• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

PRS Talk Can we talk about the AG Cup?

That's the kinda insight I'm looking forward to. Hopefully the show will be done right and we will see some of the strategy these guys are trying to use to win the $$$

They did a few stages where they put the competitors on camera immediately after the stage to ask how it went, what their gameplan was, etc. On the barrels stage, I warned Brian Allen that he was about to engage a target from strong side when he was required to shoot weak side (Support side, if Dan is reading this...), and they actually asked him about it in the interview.

They did a few stages where they put the competitors on camera immediately after the stage to ask how it went, what their gameplan was, etc. On the barrels stage, I warned Brian Allen that he was about to engage a target from strong side when he was required to shoot weak side (Support side, if Dan is reading this...), and they actually asked him about it in the interview.

This question is a little sidetracked but what is your opinion about warning a shooter that they are potentially about to shoot the course of fire incorrectly?

My personal thoughts are that the RO should not be instructing the shooter if they are about to shoot the course of fire incorrectly. If the shooter ask then I think it's okay for the RO to answer but I think it's the shooters responsibility to know the course of fire. Target order, position, strong side or support side.

Otherwise, you're relying on the RO to catch every single shooter before they make a mistake.

As an example of this, my dumbass shot a stage at Big Medicine where you were shooting 4 targets from a 3 rail fence. I forgot to move between positions 2 and 3. The RO realized it after I finished shooting and I lost two of the hits that I made. I'm okay with me losing the hits because I made the mistake but my mistake alerted the RO to remind the shooters after me to move positions.

What's your thoughts?

Reactions: tomcfc11
This question is a little sidetracked but what is your opinion about warning a shooter that they are potentially about to shoot the course of fire incorrectly?

My personal thoughts are that the RO should not be instructing the shooter if they are about to shoot the course of fire incorrectly. If the shooter ask then I think it's okay for the RO to answer but I think it's the shooters responsibility to know the course of fire. Target order, position, strong side or support side.

Otherwise, you're relying on the RO to catch every single shooter before they make a mistake.

As an example of this, my dumbass shot a stage at Big Medicine where you were shooting 4 targets from a 3 rail fence. I forgot to move between positions 2 and 3. The RO realized it after I finished shooting and I lost two of the hits that I made. I'm okay with me losing the hits because I made the mistake but my mistake alerted the RO to remind the shooters after me to move positions.

What's your thoughts?

I can see both sides. The only reason Brian got the warning was force of habit - at a typical PRS match, if I see it I will try to warn the shooter, and when I saw Brian back on strong side, habits kicked in. He was the first to do it, so I kept it fair and the only other shooter after him I saw doing it got the same warning.

That said, it's also possible that saying nothing can cause even more issues - shooters getting completely out of order on targets compared to where the RO thinks they should be - that also happened at the Cup, and it turned into a discussion with Tom on how to proceed.

At the end of the day, I'm good with all of the ways of doing it - let the shooter screw up, let them screw up once then tell them where they need to be, or try to warn them before they screw up - so long as the RO is consistent across all shooters with what they are doing.

Good insights @Hollywood 6mm. I have personally tended toward letting the shooter make the mistake and lose that point from the first shot done incorrectly, followed by a command putting them back on track as to what they should be doing or which target they should be engaging next.

That tends to be my thought, as well, but sometimes it's hard to suppress that "Hey, you're about to screw up!" echoing in your head.

Good insights @Hollywood 6mm. I have personally tended toward letting the shooter make the mistake and lose that point from the first shot done incorrectly, followed by a command putting them back on track as to what they should be doing or which target they should be engaging next.

I agree with this as well for a 2 day match. The ability to correctly remember and execute the course of fire while on the clock is as important to me as having good dope and calling the wind. At the same time we want everyone to walk away from the weekend having a great time and I don't want them pissed that they didn't get any help, especially when they're new.

Letting them make the first mistake followed by a correction is probably the best compromise.

You guys are the kings of the sliding scale,

this is supposed to be the best, invite-only, top competitors, and you're correcting errors during a competition with thousands of dollars on the line... genius.

