• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Gunsmithing Can the Ruger GSR be made lighter?

exohead

Private
Minuteman
May 15, 2013
Lewistown, PA
The title speaks for itself. Id like to try the following for the Ruger GSR to make it lighter: flute the bolt, flute part or all of the barrel, remove the spacers to the shortest length, and make finger groves in the forestock. Is there anything else that can be done to lighten the rifle, and will the changes Ive described lighten it enough to be worth the trouble?

I've got one - you could remove some weight, change the stock would be the most bang for the buck to start with. Already a 16" barrel, already needs a brake.

I have another custom rifle - in 308 also. It weighs 5 1/2 pounds with no scope, and has a brake. It is a wonder to carry and a beast to shoot! I am thinking of swapping it back to the 243 it was, before I "fixed" it. The recoil is stiff, worse than a 300WM twin it has, I usually grab the 300 instead, more capability on the other end, and no additional recoil.

Unless you are packing it up a hill all week, I'm thinking you may choose the do what I did with my Scout - NOTHING! It is good for what it is, and accept it at that. Every time I get in the Mule at the ranch with it, I am thinking, new barrel, new stock, new trigger??? And then I come to my senses, this is my truck gun, I can hit anything standing still inside 300 yards without dialing it, quit screwing with it, Mike! Sometimes, it takes not having something, to realize what you had.......

Truthfully, it is possible that I may end up lugging this rifle around for extended time periods at some point, as Im planning to use this rifle in a civilian paramilitary role, among other things. So Im trying to lighten it.