• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Canadian SF Sniper's In Iraq

[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"http:\/\/i.imgur.com\/reR7Wjz.png"}[/IMG2]

A sniper with Canada’s elite special forces in Iraq has shattered the world record for the longest confirmed kill shot in military history at a staggering distance of 3,450 metres.

Sources say a member of Joint Task Force 2 killed an Islamic State insurgent with a McMillan TAC-50 sniper rifle while firing from a high-rise during an operation that took place within the last month in Iraq. It took under 10 seconds to hit the target.

“The shot in question actually disrupted a Daesh [Islamic State] attack on Iraqi security forces,” said a military source, who stressed the operation fell within the strictures of the government’s advise and assist mission. “Instead of dropping a bomb that could potentially kill civilians in the area, it is a very precise application of force and because it was so far way, the bad guys didn’t have a clue what was happening.”

The kill was independently verified by video camera and other data, The Globe and Mail has learned.

“Hard data on this. It isn’t an opinion. It isn’t an approximation. There is a second location with eyes on with all the right equipment to capture exactly what the shot was,” another military source said.

A military insider told The Globe: “This is an incredible feat. It is a world record that might never be equalled.”

The world record was previously held by British sniper Craig Harrison, who shot a Taliban gunner with a 338 Lapua Magnum rifle from 2,475 metres away in 2009.

Previously, Canadian Corporal Rob Furlong had set the world record in 2002 at 2,430 metres when he gunned down an Afghan insurgent carrying an RPK machine gun during Operation Anaconda.

Weeks before, Canadian Master Cpl. Arron Perry briefly held the world’s best sniper record after he fatally shot an insurgent at 2,310 metres during the same operation. Both soldiers were members of the 3rd Battalion Princess Patricia’s Canadian Light Infantry.

JTF2 special forces are primarily tasked with counterterrorism, sniper operations and hostage rescue. Much of the information about this elite organization is classified and not commented on by the government. The unit’s snipers and members of Canadian Special Operations Regiment, who are carrying out the main task of training Kurdish forces, have been operating in tough conditions in Iraq.

The Trudeau government pulled CF-18 fighter jets out of Iraq in 2016 but expanded the military mission, which will see the number of Canadian special forces trainers climb to 207 from 69 in an assist, train and advise mission. Canadian commandos are not supposed to be involved in direct combat, but are authorized to go up to the front lines on training missions with Kurdish Peshmerga fighters and to paint targets for coalition air strikes.

For operational security reasons, sources would not reveal the names of the elite Canadian sniper and his partner, nor the location where the action took place.

A sniper and his observer partner are often sent to remote and dangerous locations to hunt down insurgents while having to carry heavy equipment. Once they have located the target, snipers follow the same methodical approach before each shot. Breathe in, out, in, out, find a natural pause and then squeeze the trigger.

Canada has a reputation among Western military forces for the quality of its snipers, despite the small size of the Canadian Armed Forces compared to the United States and Britain.

“Canada has a world-class sniper system. It is not just a sniper. They work in pairs. There is an observer,” a military source said. “This is a skill set that only a very few people have.”

The skill of the JTF2 sniper in taking down an insurgent at 3,450 metres required math skills, great eyesight, precision of ammunition and firearms, and superb training.

“It is at the distance where you have to account not just for the ballistics of the round, which change over time and distance, you have to adjust for wind, and the wind would be swirling,” said a source with expertise in training Canadian special forces.

“You have to adjust for him firing from a higher location downward and as the round drops you have to account for that. And from that distance you actually have to account for the curvature of the Earth.”

U.S. Sergeant Bryan Kremer has the longest confirmed sniper kill shot by a U.S. soldier. He killed an Iraqi insurgent with his Barrett M82A1 rifle at 2,300 metres in 2004.

Thats some damn fine shooting.

Even at a bit over 2.1 miles I bet that 50 caliber round made a mess.

No "Spin D" love or "Coriolis Effect"? That's Bullshit. That's also a helluva hit. Anybody run the approximate ft lbs of energy expended at that distance? Bullet had to be running like a solid at that point. Good Lord. Hella impressive. ;)

^^ Nope , GD makes some stuff for those guys though . For A1J , Raufoss would
have around 700 lb at sea level : no data for exotic DU or other ammo .

Thanks Clearlight. Damn, that's close to being twice as much as my best guess of 4-500 ft lbs. Just amazing. Bang! Wait for it, wait for it....................
Hit! :p

Holy skeet that's impressive. I have think those guys are just making a sport of it by this point. I picture it going something like:
Sniper - "You think I can hit him eh?"