I get being "used' to fixing mistakes while ROing, but this is not the time or the place. Justifying it makes it much worse if you ask me. it just goes to show, even the top guys get their hands held which is common because everyone wants to be considered a good guy. What else can you do to help them shoot, why not let them use the prize money to buy a point? They can pay the RO.

Walk up, have it all pointed out to you, drop your overweight rifle on a super heavy bag and tap the trigger, ya we are shooting.

this is supposed to be the best, invite-only, top competitors, and you're correcting errors during a competition with thousands of dollars on the line... genius.

So let me ask you this - if an RO fucks up (and I will admit, I had a couple of those when it came to telling a shooter they were wrong at the cup) should they just pretend it didn't happen and let all future shooters screw up, or should they try to keep it fair and warn the next guy that does it?

This is assuming that there were no previous shooters that didn't get a warning when the other guy did (that DIDN'T happen, at least on my stages).

if ROs are fucking up in a competition of this degree, or at least one promoted to be of this degree, it wasn't laid out correctly. It was shot in the same bs manner as any other match today. Were NDs close to target okay too so not to hurt any feelings with a DQ?

It should have been said, say nothing, it's either hit or nothing, the gravity of the money on the line dictates a higher degree of fairness.

Think about it, how tight of a points race it could be, one free point on a stage could mean the difference between a win and loss.

I can easily open the door to what is fair and who is being helped, or in this case corrected. It's supposed to be the pinnacle and we have ROs correcting, (read: helping) competitors that have no business being helped. why not call out the order of targets for them.

You have 20 competitors to manage, your job is not to assist, it's to score and watch safety. And people wonder why shit gets talked about in a negative way all the time. It's one thing to say, I had 200 competitors and I fell into a routine, but 20. weak sauce.

it's lame, doing it more than once is even lamer.

if ROs are fucking up in a competition of this degree, or at least one promoted to be of this degree, it wasn't laid out correctly. It was shot in the same bs manner as any other match today. Were NDs close to target okay too so not to hurt any feelings with a DQ?

It should have been said, say nothing, it's either hit or nothing, the gravity of the money on the line dictates a higher degree of fairness.

Think about it, how tight of a points race it could be, one free point on a stage could mean the difference between a win and loss.

I can easily open the door to what is fair and who is being helped, or in this case corrected. It's supposed to be the pinnacle and we have ROs correcting, (read: helping) competitors that have no business being helped. why not call out the order of targets for them.

You have 20 competitors to manage, your job is not to assist, it's to score and watch safety. And people wonder why shit gets talked about in a negative way all the time. It's one thing to say, I had 200 competitors and I fell into a routine, but 20. weak sauce.

it's lame, doing it more than once is even lamer.

There were no NDs that I am aware of, and I certainly didn't see one. If I had, it would have been called and the MD notified.

Most stages were run where the competitors got no help, and they didn't really need it, either.

When I screwed up, I notified the MD of what happened, and did my best to ensure the stage was handled fairly for all shooters. At the end of the day, we had no complaints from the shooters about it, and the guys that did benefit from the rare RO foul-up ended up getting absolutely nothing for it that I know of - it made no difference in stage wins or the match winner.

Nobody's perfect, Frank. You've run enough matches to know no RO is going to be perfect, especially with the massive amount of attention and pressure that was on us for the Cup.

Edit to retierate: the guys that did benefit from the rare RO foul-up ended up getting absolutely nothing for it that I know of - it made no difference in stage wins or the match winner.

I have no clue how to run a match or shoot a PRS Event

It was handled I would not be publicly over-explaining it you just open yourself up.

goes to show, that at all levels this is fucked up and there is no consistency, the fact "nobody complained" is comical, how many, Nobody complained at the time, but 3 days later the complaints pour in have you seen... dodging a bullet that should not have been fired is not a win.

I get being "used' to fixing mistakes while ROing, but this is not the time or the place. Justifying it makes it much worse if you ask me. it just goes to show, even the top guys get their hands held which is common because everyone wants to be considered a good guy. What else can you do to help them shoot, why not let them use the prize money to buy a point? They can pay the RO.

