• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision Can you take your pvs14 overseas to hunt

Sure, after you apply for and are granted a temporary export permit. Of course approval will depend on what you have and where you are going, and in the end if you do.......................don't lose it.

You'd have to apply with the State Dept. and I'm almost sure the answer would be "no" because a foreign national here isn't even allowed to look through them. The risk of being in a 3rd world country and losing 'em to theft is just too high and the prize simply too valuable to a thief... When my buddy was in Iraq, I couldn't even get the congressman to help me get him a new J-arm --that's controlled too. State Dept. wouldn't get back to me. In the end, I had the option of sending it in the company mail so all I had to do was drop it off with CQ but you're not gonna have this luxury. What I'm getting at is it's a pain in the ass. And since almost nobody does it, nobody can give you any straight answers.

I remember a set of NODs came up stolen in another company the last day of infantry school, on 9/11 I think, and the next day before walking the parade field the CSM gave us a story about N. Koreans sneaking across the DMZ to steal NODs from soldiers while they're asleep. The value of 3rd gen. NODs are worth a fortune in most countries.

Now I bet if they were 2nd. gen or had an FOM below 1500 or 1600 you may be able to (that's the export cutoff). I don't know if you need permission for those but I'd check, probably do but probably stand a better chance getting approval. You may be able to rent a 2nd gen. something; if hunting I'd get a PVS4, even 2nd gen. they can still be good and on a starry and moonlit night you can see quite well with 'em. Or maybe a set of 2nd gen. PVS7's. Make sure your head gear isn't controlled too. Remember that J-arm I was talking about.

If you've got a federal building close by with a State Dept. office in it, I'd call there and plan on going in person to get anything done.

If anyone will know for sure I bet it'll be Vic at TNVC or maybe another dealer that's had experience actually doing it and pulling it off.

Well so much for that idea. It makes one wonder what the definition of export is. As a layman I would of thought taking your own crap to use and return with is not export. But export would imply taking shit overseas to sell.

Reactions: Brasscow
I wonder how many high end yacht owners have nvgs on board for legitimate use in navigation and docking; and regularly sail into foreign ports without giving it one thought.

I guess all those dudes taking Barrett’s and high end sniper rifles on alleged “hunting trips” that ended up in the former Yugoslavia in the 1990s got the attention of the government.

I wonder if your NOFs were made in France if it would be easier?

I’m thinking the Intens tubes...

Not without approval. Not sure how lenient the Gov. is with giving out said approval.

A word of advice is don't fuck with ITAR or EAR

I am not positive that NVG falls under ITAR. If it does, it is on the USML (Unified States Munitions List). You will have to apply to the Directorate of Defense Trade Controls (DDTC) at the State Department. It then depends on where you are going. If the country you are visiting is on the prohibited country list...no go. If not, don't bring it over and lose it...you'll be sorry....real sorry.

If your NVG doesn't fall under ITAR regulations, it will definitely fall under the Export Administration Regulations (EAR) which is administered by BIS. This governs "dual use" technologies which can be used in both military and civilian applications. Easier to get an export license but you are still fucked if you don't come back with the item.

I would leave them home