• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report Can you make this cold bore shot? --Poll

Can you make this cold bore shot? --Poll

• Total voters
I'm with kemp 4-500 for me. And that may be pushing it. There's times I feel like I couldn't hit water if I fell out of a boat.

I feel pretty confident I could do that at 600. My wind doping skills won't let me make 1st round hits on targets under 1 MOA much past that. Once I had a good solution, I could tear the sucker up at 800-900.

Where were all of these hot shots this past weekend in New Mexico for the Score High Tactical Rifle Challenge? Cold Bore shot at 550 on a 7-8" plate (I believe), and there were misses aplenty.

Or any other competitions throughout the country. 6" diamond at 400 yards in 10+ MPH wind is not an easy shot even not being cold bore. I watched probably %75 of the people at the SHC last month miss that and closer in 10-20 MPH winds. Also throw in a timed shot and a shooting position that you have never shot from before and it changes the game significantly. Shooting from a bench or your favorite shooting spot in the same orientation day after day and feeling confident you can hit the same targets you've shot at 100's of times at the same range is a lot different than ranging an unknown distance target, finding an appropriate position to shoot from and actually hitting the target at 400+ yards while under the stress of the clock is a whole different ball of wax if you ask me.

I did a cold bore challenge a while back and got it all on video, after all said and done, in those conditions if I have time and no pressure I would say I can make the shoot you speak of out to about 5-600 yards 90% of the time.

Here is one of the best days of my challenge, check out the other days if you wish on my youtube channel

Cold Bore Challenge Day#19 - YouTube

Doing a challenge like this really puts the whole thing into perspective, everyone has that one day when they made that really awesome cold bore shot. And SOME of them get on the intent and that is there standard when threads like this come up. lol.

Not sure if you mentioned it but how big is that steel?

As for the shot, I'd say 800 yards. If you are not 100% sure you cannot make the shot when it needs to count, you don't take it. Know your limitations; don't know why but the thing bothering me the most is the left to right half value wind from the rear.

Where were all of these hot shots this past weekend in New Mexico for the Score High Tactical Rifle Challenge? Cold Bore shot at 550 on a 7-8" plate (I believe), and there were misses aplenty.

This is what I'm thinking. I've seen lots of people miss there first few shots at 500 m, including me. I'm thinking most people would be like 60% from this range. Over a 1000? Hell, most the people I see at the range wouldn't even be able to spot their misses.

Or any other competitions throughout the country. 6" diamond at 400 yards in 10+ MPH wind is not an easy shot even not being cold bore. I watched probably %75 of the people at the SHC last month miss that and closer in 10-20 MPH winds. Also throw in a timed shot and a shooting position that you have never shot from before and it changes the game significantly. Shooting from a bench or your favorite shooting spot in the same orientation day after day and feeling confident you can hit the same targets you've shot at 100's of times at the same range is a lot different than ranging an unknown distance target, finding an appropriate position to shoot from and actually hitting the target at 400+ yards while under the stress of the clock is a whole different ball of wax if you ask me.

This is exactly my thought. The keyboard commandos never seem to come out and show off their 90% hit ratio on moa'ish sized targets at 600+ with their 308's. I would say that if someone is going to hit a coldbore on an 8'' target 90% of the time, 500 yards would be about the max for most. It's hard to hit any target 90% of the time, let alone a coldbore.

Wind is the enemy... However I took a cold bore shot at a coyote a hour ago at 1250, forgot that the prior rain raised the humidity, wind was on, hit 2-4" low:( If conditions were known and wind was flat 90% would be no prob, however wind is ever present and conditions are always changing. love trying it tho! first round hits are where its at!

At 100 yards, my shot-groups-of-ONE are known for their ragged hole greatness! :cool: Otherwise, my iron sights and old eyes combination limit me to about 200 yards on an 8 inch plate (painted neon orange, of course).

When I finished my last school I could take a cold bore head shot at 700 any day of the week. I was that tuned up. However that was a year ago and a lack of time and ammo to practice has brought that back to a 500 yd max.

Sierracharlie out....

oh yeah 110 percent of the time, its the internet. i'm amazing on the internet ;)

Wind is the enemy... However I took a cold bore shot at a coyote a hour ago at 1250, forgot that the prior rain raised the humidity, wind was on, hit 2-4" low:( If conditions were known and wind was flat 90% would be no prob, however wind is ever present and conditions are always changing. love trying it tho! first round hits are where its at!