Walk up, have it all pointed out to you, drop your overweight rifle on a super heavy bag and tap the trigger, ya we are shooting.

I'm curious who you're addressing with your "You guys" comment?

The AG cup was not the end all be all rifle match. It was 20 good shooters they got to make a TV show. Not the top 20 in the world. They got who they could get and who they thought would make good TV. There was no bar to be set, shooters were not there based on merit or their placing in any of the leagues, it was a competition for a TV show. $20,000 isn't going to make or break anyone in this game.

I don't think shooters should have been corrected on the clock at that match but it happened on accident and for fairness the rest of the shooters were ran the same way. Seems like a good call to me.

Pretty sure soccer is the biggest sport in the world. It's a shit load bigger than precision rifle. You can look all across the world's leagues at all the controversy every weekend. The top league in England (Premier League) has been around in it's current form since the early 90's and one format or another for well over 100 years and they're still figuring out how to ref it fairly and correctly, namely VAR as of late (Video Review).

Not sure why you'd expect perfection out of a little rifle match with a measly $20,000 on the line.

LOL

whatever compare it to soccer, nascar, football, anything you like, nobody said it had to be perfect, I said stop overexplaining it and opening yourself up to attack.

if the hype does not match the reality, own it.

It fell flat on 99% of the shooters out there who MIGHT want to pay attention, and yet guys with a personal interest in it want to make it out to be something it's not or wasn't, It's exactly what it looks like, just another match which was run no different than any other match with the same names playing the same games. ?

Like I said, NothingBurger,

The only reason for the comparison was to demonstrate the difficulty in running and refereeing a fair competition, whatever that competition may be.

I'm not sure if you feel let down that the reality didn't match the hype or just pissed that they tried to pump it up to something you knew it wouldn't be.

I like rifle matches and want people to keep putting them on cause they're fun.

You have a far reaching voice in the industry, what's the point in attacking a little 20 man match put on for TV? How does that help all of us have fun matches to go shoot on the weekend?

How am I attacking the match,

I am responding to pages of comments that would probably not exist due to the lack of interest if not for a few shooters who was there and want to talk about.

I did not volunteer an attack, nor did I discuss this before, I simply saw it continue to be in my timeline and I respond to the conversation at hand. You putting words in my mouth notwithstanding, I am simply calling BALLS and STRIKES as I see it.

According to most PRS shooters, I am irrelevant so who cares what I have to say about it. this is my site so I am commenting, you came here to me I did not invite you. My door is open to anyone. On top of that, my opinion is more of the mainstream vs the counter argument

I find it completely comical my opinion has any bearing on your ability to shoot a match. I don't give a shit what you do, but if you want ot talk about it here, expect a comment, it's my house.

Don't you PRS types who want to hype their shit have their own private groups where you can stroke each other off without the masses watching, if you want an Echo Chamber, I suggest you all run back to Facebook for cover.

Painting me as the bad guy is getting old, start looking in the mirror.

Don't get all sensitive on me and tell me to go to facebook just because I think you have a sour attitude when it comes to matches.

Yes, when I shoot well at a match it feeds my sensitive ego and makes me feel good about myself. No bullshit.

Who are these PRS shooters who say you're irrelevant? I don't. I just got into precision rifle in 2018. I learned a least half of what I know through Snipers Hide. Namely guys like @Hollywood 6mm , @Sheldon N and you through your podcast.

I don't paint you as a bad guy and I think you should stop assuming that all of us who shoot matches do. Fuck facebook. Snipers Hide is THE place on the internet to discuss precision rifle. Nearly everyone I know who shoots matches post here, lurks here or buys from the classifieds hahaha

All I'm saying is I don't like the divisiveness in our already small community especially when it's from someone with one of the biggest voices. Besides it seems like every time you shoot a match you come away with glowing reviews. My first 2 day match was Velayo's PRS match last July and as I recall you had a pretty damn good time, so did I.

Any effort to grow the precision rifle shooting community is a win in my book. Thanks to all those that made it happen. I'm looking forward to the broadcast, and the next AG Cup.

