• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Can you modify a pre-made suppressor?

Frankr

Private
Minuteman
Aug 15, 2012
WEST
So dumb and crazy question but I am curious.

Lets say you have a suppressor and a better model comes out from the same company could you send in your old suppressor and have them engrave your number on a new suppressor and have them destroy your old can?

The only reason would be so you didn't have to do another Form 4 and have a can lying around that you don't use.

Thanks

Re: Can you modify a pre-made suppressor?

I would take Zak's word for it...with one exception/question.

IIRC, if the can has removable baffles, the company can upgrade the baffles and RE-USE the old tube, but they can't create a NEW tube (can't put an old SN on a virgin tube)

This is what SilencerCo did when they offered to upgrade customers existing Sparrow to the new SS Sparrow baffle stack.

Even if it's a sealed can you can have it opened up and re-cored by any manufacturer that does that work. They keep the tube intact and destroy the old parts. Perfectly legal.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: WileyC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Even if it's a sealed can you can have it opened up and re-cored by any manufacturer that does that work. They keep the tube intact and destroy the old parts. Perfectly legal. </div></div>

As long as they don't change the length of the tube.

Here's the ATF reference

http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/national-firearms-act-silencers.html

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The term “repair” does not include replacement of the outer tube of the silencer. The outer tube is the largest single part of the silencer, the main structural component of the silencer, and is the part to which all other component parts are attached. The replacement of the outer tube is so significant an event that it amounts to the “making” of a new silencer. As such, the new silencer must be marked, registered and transferred in accordance with the NFA and GCA.</div></div>

There are a lot more details at the link
-z

No doubt...untill it isn't....

"The term “repair” <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="text-decoration: underline">does not include replacement of the outer tube of the silencer</span></span>. The <span style="text-decoration: underline">outer tube </span>is the <span style="text-decoration: underline">largest single part </span>of the silencer, the<span style="font-weight: bold"> main structural component of the silencer</span>, and is the part to which all other component parts are attached. The replacement of <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="text-decoration: underline">the outer tube </span></span>is so significant an event that it amounts to the “making” of a new silencer. As such, the new silencer must be marked, registered and transferred in accordance with the NFA and GCA."

Refered to as the "Gemtech Ruling" we give thanks to years of sloppy book keeping and questionable repair/replacements for this littel doozie of a twist in BATF law. Clear as could be...says so right here. ITs the tube, the envelope, the "largest single part" the "part to which all the other component parts are attached"...you know..."the outer tube"...until....it isn't.

SilencercoOspreyInternals.jpg

econocan.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 762frmafr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
As long as they don't change the length of the tube. </div></div>

Not true, the tube can be shortened, i.e. the sparrow gen II upgrade.

Thanks for the info guys!. To bad you couldn't just cut the outer tube and slip it over a newer suppressor and weld them together either.

I have a sparrow also (1 of the first 50) I thought about re-coring it. I didn't know the shortened it also. Hmmmmm......decisions

Pistons can be replaced (for pistol cans) and purchased at will.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: c_bass16</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would take Zak's word for it...with one exception/question.

IIRC, if the can has removable baffles, the company can upgrade the baffles and RE-USE the old tube, but they can't create a NEW tube (can't put an old SN on a virgin tube)

This is what SilencerCo did when they offered to upgrade customers existing Sparrow to the new SS Sparrow baffle stack. </div></div>

yes, liberty also does this same thing when they upgrade a YHM or Gemtech to their .22 baffle design.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 50APIT</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 762frmafr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

</div></div>

<span style="font-style: italic"><span style="font-weight: bold">Q: May a repair change the dimensions or caliber of a silencer?</span>

If alterations to a silencer would increase the overall length or change the diameter or caliber of a silencer, this is the making of a new silencer, as opposed to a repair. The new silencer must be registered and transferred in accordance with the NFA and the GCA. <span style="text-decoration: underline">Alterations to a registered silencer that result in a <span style="font-weight: bold">minimal reduction in the overall length</span> for purposes of rethreading are permissible as repairs.</span> However, the reduction in length may not result in the removal, obliteration, or alteration of the existing serial number, as this would violate 18 U.S.C. § 922(k). If such a repair is necessary, the damaged silencer should be destroyed or returned to the registrant. If it is destroyed, destruction should be reported to the NFA Branch. Any replacement silencer must be registered and transferred in accordance with the NFA and the GCA. See also “May a Federal Firearms Licensee repair a silencer by replacing worn or damaged components?” and “May the outer tube of a registered silencer be repaired due to damage? If so, may the repair be done by someone other than the original manufacturer?” for further information on repairs.</span>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 50APIT</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 762frmafr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

</div></div>

The tube cannot be changed. The sparrows new end caps are now different. That is not the same thing.

Too much confusion for me to give it a try with my TacSol Cascade. I'd just rather clean it the hard way or buy a new one I can take apart. Zak , thanks for your input.
I will buy my next centerfire can from you. I wish I would have listened more closely when Hide member J.A. Hamilton told me to buy off you when I purchased my first .30 cal can.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYS338</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 50APIT</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 762frmafr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

</div></div>

The tube cannot be changed. The sparrows new end caps are now different. That is not the same thing. </div></div>

Watch this video @ :49 mark where the employee from SilencerCo holds up the ~1" piece of tubing that is cut off during the upgrade.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gP6elbo9IG8&lr=1&feature=mhee

Well I dont know what else to tell you other then SilencerCO just broke an ATF federal law. Unless they asked for permission to do that... it clearly states you cannot do that in their laws.

I was under the understanding you can not make the tube any longer but you can make it shorter if need be.

Dustin

Alterations to a registered silencer that result in a minimal reduction in the overall length for purposes of rethreading are permissible as repairs.

Goddammit...NFA/GCA and the regulation without legislation is petty, stupid and illegal.