• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Cannot get 6.5 CM to feed in AI AXMC

fmjfirearms

Private
Minuteman
Mar 1, 2018
I have a new AI AXMC long action.
I cannot get 6.5 rounds to feed out of the .308 mags.
They just slam into the barrel face.
I know some guys have got them to feed, any tips or ideas.
Cheers
Mark

Oh boy. Get ready for the assault. You don’t question AI rifles on this forum. Ever. Only praise the rifles here ?

Reactions: M338
My axmc with 6 creedmoor was hanging up on the feed ramp and the bolt lug ring interface, polished it smooth and has been running good.

The 308 has a 20 degree shoulder, the CMs have a 30 degree shoulder and less body taper. That's where the issue lies when using magazines designed for 308 parent cartridges. I would not go grinding or sanding on the feed ramp. You may try to manipulate the feed lips on the magazine so that they release the cartridge sooner. If the mags are metal you could use flat jaw pliers to slightly open the front edge of the feed lips and spread them slightly to compensate for the straighter taper of the CM case. Essentially if the CM sits up a little higher in the mag it will approach the chamber at a less steeper angle. If the mags are polymer you may have use a file and sandpaper to work on the lips. Always work on the cheaper part first. A little adjustment goes along way so do a little work and try it, so on and so forth.

Factory ammo or reloads?

I've seen reloads in multiple different magazine types where the COAL was just a hair too long and it allowed the rounds to stack in the mag but would tilt forward. Caused your issue as well as bolt overrun, double feeds, etc.

There is a couple good vids on YouTube on mag adjustment whether metal or magpuls fixed the issues your having for me

Hi Guys
Some pics attached of the problem.
Thanks
20200210_134606.jpg
20200210_134642.jpg
20200210_134702.jpg
20200210_134742.jpg

have you tried a newer mag? those things look beat to shit.
Look at the feed lips on that mag. They’ve clearly been fucked with.

My thoughts exactly. The beat up conditions of the mag lips and maybe a long COAL is what it looks like to me(?). Kind of hard to diagnose from a few still pictures....

Yeah, get a new mag and try it. That thing is beyond fucked. I never had any issue feeding 6.5 Creed in my AXMC both factory and reloads, both fed like butter.

True learning question for me on this, for those pointing to the feedlips, is it the thoughts that the lips are bent in a way that it isn't letting go of the round soon enough? Or am I misinterpreting?

Without calipers and multiple measurements across the feed lips (and other measurements, like the height of the lip, gap width, etc.), it's hard to say. Looking at one pic, you can see someone used some pliers to adjust the lips a bit (can see the teeth marks), which means it's anybody's guess where the feed lip actually was bent (just the lip, or the lower side wall of the lip, also where it was adjusted along the length of the lip matters too).

I know it's probably not the OP's fault, but this is where a feed lip tool pays dividends in adjusting them properly, and in the appropriate area. I don't know why more people don't sell the tools, since it is really just a piece of aluminum bar stock, slit with a slitting saw the appropriate thickness and depth. I forget what the dimensions are for the one I made; but you just need something to support the entire lip while bending/adjusting it. @LongRifles Inc. could probably churn out a hundred of these "tools" for a decent profit....somewhere in the archives, Chad had a treatise of sorts, explaining the position a cartridge should be, to feed properly into a chamber. The whole "figure eight" set of annotated pictures and such...

ETA: Basically though, with an AI, you shouldn't have to tweak anything. Hence why folks are pointing out that these mags have been dorked with, and scream out as the likely culprit to the OP's feedeing issues.

Last edited:
Reactions: Diver160651
Hi Guys
Secondhand mag, i will buy a new one tomorrow.

MarinePMI, do you think you could find that post from Chad, it might help me.

Not to derail the thread (I'm on board with getting a new mag lol), but @walkabout can you post some pics here or in the AI picture thread of your AXMC? Not sure I've seen one fully cerakoted camo, I'm interested in seeing what it looks like!

Hi Guys
Secondhand mag, i will buy a new one tomorrow.

MarinePMI, do you think you could find that post from Chad, it might help me.

I went and did a couple searches with nothing popping up. I can't recall if his post was lost during the migration back from Scout (I seem to think he posted it during the "Scout" hosting days).

I've got the same issue even feeding 338LM, but only from the right side of the magazine. I discussed this with Mile High once and they told me to call in with the magazine in hand and they would try to talk me thru adjusting the feed lips correctly. If I recall correctly it is a fairly common thing to need to slightly tweak the lips to get flawless feeding from the mags as they are hand made. My fuzzy memory could be a little off on the details but if you call Mile High I'm sure they can enlighten you on your best options.

I would if I was in the US.
Across the pond in the UK.
I will try the new mags and make a tool if needed.

I will post some pictures of it Cerakoted on the AI Picture thread now.

Hit up the UK Varminter board, there's an AI saavy gunsmith ("Baldie") that hangs out there. Pretty sure he's an AI dealer and has at least one AI himself. He could probably help out via a short phone call. I wanna say his business was "Valkyrie" something or other (rifles?)...he's been in the trade for years now...

Those mags have to be letting the bullet go early and then the bolt is just smashing the bullet tip into the beach after the round just pops on top

Reactions: 6brshooter
You don’t need a feed lip tool to get creedmoor to feed from a AX mag, that’s bullshit. Ignore all of it. If it doesn’t feed from the new mag you order (doubt you’ll have any troubles) then you received a defective mag or there’s something else going on and you should treat both the rifle and mag like a sore dick and not fuck with it. Let it go back to AI if you have further trouble and let them figure it out. I doubt that will be the case though since your current mag is clearly FUBAR and myself and a crapload of other people have had zero issues feeding creedmoor rounds in an AXMC.

Reactions: Blaster7Romeo
Gentlemen
I would like to thank everybody for their help.
Got a new magazine today, works perfect.
Also using the dimensions of the new one and a lip tool I made up, I have the old one working perfect as well.
Result!
Thanks again members of SH the best forum going!
Cheers from across the pond
Mark

Gentlemen
Also using the dimensions of the new one and a lip tool I made up, I have the old one working perfect as well.
Result!
Mark
Can you share the dimensions you are using? Same measurements across the front opening versus back? I had mag issues, played with the feed lip tool as a shot in the dark before sending two mags back, and stumbled into getting them to work.

Mine was cut to a depth of roughly 0.175" and the slot was roughly .050" (I say "roughly, because all I had were .035" slitting saw blades, so I had to take a second pass, and there was some tool deflection). It just needs to be wide enough to accept the feed lip and support it, while bending/moving the lip up and out, or down and in). I'll take a picture on my phone and attach it.
80B83286-6D89-4F11-A650-683DC280BB0D.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: MCHOG
The solution is AICS mags. AW mags fed 6cm like shit in my AXMC. Angled wrong...

I have a new AI AXMC long action.
I cannot get 6.5 rounds to feed out of the .308 mags.
They just slam into the barrel face.
I know some guys have got them to feed, any tips or ideas.
Cheers
Mark
AICS mags solve your problem...

It does, but try getting them!
They are not available here in the UK, are they in the US?
Interestingly I tried a AICS mag in my AXMC Long action and it fed 6.5 CM perfectly.

Gentlemen
Result!
Mark

Out of curiosity which way did you tweak the problem mag to get it working?
It looks like the feed lips were too wide in the front and let the round go too soon which let the base come up and tip miss the chamber.

newguy2k3v2
I just used the dimensions of a new mag.
See post above.
I have also tried a new AICS mag I had and it feeds great too.