• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Can you really decrimp wih out dies?

CK_32

Saving Ryans Privates
Minuteman
Jan 22, 2010
So I've been scrounging around for stuff to finally load up my 5.56 brass and reload 223 for my ARs. I currently have about 2,500 prices of once fired brass and only about 500 of that is crimped.

My cousin who is a bit of a cheap ass like my self said I don't HAVE to to buy the decrimping dies or tools and spend $35 for 500 uses.

He said you can use a drill but but before I do this is this true. Is there a danger if I don't. Yes I understand these tools are made for decrimping military brass but honestly $40 for 500 things of brass is not worth it to me if I don't need to.

So is his info true and if so how does it need to be done. Just drill out the small rim and be sure not to take out the primer pocket?

I have a RCBS primer pocket tool could I just use that? They look about the same thing, no?

RCBS Primer Pocket Brush Combination 9574 . RCBS Gunsmithing and Reloading Equipment.

No-that's just a cleaner. You can use a drill with a phillips #2 screwdriver bit chucked in it to remove the crimped portion around the primer pocket. Just do it enough to get a slight chamfer (tapered edge) around the primer pocket. I have used a pocket knife and removed the metal by hand before.

Yup got one of those. Ill try that then the screw driver and drill.