• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

can you run full lead in 1911 barrel

*greenhorn*

Minuteman
Aug 24, 2011
Daytona, Fl
can you run full lead in 1911 barrel? i have a PT1911 and a Colt? ive been told you can i know glocks and HK you cant just asking?

Re: can you run full lead in 1911 barrel

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Cowboy1978</div><div class="ubbcode-body">can you run full lead in 1911 barrel? i have a PT1911 and a Colt? ive been told you can i know glocks and HK you cant just asking? </div></div>

Lead bullets with antimony are the staple of the 1911. It's the polygonal rifling that needs to be cleaned judiciously, that 'can' cause problems in barrels utilizing that specific rifling.

You can shoot lead out of an HK and a Glock, you just have to be mindful of lead build-up and clean more frequently.

I've never gotten into shooting lead and I don't cast, but I've recently mulled over changing my mind in weapons like my Kimber Custom Eclipse II and my Norinco 1911. It can save on some cash, even buying 'factory lead' bullets.

Chris

Lead is fine in any standard rifled barrel. I would strongly advise against using lead in a glock. To many variables with lead to risk it in a glock. Ive seen a glock barrel crack the chamber after 150 soft lead bullets (6 bn) and hotter loads.

That is just about all I shoot out of my 1911's is lead. I cast my own and have for many years. Mostly wheel weight with linotype added and I have never had any leading issues.

I use mixed 45brass with Winchester Large pistol primers, Winchester 231 (5.5gr), and my 200gr SWC's without gas checks.

50 cal can full of raw cast bullets.
lead1.jpg

Sizing and lubricating on a Lyman 4500 with Jakes bullets lube (NRA Mix)
lead2.jpg

Lubricated, sized, stacked, ready for loading.
lead3.jpg

Close up of my 200gr SWC produced from a Lee Six cavity mold.
lead4.jpg

Currently I am shooting my 45 lead loads cheaper than 22lr, sad to say.

Terry

Absolutely. My buddy's Springfield has over 15k of lead down the pipe and my Kimber over 3k. I do use a 50 cal brush to get the lead out faster, most .45 brushes are about right for a .40, they seem to run one size too small...

My self and thousands of IPSC/USPSA shooters will tell you, Yes. If you shoot hard cast lead the lube build up can get a little unsightly but I never ran into any issues of barrel leading. The swegged(spelling)factory stuff can leave lead in the bore.

I also have run glocks and a HK USP with hard cast lead and never had any issues. But I do a more detailed cleaning with those.

yes, yes ,yes you can.

a 45 brush with alittle chore boy on it will clean that lead rite out

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Niles Coyote</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I also have run glocks and a HK USP with hard cast lead and never had any issues. But I do a more detailed cleaning with those. </div></div>
Yep may glock has seen over 5k lead bullets without any issues. hard cast lead and good/frequent cleaning is the key with any gun shooting lead bullets

All I shoot out of mine as well.

I'd never ever never shoot lead in a Glock. You'd spend much of your time cleaning the lead from the bore.

Cast bullets + Hodgdon Clays powder = the sweetest shooting and cleanest 45ACP ammo you will find. Leading is not a problem in this cartridge unless you use super hard cast bevel base bullets with hard "crayon" lube. Believe it or not, slightly softer slugs with flat bases and alox lube will leave a barrel looking great after hundreds of rounds. (Now this is with low pressure/velocity cartridges like the 45ACP or 38 Special...magnum cartridges can sometimes call for slightly different alloy.)

I don't even bother cleaning the bores of my Cowboy Action Shooting firearms...I have a 45 Colt lever gun that hasn't had the bore scrubbed in over a thousand rounds and it still lays down silver dollar-size groups at fifty yards. The bullets I use are hand-cast from wheel weights and are soft enough to easily dent with a fingernail. The lube is cheap Alox. My revolvers as well as those of my wife never lead up with this combo, even when velocities are pushed up around 1000 fps.

The Chore Girl tip is right on...unravel a few pieces and wrap around a brush. Two minutes and it is clean. Make sure it is the copper/bronze stuff. They make a stainless steel scrubbing pad, but it will scratch a bore.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Noah Mercy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Cast bullets + Hodgdon Clays powder = the sweetest shooting and cleanest 45ACP ammo you will find. </div></div>

+1 Been using this combo for 100,000 plus rounds and never had to break out the Lewis Lead Remover or the JB paste.

Also, a quick way to remove lead is to fire some jacketed ammo through at the end of your session. Then clean as normal.

I have had good results with precision bullets (swaged lead) + Win 231 in my 1911.

Sometime in the mid 70s i started casting bullets for my Ruger Super Blackhawk and 1911 Colt.

Shortly after Glocks came on the market i bought one and fed it cast bullets.

I have had no problems using my cast bullets in the various Glock handguns with factory barrels that have passed through my hands.

In my view their polygonal barrels are easier to clean than the traditional barrels found in Smith & Wesson and Ruger revolvers, and 1911 Colts!

Sometime in the mid 70s i started casting bullets for my Ruger Super Blackhawk and 1911 Colt.

Shortly after Glocks came on the market i bought one and fed it cast bullets.

I have had no problems using my cast bullets in the various Glock handguns with factory barrels that have passed through my hands.

In my view their polygonal barrels are easier to clean than the traditional barrels found in Smith & Wesson and Ruger revolvers, and 1911 Colts!

Some years ago I used to shoot the Hornady swaged lead 45 cal bullets. Although factory coated with a lubricant the bullets were accurate but dirty to handle and the lube tended to buildup in the seater die. Never tried the copper wash bullets but I would like to find some deals on hard cast 45 acp bullets. Any thoughts (brand)?

you sure can, I've got about 4k lead reloads through my rock island 1911. using unique powder and mostly hornady 230 lead round nose and I don't get any leading in the barrel. I do get some leading with cheycast lead bullets. In my opinion, using lead bullets is the main reason to justify reloading .45 to save money.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wyomauser</div><div class="ubbcode-body">you sure can, I've got about 4k lead reloads through my rock island 1911. using unique powder and mostly hornady 230 lead round nose and I don't get any leading in the barrel. I do get some leading with cheycast lead bullets. In my opinion, using lead bullets is the main reason to justify reloading .45 to save money. </div></div>

are you saying you use swaged lead bullets and Unique powder and do not get any leading?

yes you can and how fast it will lead up depends a lot on your bore, I had KKM and bar-sto barrels that look like a mirror inside and they never lead fouled while a factory FN Hi power barrel that looked like a rasp had lead coil coming off the grooves in less that a mag full of ammo. Glock barrels are so polished up lead isn't an issue either but +P lead loads are.