Reactions: Hollywood 6mm
Spare me,

So according to you, I need to keep my opinion to myself if runs counter to what you want to hear? Gotcha,

I need to shut up for the good of series, noted.

Last time I checked, I never mentioned this event prior to my single post here, not one word on my podcast, and since you are a Johnny Cums Lately to this type of shooting, you should be aware if I wanted to stir the pot or cause any divisiveness I can do so in seconds. Better than most, my reach becomes super apparent when I want it too. This is minor and was completely based on what I read here, nowhere else.

I enjoy shooting matches, I have been doing it roughly 18 years longer than you. So I have a bit of history doing it, however today I pick and choose which matches to shoot based on my experience and what type of competitor I want to be around. There is a reason I don't make time for more of them, if its not obvious to you, try taking the blinders off. I don't shoot certain matches for a reason, most of those reasons revolve around the competitors, not the competition.

If you want to pretend there is no hate thrown my way, well, again take the blinders off and note, I have no time to separate the good from the bad, in my mind, you standing there laughing along is every bit as bad as trying to say what a great resource this place is to me because one of my points hits home. I find it hypocritical to bad mouth me on the line and then use the site as if I had nothing to do with it. I know who uses this place and how my name is dragged around, I have the text messages to prove it. While you are standing there laughing, trust me, someone is texting me in real time about it. I have a long memory and certain folks know it, so they play cute and try to hide the BS.

I spoke to Tom about this years ago, I could have easily stepped up with him and said then, "Let's do it", I declined and didn't think it was worth the effort. My choice, Tom ran with it and based on the results posted here, I have an opinion. It's not an opinion of Tom or Brandon or anyone else who was there, it's an opinion based on the aftermath and observed feedback. You can tell what I want to look at, a prime example is me RO'ing the LV ELR Event prior to SHOT. It's something I have an interest in, so I make time for. You all act like I could not have called Tom up immediately and asked to help.

I think you all should stick to your super-secret facebook groups and stay off the site, as you clearly have an issue with my opinion so why not go hang out in your echo chamber? I made the choice to stay in my lane, some of you should do the same. If you have not noticed I go out of my way NOT TO comment, you clearly have no clue.

This grew nothing but a few guys pocketbooks.

Reactions: LawnMM
I have no issue with your opinion other than the way you choose to share it. You bitch about all the things you don't like but offer no solutions.

You have no time to separate the good from the bad?

Does that mean if I shoot a PRS match I'm automatically thrown in with the bad? What if I shoot NRL, are you cool with them? How about my local club match?

Take the chip off your shoulder. Who gives a shit if someone talked shit about you back in the day. Based off what I see from the success of your website and podcast I think you've got the last laugh. Fuck em

I think you could have a big impact in correcting the negatives you see in precision rifle competitions. Shit start your own series and lead by example, I'll shoot all your matches.

As far as the "super secret facebook groups", I don't have nor have I ever had facebook. Maybe you should stop talking shit about it if you're gonna keep using it.

I don't offer Solutions

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

What makes me laugh even harder is the constant:

I agree with what you are saying I just don't like how you say it Bullshit

Pretty sure I earned my Chip, so I will be keeping it

Guys need to cut the shit of “you’re just being negative” and other standard responses when it’s not all rainbows and unicorns.

Another typical bullshit response is “then give a solution.”

Thats cult mentality. Having a solution isn’t a prerequisite for identifying a problem. If it’s a legitimate concern, it should be voiced. If someone also has a solution, that’s a bonus.

(this isn’t a statement directed at the AG cup or anything specific. Just the constant responses from people or organizations that let their feelings get hurt when a comment isn’t patting them on the back)

Reactions: kthomas
I'm still confused on what the actual problem is. There's a difference between being critical and just being negative.

Talk shit with your nothing burger statement, no one's feeling's are hurt by it but what's your goal with comments like that? I understand bitching just to bitch but that often doesn't end up with you getting your way.

I have zero vested interest in the AG Cup but I applaud those trying something new and maybe the AG cup plays a role in refining the way our competitions are ran.

