• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Fieldcraft Can you use a personal weapon at military range?

Dan8385

Private
Minuteman
Aug 22, 2009
Clarksville TN
Not sure if this is the right area to post this but, are military allowed to use personal weapons on the base's gun ranges? I am about to be stationed at Fort Campbell and wondering if this is possible to do on my free time? Thanks

Re: Can you use a personal weapon at military range?

Generally the use of ranges on base is strictly contolled. They have to be scheduled through range control, usually a bunch of uptight civilians. You have to check with them to see if you post has a POW range. A good start is if your post has a Rod&Gun Club they normally have an arrangement to use the ranges or have an assigned range for that purpose.

I know it would seem that the Army would encourage Soldiers to practice marksmanship but I've always said The Army and shooting is like sex and the Catholic church...you not supposed to do it for fun, practice is normally frowned upon and when you do it it has to be for a purpose and you have do it right the first time!!

Most of the time there is a Range ran by Morale,Welfare, and Recreation(MWR). Some times these ranges are in close proximity to qualification ranges, but generally Post Qual ranges are off limits. I have negative knowledge about FT. Campbell's policy as I have never been stationed there.

very interesting article. So sounds like I can if its the right weekend or im part of a club. So I take it its not a problem when moving into Ft Campbell its not a problem to bring my rifles with me right?

No problem with firearms on military installations for personnel stationed there. Enlisted living in the barracks have to keep them in the unit's arms room. Personnel living in on-post housing must register their firearms with the provost marshal's office and are allowed to keep them at home. Bringing weapons on post is not an issue for hunting/target shooting. Just be aware that my reference is from Ft. Stewart and individual units/posts may have different regulations. Also things could change in the near future. To be absolutely sure, call the provost marshal's office or the MP's before you arrive and they will fill you in on the local SOP.

I'm assuming you have never been either in Active Army and are transferring from the guard or you are a new soldier.

Either way- unless you are married, hold off on taking your personal weapons to Campbell. You literally might deploy a month after getting there. Additionally, if you are a single new soldier- just wait until you find out whats going on with your unit's life cycle. Once you make friends and know you won't be deploying any time soon THEN bring up your weapons and leave them at a trustworthy friend's place OFF post.

If you are married and will be taking goods with you and are not intending to live on post, you can take them and immediately rent a storage place off post to store them until you get permanent housing and get a feel for everything. Do this before ever even setting your eyes on the front gate. Last thing you need is a random search and explain to your brand new 1SG why you thought it was a good idea to bring weapons on post without knowing the ins and outs.

i know here at carson you just have to register it on post and you can go to range control and sign for a key and a radio and a flag and call the range hot and all that for the personel weapons range. its a pain in the ass, i guarantee there is a range closeby to cambell. but as far as shooting on the regular ranges no, other wise id be out at the KD range all the time shooting pop ups.

The issue with bases (atleast with USMC) is just where to hold the weapon(s). If in barracks the firearms in question will stay in base/unit armory as already posted. At quantico we have use of pistol, shotgun/skeet, short and long range rifle (1k at the longest). Not saying your place of duty will afford you the same opportunities, I'm just saying ive never had a problem shooting on base ranges...ever. *edit* with permission and range supervision of course.

after the wacko shrink episode I'd double check everything. YMMV
JH

It helps if you get in good with the CWO in charge of the range, who also happens to run your shooting team, who also happens to be good friends with your gunny, who also happens to be on the shooting team...
laugh.gif
I got a lot of looks the day I was allowed to bring my personal rifle to the range. Doesn't look much like an issue M16A4 after a closer look...

Been a long time for me, personally. When I went into a Reserve unit following release from active duty, I was assigned to HQ and the CWO & my Captain regularly invited me to bring along my CCW pistol when we were away for a weekend or two weeks at Fort Drum. But that was in the mid-60s - early 70's and things may have changed.

don't worry about the book answer because it's probably stupid. it would end up being up the range oic/ncoic. how would they tell the difference between a personal glock and a government glock? m4 and m4?

if it helps we do it quite a bit, great chance to gather dope on personal rifles on someone else's dime.

Ft Lewis has a public range, goes ouit to 300 or 400 - used to shooter "Sniper golf" there with SKRanger before he went to IRaq..

Where you at SK???

Ft Lewis also had a "1000 yard league" out on KD-22 range - once a month we went and shot 3 strings of 20 rds...

Man that was fun.

Glad that Zeroed1983 found the link to the Fort Campbell Courier! Range 16 has been the POW (privately owned weapons) range since the 1980's. You can shoot rifle and pistol on that range, and they had targets set up way in the distance (over 700 meters, if memory serves). Range control is very close to Range 16 (N/NW within 1/2 mile) and they can answer your questions if the MWR can't. Also, Range 14 is the known distance (KD) range there, and high power matches were held there routinely. Not sure the current status, but again, with the 101st and 5th SFG(A) there, there should be a good sized shooting community.

I used to run by that range for PT every day. They opened it back up if I remember correctly around 2007. It looks like a decent range to shoot on. I only shot on the mil ranges since I was in command and didn't have time to do much else (0500-2100 was my approx. work day).

Campbell was a great place! Great soldiers, damn good units!

This is a similar question, but from a different perspective. If any of y'all have experience with the Bethesda Naval Base, what sort of range facilities do they have?

Also, if you are a civilian, but are a spouse of someone based there, would they allow you to use the range facilities at all?

Not sure that comes up a lot, but I was curious, and everyone I know that has been through there has either been a submariner or worked at the pentagon. So not a lot of luck there, they really could care less about the rifle range.

Thanks in advance for anything y'all know.