• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors can virgin- which should I get for under $750?

Tact.medic

Private
Minuteman
Feb 29, 2012
Orlando, Florida!
So just a 5.56 short barrel and my buddy put in the GI type compensator which has the threads for a can. What should I look into as a quality can for the above price? I believe that the compenator I have is surefire...

Re: can virgin- which should I get for under $750?

For the money I think the YHM is very good and well thought of.
I have one but have not shot it next to my two AWC .556 cans yet.
Good luck PG

I think if you're trying to go with one that fits your compensator, it will have to be Surefire. NOT SURE.

I only have 1 suppressor, a YHM QD 7.62 Titanium. I use it on all my AR-type rifles-both 556 and 308. YHM is pretty much in the cheapest range of good suppressors and I love mine. You WILL have to go with YHM's adapter/brake/flash hider. The suppressor will come with 1 adapter of your choice, and extra adapters can be had for $60-$70 apiece if you browse the internet.

The stainless version is cheaper than titanium, but twice the weight. You'll find in reading different forums the universal description of the YHM will be "built like a tank," and they do a jam-up good job of suppression in my opinion. Others may be a decibel or two better, but worth all the extra money? Not to me, but I'm no professional.

Spend an additional $45 and get a S.A.S. Arbiter in 7.62. That way you don't have to buy a second one later on. Get your first adapter threaded 1/2x28 and then get a "spare" mount in 5/8x24 to run on everything 300WM and down.

Mile High Shooting is a stocking dealer and site sponsor.

i agree with getting a 7.62 can if you plan on having only one can for awhile.. granted it probably wont be as quite as a dedicated 223 can but it will save alot of money and the 6 month or so wait if decided later down the road that you wanted another can.

So you have a short barrel rifle that you want to suppress?
If that is correct, you do NOT want the SAS Arbiter or anything for that matter that is Titanium. They do not do well with rapid fire and excessive amounts of heat. Which is why they excel on bolt gun platforms.

YHM is a great choice for the money.
Gemtech, SWR, and SilencerCO should all have something in your price range.
$750.00 wouldn't even get you close to a Surefire, unfortunately.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYS338</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So you have a short barrel rifle that you want to suppress?
If that is correct, you do NOT want the SAS Arbiter or anything for that matter that is <span style="color: #FF0000">Titanium.</span> They <span style="color: #FF0000">do not do well with rapid fire and excessive amounts of heat.</span> Which is why they excel on bolt gun platforms.

YHM is a great choice for the money.
Gemtech, SWR, and SilencerCO should all have something in your price range.
$750.00 wouldn't even get you close to a Surefire, unfortunately. </div></div>

If you don't do multiple consecutive mag dumps it will be fine. My YHM titanium is rated for full auto by YHM. NORMAL semi-auto fire has not harmed mine, and I HAVE done a couple mag dumps with it-just not consecutive. Otherwise we fully agree.
smile.gif

Has anyone shot a 7.62 on 5.56 and what is the sound level diff compared to just a 5.56 suppressor?

I have used both YHM cans on a 223 & the 30 cal may have been a little quieter.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYS338</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So you have a short barrel rifle that you want to suppress?
If that is correct, you do NOT want the SAS Arbiter or anything for that matter that is Titanium. They do not do well with rapid fire and excessive amounts of heat. Which is why they excel on bolt gun platforms. </div></div>

The Arbiter is available in both stainless and titanium. I vote Arbiter as well, it's a lot of can for the money. MSRP for the stainless is $595 and the TI is $795.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Steyrman13</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Has anyone shot a 7.62 on 5.56 and what is the sound level diff compared to just a 5.56 suppressor? </div></div>

There isn't much difference at all.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Red_SC</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYS338</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So you have a short barrel rifle that you want to suppress?
If that is correct, you do NOT want the SAS Arbiter or anything for that matter that is Titanium. They do not do well with rapid fire and excessive amounts of heat. Which is why they excel on bolt gun platforms. </div></div>

The Arbiter is available in both stainless and titanium. I vote Arbiter as well, it's a lot of can for the money. MSRP for the stainless is $595 and the TI is $795. </div></div>

+1. Good advice. I have shot identical 20" AR's side by side. One with SAS 30 cal stainless, the other with SAS 223 stainless. 30 cal was quieter, plus it can be used in any cal smaller than 300 Win mag, except rimfire. That is a lot of possible hosts for your money.

Seeing as how you are an admitted can virgin, let me share my full thoughts. I have a 223 can, a 338 can, and a 22 rimfire can. I also have a Liberty Mystic 9mm can I am waiting on. My favorite and most used by far is the 22 can. Next is the 338 can. Dead last is the 223 can.

The reason? I HATE suppressed AR's. Causes all kinds of problems in cycling, and fouls the things super quick. All of my AR's, however are set up for precision shooting, and it fouls so quick that it makes them inaccurate.

Just my .02

Ty