@Dthomas3523 What's not all rainbows and unicorns? It's a growing sport. Both of the 2 major leagues are actively making big changes on a yearly basis and trying to address everyones concerns. It's a process and doesn't happen overnight.

My beef with the whole thing was that it was invite only. You wanna grow the sport, let everyone play. Problem is some of the peacocks will get shredded and they can’t have that.

My beef with the whole thing was that it was invite only. You wanna grow the sport, let everyone play. Problem is some of the peacocks will get shredded and they can’t have that.

I kind of agree with "let everyone play" but with the way this match was ran it sounds like it would've been impossible to run 200 shooters through it in any efficient way. I'm curious what the last sentence means? When you say "they" who are you referring to? I haven't shot in many 2 day (under 10 2 day'rs, a lot of club and 1 day'rs) )matches but in all the squads I've been apart of nobody sits around and talks about the "peacocks". Maybe I'm shooting the wrong ones? Most I attend are around OK and Tx with several outstanding shooters that are some of the friendliest guys you'll meet. Don't get me wrong there are some douche's but the ratio is heavy in favor of the helpful folks.

I kind of agree with "let everyone play" but with the way this match was ran it sounds like it would've been impossible to run 200 shooters through it in any efficient way. I'm curious what the last sentence means? When you say "they" who are you referring to? I haven't shot in many 2 day (under 10 2 day'rs, a lot of club and 1 day'rs) )matches but in all the squads I've been apart of nobody sits around and talks about the "peacocks". Maybe I'm shooting the wrong ones? Most I attend are around OK and Tx with several outstanding shooters that are some of the friendliest guys you'll meet. Don't get me wrong there are some douche's but the ratio is heavy in favor of the helpful folks.
The sponsors. The sponsees. The chosen ones aren’t allowed to lose

giphy.gif

• Haha
Reactions: davere

Agreed 100%. This is supposed to be an invite only cream of the crop field.

What happened to @ballison comments? His profile says banned now. Please don’t tell me ppl are now being banned for voicing an opinion on the matter. And being he just won a match last weekend, maybe he actually has some useful insight that others wouldn’t.

Reactions: jsimonh
@Stag556

he basically came on to attack me and call me a keyboard commando, saying some do, others buy better keyboards,

I am just gonna purge the competition guys that only want to come here and take potshots at me.

Don't want or need the negative energy from any of them... so rather than debate or respond, I am just removing.

He contributed nothing but a slight against me

Reactions: c.blackwell1
There's other threads going on right now about losing gun rights/elections, etc, and here you all are bitching and fighting about the best way to play a game.

Reactions: jsimonh
There's other threads going on right now about losing gun rights/elections, etc, and here you all are bitching and fighting about the best way to play a game.

There’s starving kids in Africa and you’re throwing away food.

gtfo with that tired bullshit. People can have opinions on several things. Not all of them must be about the most important thing at all times.

I have no issue with your opinion other than the way you choose to share it. You bitch about all the things you don't like but offer no solutions.

You have no time to separate the good from the bad?

Sigh. This is part of the problem. Anybody who's shot a few matches this year thinks they know what all the issues are and how to solve them.

Frank's been putting on these matches for our amusement since before this sport was even on your radar.

He was around before PRS started and he'll be around after it's long gone.

You're looking at a single conversation in going on 8ish years of this series and the nonsense that's come up.

He's offered solutions to problems you've never heard about but "they" never fix them.

Why do you think the NRL exists? He's not alone. A whole group broke off and started anew to attempt to execute a better series.

It's not without it's faults, but I do think they've learned from some of the PRS' errors.

Either way, you're like a kid wandering into the middle of an adult conversation and throwing your opinion around like you know something about what's going on. You don't.

Been to several of his matches and they're among the best I've attended. Bumped into him in person a number of times and he's a personable guy, friendly.

You're off base. The end.

As for this little exercise in big money hyping a match, we'll see what the finished product looks like. The fact that there's any number of accomplished guys who weren't invited just highlights the bias people are talking about.

Is it really the biggest match ever with all the best shooters in the country if all the best shooters weren't there?

