• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

cant break savage barrel nut

slate84

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 6, 2010
Brookings SD
i started by clamping the barrel down in some hardwood i cut half circles in each side to fit the contour and no matter how hard i clamped it down it still rotated, then i cut some rubber heater hose and wrapped that around, still rotated but better, started heating the poop out of the nut with a propane torch and still wouldn't break, i eventually got them so tight in the vice that i scratched the barrel so i just gave up on saving that and clamped the barrel strait in the vice. Ive been heating the poop out of the nut with the torch, using a wheeler barrel wrench on the nut, using a breaker bar on the wrench to hold torque on it, then smacking the wrench with a dead blow, i just cant get it to break and im getting frustrated. i covered the hole thing in deep creep and left it sitting in the garage.

any help on techquines you could give would be appreciated.

Re: cant break savage barrel nut

1) You sure you're going in the right direction? (had to ask)
2) By "heating the poop out of..." can you explain? I'm worried that you've compromised the receiver.

3) Skip that wrench, just put a metal hammer to the barrel nut wrench. This way the impact force isn't damped out by the joint and the deadblow is a soft impact anyway.

if the barrels point at me, im trying to spin the nut in a counter clockwise direction, as to loosen it away from the reciever. by heating the poop out of it, i really meant i was heating up the front side of the nut keeping the flame away from the lug and reciever, i've been holding on the the action about 4-6in away not heating it more than i could comfortably hold onto the action still.

Reactions: Boxkicker

Do you have an action wrench? You put that in the action, and match it up to the little screw hole on the side. Then put that in the vise and then turn. That way you aren't putting all that pressure on the barrel. Just the nut and the action from a very strong angle. You can get one from MidwayUSA. see:

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=710783

Edit:

Sorry, that wrench goes around the front ring and there is a screw hole on the side which takes the shear strength of the force applied to loosen the nut. It still works a lot better than clamping the barrel.

Edit II:

Put some Kroil or JB-80 in there and let it sit for a couple hours.

One quick question. Do you have a scope base on the rifle? If so check the front base and loosen the the screws, and try to remove the nut again. If the base mounbting screws are even a little to long they will bind the barrel and now let you get it loose.

nope, took the scope and mounts and base off. i was hoping not to have to buy a action wrench since that puts me another week back from getting to the range and since i all ready F$(#*# up the barrel.

The action wrench is the way to go on the Savages. This and the barrel nut wrench with one or two wacks from a dead blow hammer and your done.

being that mines a short action i dont know if that action wrench would work. i'd think wheeler would have worded it model 10/110 like on the barrel wrench if i'd work on mine.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: slate84</div><div class="ubbcode-body">being that mines a short action i dont know if that action wrench would work. i'd think wheeler would have worded it model 10/110 like on the barrel wrench if i'd work on mine. </div></div>

Action wrench works, that's what I used when I built up a short action. Use some tape on the action where it touches the wrench so you don't mar it.

ok, the teeth on the wrench are starting to deform after beating the shart out the wrench with a regular hammer with the barrel locked down in the vice as tight as i can. the barrel is still slipping, im tempted to just buy a $10 nut and just cut the old one off.

i know the barrel nut wrenches are the same, i was concerned about the action wrench.

I had the same problem. I cut mine off with a dremel. The barrel nuts are only about $10 or $12 from midway. If you are careful you can keep from cutting into the barrel. Once you have a cut in there to relieve the stress it comes right off.

The action wrench works on both long and short actions, large and small shanks. Since you ruined the barrel you might as well just throw a pipe wrench on it. The action wrench is the only way to go if you want to swap barrels

actually, im siding with dog on this one, used a dremel. after a little bit of fancey carving on the nut, heard a pop and the nut was loose. i'll never switch back to that old barrel anyway so whatever. got my order placed at midwayusa along with some lug lapping compound so not to much longer. i'll have to post picks of this stick, shes looking pretty stellar.

Ok, misread your post. Last one I did I had to use a ratchet and a 3ft cheater bar on it. But I sound like you got one of the gorilla installed ones.

When I have had problems before I have clamping the barrel down in a barrel vise. Put the wrench on the nut. and then beat the wrench with a hammer. If that doesn't work I don't know what to tell ya.

i got lucky. i clamped the barrel in the blocks and one whack with a 1 lb hammer and i was done. thats crazy tight you got there man

i'll have to post a picture of my bench vice i broke trying to clamp down on the barrel. broke it in two, i couldn't believe it. brand new bessey, good thing i got the recipe.

Just drill a bigger hole in the blocks and use them as an action wrench.

I think it's about 1-3/8".

Before I bought my barrel vise I ground two flats on the factory barrel, clamped it in the vice with the barrel pointed away from me with the nut wrench on. Bang with a single jack.... loose. I did soak the nut for a full night with liquid wrench. Now I use a wheeler barrel vice. You just need to commit and hit the wrench hard.

thats it johnnyk, commit to it. no hesitation. just smack that bitch. smack it til you get the pawn ticket for your favorite pistol, just smack it til she ... uh, yeah, a good sharp rap should do it

Remove the bolt from the action, take you a piece of flat steel or something solid, I use 1/2 inch extension that is 8" long and slide that in the action from the top or bottom it doesn't matter. Place that on the floor and put your barrel nut wrench on the barrel nut, and give it a good whack with a hammer it will break loose.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Got Diesel</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Remove the bolt from the action, take you a piece of flat steel or something solid, I use 1/2 inch extension that is 8" long and slide that in the action from the top or bottom it doesn't matter. Place that on the floor and put your barrel nut wrench on the barrel nut, and give it a good whack with a hammer it will break loose. </div></div>

That sounds like a great way to twist an action. I'm glad it worked for you, but that's really not a good idea.

I had the same problem I worked on my barrel nut for two days took it to a smith and found out I wasnt heating it enough. After he applied the right amount of heat with a propane torch it spun right off without even hitting the wrench with a hammer. Hope that helps if you havent gotten it off already.

I've had no problems with just the action wrench and barrel wrench. I always soak mine in kroil for a day or two.
I tried the barrel in hardwood and vise thing, but it never worked for me. roughly $50 for the action wrench and now I can remove a barrel in about 5 minutes.

Sometimes they stick or have some locktite or corrosion or residual bluing salts...

Don't beat on it...apply a little heat with a torch to the nut and it will come loose.

TC