You should have hit high if the humidity was higher... thus ever proving my point of most cannot hit a 6" diamond at 5-600 yards in 10+ MPH wind first shot...

I'd like the folks that voted "yes" to speak up and tell us how it's done.

I was one of the first to vote in this poll, just figuring it was going to be another bullshit poll, I was a smartass and voted yes, I think I was number 12 to vote and it was 8-4.

In reality, no way could I do it. And no way could anyone without a 1/2 moa rifle, and that's 1/2 moa at 1K, not 100 yards.
There's been some good discussion on this, most of it referring to varying conditions. But in the op it stated,

Here is the setup:
Your favorite rifle
Near sea level
63 degrees
55% humidity
9 mph wind left to right from 7 o'clock
Sun over your right shoulder

Ok, not stated was exact elevation, 200, 500 ASL
Other than BP, the atmospheric conditions don't change.
Wind is constant, it doesn't state fishtailing from 5-7 o'clock, or varying in speed.
Sun over your right shoulder, so are you shooting the same direction each time? At the same time roughly each day?

As static of conditions that the op stated, I think a lot of you are selling yourselves short on this one.

Now, if he would have said, on any given day, can you do this??????

I was one of the first to vote in this poll, just figuring it was going to be another bullshit poll, I was a smartass and voted yes.

Same here. I just voted yes to have people think there was people out there doing it. Just some joking around. That's a hell of a shot of course and very difficult but what do I know I am just a keyboard commando and didn't shoot the Score High match this year either ;)

A full MOA target at that distance with your wind call would be challenging enough. I am not used to seeing sub MOA targets at much closer ranges either.

Can you make a hit on a 8" gong with 1 shot on a cold bore from 1067 yards 90% of the time? If your answer is no then reply the distance at which you could.

Here is the setup:
Your favorite rifle
Near sea level
63 degrees
55% humidity
9 mph wind left to right from 7 o'clock
Sun over your right shoulder

On my home range Id be comfortable saying 500 yards 90% of the time on a 8" target, take that advantage away... take 100 off my distance. I say that knowing I logged 8 or 9 CB hits at 600 for the same number fired last year with my 260 on a 12" target only to miss a field target at ~525 from a unconventional and uncomfortable prone position, not on my home range... But I had the wind hold perfect :D

I would submit the following: It is more important to understand the conditions that limit your personal range to make that shot on an 8" gong. I have made cold bore shots with a 308 at around that distance on a slightly larger plate, but certainly not near 90% of the time (3000' ASL). HOWEVER, I can tell you when I am likely to make a cold bore than when I am not due to experience with the wind, temperature extremes and terrain. I discourage one from "trying" a long range shot on an animal. You should have the experience to know that you see the conditions and feel 99% sure you have that shot in the bag. In mountain terrain, even having a kestrel is not going to give you your true wind data more often than not, due to terrain variation. I hunt management whitetails during season and on permits with a 308 win. I can tell you some days I consider that cold bore surety around 700 yards, some days 400 yards depending on the conditions. My target zone on a whitetail is probably 8" if you consider an "ideal" hit.

No. Have probably averaged 1MOA or better at 1000yd (Bodines, depicted as 1024yd) for 90% of the shots in a 20rd F-Open COF over two-three years. Scores in the 180's-190's bear this out. 28" 1:8" .260 Rem 142SMK's at around 2800fps; done in Summer at around 1000ft ASL.

Cold bore is different for me. The rifle shoots a different, consistent CCB POI, high and right about 1/2MOA off POA. Making that work without sighter shots is not something I can achieve with any certainty.

Essentially all my shooting is done on KD COF's.

Greg

Last edited:
I would say about a year or so ago I could hit it probably 75% of the time but as we all know this isn't like riding a bike and I haven't had the time to practice lately. My showing at the Snipers Hide cup shows that, last year inside the top 20 and this year barely made the top 50.

Refreshing to see so many people who have realistic assessments of what it takes to connect at that range/target.

I'd agree with the consensus that 500 yd with an 8" would be doable with a good position, minimal time constraints, good data.