Spotter - "You're loonier than a moose after a few litres of Labatt's you are. But why not try eh?"

As fine as this data is, there may be one more factor missing. Seeing as the trajectory had to originate with such elevation, there is also the "terminal velocity" of the projectile falling straight down in the end, eh? Just ask Wesley Snipes!

;)

For you math wizards how would this scale out if the .50 cal projectile was scaled to that of a 16 inch naval gun from the Missouri?

Those ships would fire 18-25 miles. Is this the equivalent of the .50 cal shot?

Just curious. Is the solution similar to that in naval gunnery?

This is making such a story that non shooting people are contacting me and asking can this be true? They think its a lucky shot. I think the only thing lucky about it was that after the shooter/spotter figured out the solution for 10 plus seconds nothing they had no control over changed to ruin it.

Great job.

Even at a bit over 2.1 miles I bet that 50 caliber round made a mess.

Probably not. At that range even though the .50 cal bullet has the mass to keep it's velocity longer than a lighter bullet, it's doing slightly less than 1,000 FPS when it hit the target. Still enough to make the kill though, but if you want to see a mess then look what 25mm and 30mm HE rounds fired from a gunship looks like. ;)

Last edited:
Anyone know what type of glass they usually run.
I can't imagine being able to see and individual at that distance with mirage, etc.

Anyone know what type of glass they usually run.
I can't imagine being able to see and individual at that distance with mirage, etc.

Well it was sniper vs sniper so a Countersniper would be a good bet.

I wonder which reticle within the reticle they used and what color.

How much base cant was on the receiver? Which scope, and ret was used to allow that much, aimed, up?
Anyone know the enviro numbers at shot time?

When a real operator doesn't have the cant he never thinks "I can't".

TRex...

I would hate to ask him a technical question. I would need to ask for a break after an hour. He sure has put on some weight since last I listened to him last. BTW, I didn't listen or watch all 36 minutes of this one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bzwY6jIwr2o

TRex...

I would hate to ask him a technical question. I would need to ask for a break after an hour. He sure has put on some weight since last I listened to him last. BTW, I didn't listen or watch all 36 minutes of this one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bzwY6jIwr2o

" Rex delivers expert scientific analysis of this historic record shot!"

funny how a man with no pedigree, and no formal training can fancy himself an "expert"..........someone should tell him that having a youtube channel doesnt make you an expert.

whats better is he is actually teaching classes now........because apparently if James yeager promotes you, you have to be good.....

At that range, the projectile is coming down at a very acute angle.... and if it's a .50, still manages to hit with massive energy.

Corpses that get hit at those kind of ranges end up looking like peeled bananas.

Which is a great deterrent.

Just 'sayin.

Cheers,

Sirhr

P.S. One of my acquaintances at Blackwater (Billy) was an ex-JTF guy from outside Montreal, Canada. The ex-(unit does not exist supposedly ) guys were very busy explaining how awesome they were. Billy was very down to earth and I learned a lot from him. He didn't talk much. But when he spoke, one listened. His deployments were myriad... Haiti, Balkans, more. A guy I respected from moment-one.

" Rex delivers expert scientific analysis of this historic record shot!"

funny how a man with no pedigree, and no formal training can fancy himself an "expert"..........someone should tell him that having a youtube channel doesnt make you an expert.

whats better is he is actually teaching classes now........because apparently if James yeager promotes you, you have to be good.....

Right? Thought the same thing when he tried to analyze or critique or whatever one of Lowlight's vids LOL.

Right? Thought the same thing when he tried to analyze or critique or whatever one of Lowlight's vids LOL.

Welllll, he has a huge online following, many of them who have no idea who Frank is or what his credentials are. As I recall, he was asked by some of these followers about the video Frank did that showed a difference in MV when shooting prone vs. from a bench. Rex did a video to analyze it in his typical way that his followers have come to expect, and in the end showed why Franks's conclusions were real and accurate. I don't think that he was personally critiquing Frank, but rather responding to explain Frank's video to his followers who were questioning it. At least that's what I got out of it.

General Dynamic makes some nice .50 BMG MATCH ammo it is a group of ballistically matched ammo. Ball, AP,API and APIT. The round used was an API I believe I forget the grains offhand. The ball stuff is 709 grains GD calls this ammo Sniper Elites.

Here is a picture of a 3 shot group at 1500m 3.5" with two stacked on top of each other and one high. The rifle is the CF C-15 surppressed (McMillan Tac. 50) with 709 GR Sniper Elites by GD shot by CF Sniper who lurks on here;)

Attachments

• photo72102.jpg
    photo72102.jpg
    134 KB · Views: 21