I think the best thing it's "done" for the sport is the $1000 fee. Charge anybody who wants to compete as a 'Pro' $1000 fee for every match they enter. Split up the $1000 fees multiplied by number of 'Pros' and that's the money pool for the top 3 or top 5 or top 10, whatever.

Prize table would be reserved for the non 'Pros' where the sponsors wouldn't see all their shit up for sale the following Monday and might in term earn some brand loyalty because the guy that got the bag will actually use it.

I promise you this, slap a $1000 fee on entering as a 'Pro' and you'll see a lot less people talking about how accomplished they are as shooters. Now you're out a G if you enter and flop.

It also eliminates the prize table bullshit. If you make the classes based on performance and compulsory rather than optional you eliminate sand bagging.

These problems aren't new and there's been plenty of suggestions over the years, not many have been utilized.

All he's asking is the same question I have, apart from the fee and payout for the what, top 5? How's this different than any other PRS match?

Supposedly the video and how it was executed will generate interest and grow the sport. We'll see. I've been around long enough to have heard that before. Not much has changed. I hope this is the catalyst for change we're all waiting for.

Sigh. This is part of the problem. Anybody who's shot a few matches this year thinks they know what all the issues are and how to solve them.

Frank's been putting on these matches for our amusement since before this sport was even on your radar.

He was around before PRS started and he'll be around after it's long gone.

You're looking at a single conversation in going on 8ish years of this series and the nonsense that's come up.

He's offered solutions to problems you've never heard about but "they" never fix them.

Why do you think the NRL exists? He's not alone. A whole group broke off and started anew to attempt to execute a better series.

It's not without it's faults, but I do think they've learned from some of the PRS' errors.

Either way, you're like a kid wandering into the middle of an adult conversation and throwing your opinion around like you know something about what's going on. You don't.

Been to several of his matches and they're among the best I've attended. Bumped into him in person a number of times and he's a personable guy, friendly.

You're off base. The end.

As for this little exercise in big money hyping a match, we'll see what the finished product looks like. The fact that there's any number of accomplished guys who weren't invited just highlights the bias people are talking about.

Is it really the biggest match ever with all the best shooters in the country if all the best shooters weren't there?

I think the best thing it's "done" for the sport is the $1000 fee. Charge anybody who wants to compete as a 'Pro' $1000 fee for every match they enter. Split up the $1000 fees multiplied by number of 'Pros' and that's the money pool for the top 3 or top 5 or top 10, whatever.

Prize table would be reserved for the non 'Pros' where the sponsors wouldn't see all their shit up for sale the following Monday and might in term earn some brand loyalty because the guy that got the bag will actually use it.

I promise you this, slap a $1000 fee on entering as a 'Pro' and you'll see a lot less people talking about how accomplished they are as shooters. Now you're out a G if you enter and flop.

It also eliminates the prize table bullshit. If you make the classes based on performance and compulsory rather than optional you eliminate sand bagging.

These problems aren't new and there's been plenty of suggestions over the years, not many have been utilized.

All he's asking is the same question I have, apart from the fee and payout for the what, top 5? How's this different than any other PRS match?

Supposedly the video and how it was executed will generate interest and grow the sport. We'll see. I've been around long enough to have heard that before. Not much has changed. I hope this is the catalyst for change we're all waiting for.

Can you name names of the best shooters that weren't invited? There were a number of shooters who were invited originally and they chose for whatever reason not to accept the invite.

Greg

Can you name names of the best shooters that weren't invited? There were a number of shooters who were invited originally and they chose for whatever reason not to accept the invite.

Greg

Some chose not to attend because they weren't invited from the get go. I'm not outing anybody for anyone's amusement.

Here's a simpler question, of the roughly 1000 NRL members and what 6000+ PRS members today, do you really think that 20 people represents 'The best of the best'?

**Edited to add, here's an objective look with no inside scoop

Here's who was invited...

Screenshot_20191107-213129_Chrome.jpg

Top 15 of NRL

20191107_214346.jpg

Top 15 of PRS

20191107_214525.jpg

20191107_215531.jpg

See anybody who's in the lead over 1-6k people who weren't there?

Last edited:
Reactions: Eric32