it, but if you enjoy shooting then it's entertaining and you might learn a thing or two.

I dont think the instructor ever said anything about the 308 being the cartridge of choice at a mile. He was just proving a point that most people seem to think the bullet just drops straight down from the sky at 1000 yds, when in reality hits at as far as a mile are possible with good marksmanship.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cali_tz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">oh, super duper northernshooter, now it's a 6'x6' target... at least you're getting closer... to hold on to those 100s, you best try for 10x10 feet. </div></div>

You made an absolute fool of yourself here and now you are trying question northernshooter's credibility? Stop digging.

Northernshooter DO THE BET! get yourself a nice new S&b!
wink.gif

On that Magpul video they shoot to a mile and they take A TON of shots before they get hits. With magical editing I'm sure we didn't even get to see half the shots taken.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ryanjay11</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cali_tz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">oh, super duper northernshooter, now it's a 6'x6' target... at least you're getting closer... to hold on to those 100s, you best try for 10x10 feet. </div></div>

You made an absolute fool of yourself here and now you are trying question northernshooter's credibility? Stop digging. </div></div>

You mean credibility which is based wholly on posting claims on the Internet?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cali_tz</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ryanjay11</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cali_tz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">oh, super duper northernshooter, now it's a 6'x6' target... at least you're getting closer... to hold on to those 100s, you best try for 10x10 feet. </div></div>

You made an absolute fool of yourself here and now you are trying question northernshooter's credibility? Stop digging. </div></div>

You mean credibility which is based wholly on posting claims on the Internet? </div></div>

Yep, he posted photos of results from shooting a 308 well past the distances where you declare that they fall out of the sky. If anyone wants to question someone's credibility, they only need to look at the the thread where you showed your extremely limited knowledge of ballistics. You are chasing him around in different threads because he made you look like a fool. He never claimed that he could shoot a 18"x18" plate at a mile, but you are trying to put words in his mouth so you can argue a different point. This is all to distract everyone from seeing that you are a fool.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CoryT</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Not on the best day he or anyone else ever had. I've got a 2000 yard range and a stack of 100 dollar bills. Come on by with a stack of bills and I'll give you 100 each time you hit it, you give me one each time you miss. We'll stop when someone goes broke. Bring at least 3K, I need another S&B. </div></div>

Holy S Batman! Concur. Ballistic AE, with a 150gr Nosler Accubond, yields <span style="text-decoration: underline">only</span> 141 MOA Elev and 14+ MOA Wind (5MPH). That's easy day. Ha! CrazyTalk.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ryanjay11</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cali_tz</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ryanjay11</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cali_tz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">oh, super duper northernshooter, now it's a 6'x6' target... at least you're getting closer... to hold on to those 100s, you best try for 10x10 feet. </div></div>

You mean credibility which is based wholly on posting claims on the Internet? </div></div>

Yep, he posted photos of results from shooting a 308 well past the distances where you declare that they fall out of the sky. If anyone wants to question someone's credibility, they only need to look at the the thread where you showed your extremely limited knowledge of ballistics. You are chasing him around in different threads because he made you look like a fool. He never claimed that he could shoot a 18"x18" plate at a mile, but you are trying to put words in his mouth so you can argue a different point. This is all to distract everyone from seeing that you are a fool. </div></div>

Well played sir, well played. You must be an attorney right?

I just signed up as i was looking for some-ones to validate my child-like,spontaneous, completely uninformed purchase of an LMT 308 MWS but was distracted by an apparent brilliant response by a Mr. Ryanjay11 to a someone that seems to be out of his rhetorical league! Now, as the Great one would say, thank me! Looks like I can learn much. That's why I'm really here
smile.gif