• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Suppressors Can w/ tracers

Tempest 455

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 4, 2012
Middle TN
Anyone have any idea if using tracers w/ my .22 can that has aluminum baffles is OK? I'm not talking about hundreds. Just 4-5, putting one every 4th round or so.

depend when the tracers will ignite_ if that's would happen before their exit from the supp.'end, that's could be really bad news for the alu, because that would start some corrosive process_ (in my opinion: don't do it)

I would advise you not to use them based on the materials used in the suppressor. That phosphate can really mess a suppressor up in the long run.

With .22 tracers I'd be hesitant to shoot them through a can. I've seen a lot of the tracer pellets detach from the bullet and go flying off on their own. Not something you want bouncing around in the can. With normal centerfire tracers the pellet is part of the bullet and inside the jacket. I shoot them through suppressors with no issues. With the .22LR however the tracer is a piece of material bonded to the base of the bullet and if the glue breaks the pellet can go off on its own....baffle strikes are likely.
As for corrosion issues there are none. Tracers are made from Magnesium and an oxidizer. Type of oxidizer depends on the color. For red its strontium nitrate, green is copper or barium nitrate, yellow would be sodium nitrate. The result of the burning of these materials is magnesium oxide which is used in milk of magnesia or other types of acid reducing stomach calmers. It is not a strong base like sodium hydroxide and if anything will reduce corrosion rather than promoting it. There are no chlorates or perchlorates used in tracers that I know of...at least since the end of WWI where it was discovered that those chemicals weren't as stable as they needed. They caused some ammo explosions and some duds too. I've run thousands of 9mm tracers through aluminum suppressors and never had any issues with corrosion. I've fired untold thousands of rifle cal tracers through steel suppressors and not seen any issues with corrosion or extra wear on the barrel or suppressor. I run them on machineguns and have the same results. Tracers don't create extra heat in the barrel, don't cause corrosion and don't create more wear. As an aside here, all tracers light in the barrel or they don't light at all. The hot powder gas is what ignites them and once out of the barrel where is the ignition source? The reasons you don't see the trace are the lack of colorant used in the ignition section of the tracer for one. They normally use a different oxidizer and finer grade of magnesium for ignition as it will light easier and it is not as bright as the trace section. Another reason is the speed things happen at vs your perception. You don't see the trace til its further out because the bullet has moved further than you realize. With the larger cals the recoil can have an effect on this as well.

Hope that helps

Frank

No worries...shoot them through your can. I'm the owner of Red Rimfire, a distributor for Piney Mountain 22 tracer. I've shot countless rounds through suppressors with no issues. The mfr doesn't use any chlorates in the composition, so no corrosion concerns there either. As the rounds are mfd from standard velocity CCI 22lr they usually stay subsonic.
Steve
Redrimfire.com