• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Cant Decide between Stiller and Defiance?

born2kill

Private
Minuteman
Aug 24, 2014
Looking to pick up one of these actions for my up coming build but cant decide on which one. Everyone keeps saying stiller is one of the best for the money and right now there value is much lower then Defiance right now. my choices are Stiller Tac 30 or Defiance Deviant.

This rifle will be a multipurpose hunting and target rifle. I will bring it out for the odd match i can make it too, practice and plinking as well as hunting! One gentleman that shoots at my club was saying the Defiance Deviant has a little tighter tolerances and could cause some binding out in the field or any of those super windy matches. The stiller should keep up a little nicer out in the field. Now the stiller has the 2 piece bolt. What is your boys opinion on these actions. I see them on here all the time and read 5-6 thread on them but love to hear experiences.

If it were me, I would take the Deviant- integral lug and rail. The Stiller is the best value for custom actions at about $950. Some say that the Stillers need a little break in time to smooth out

I would go with the Deviant also, That's what I shoot in PRS matches and local comps and it has been through quite a bit of sand,dust,grit,rain everything you can think of and I haven't had any trouble with it. The integral lug and rail are also a must for me when i'm looking for a custom action.

Stiller spectre has the integral rail and shoots awesome. I don't think you will see any accuracy difference between the tac30,spectre, or deviant.

Reactions: TreyMeTrey
Quick question, with All things being equal and you had everything the same on 2 rifles except the action, stiller and defiance.... Let's just say that the stiller will shoot 0.250" at 100 yards every time you take it and shoot it. By having the defiance with the integral rail and lug, how much better will that allow my rifle to shoot?

Reactions: TreyMeTrey
you wont notice an discernible difference in accuracy, especially if its a bench gun. The Deviant is just a but stiffer and offers increased barrel tenon. Also it also an easier setup for switch barrel if that is your thing.
The Deviant also offers many custom options as well

Defiance, but stiller if $$ is a consideration. Both are great actions, neither will be more accurate than the other.

I'd go Stiller because I really could not say one is better than the other in anyway after using both...except on the wallet. This affords you to spend money where it would make a difference ie glass or something.

If money is not a concern, I'd go with the Defiance: it's a better action all around. But Stiller is a good value if you're on a budget

Call Mark at AO, he will sell you on Stiller and he sells both. He says the tolerances from action to action are the best out there.

Its all preference really, But I've owner a defiance Rebel and that thing was butter smooth and locked up really well! No complaints at all... with a side bolt release I couldnt be happier

I have a Stryker Ridge by Defiance and it has a very smooth bolt manipulation. I would have gone with the Deviant but they don't work in a Cadex Chassis. The Deviants have integrated picatinny rail and recoil lug. I believe both of those is pinned in the Stiller Tac seres.

My opinion should count for little in how you spend your money, but I own a tac 338 I can't imagine what else could be done to make me spend more than that .It's never ever going to be for sale and it's super accurate period.

Money is somewhat of an issue and I am located in Canada and the difference between the two actions are 300-400 dollars. The stillers are 1135-1250 and deviants are 1600 plus. I have located a Stiller Tac 30 and i think i might run that route!

Money is somewhat of an issue and I am located in Canada and the difference between the two actions are 300-400 dollars. The stillers are 1135-1250 and deviants are 1600 plus. I have located a Stiller Tac 30 and i think i might run that route!

I would not have guessed the actions to be that much more expensive to buy in Canada.

I would not have guessed the actions to be that much more expensive to buy in Canada.

Thats all before Ontarios Really high tax rate too which is fantastic putting the Deviants around 1800.00 and the stillers closer to 1350-1400. I am working out a deal for a stiller at a great price and is the reason im leaning that way

Although I suggested the Deviant, you will not be sorry if you go with the stiller. It's splitting hairs between most custom actions, the accuracy will have more to do with the guy that chambers the barrel than which custom action you went with. Good luck with the build!

Speaking of build, what are your plans for it?

Thats all before Ontarios Really high tax rate too which is fantastic putting the Deviants around 1800.00 and the stillers closer to 1350-1400. I am working out a deal for a stiller at a great price and is the reason im leaning that way

That is just crazy. Price of free healthcare I guess. Now knowing the severity of taxes and import. The Stiller would be my recommendation for you. The Deviants are nice but the quality of the action, raceway, threads is on par with Stiller. Defiance is great because of all the options you can get integrated but I would go Stiller in your shoes.

Although I suggested the Deviant, you will not be sorry if you go with the stiller. It's splitting hairs between most custom actions, the accuracy will have more to do with the guy that chambers the barrel than which custom action you went with. Good luck with the build!

Speaking of build, what are your plans for it?

Well if all plans out with this guy it looks like i be going with a Stiller Tac 30, with a Benchmark 6.5 1:8 twist BBL Rem Varmint Contour finished at 26" chambered in 260. rem, Jewel trigger, McMillan A5 Stock, and some unknown muzzle brake (JP or JEC i think). All finished off Cerakoted Coyote Tan and the stock done as the Desert Gap Camo is what i think im settling with.

Well if all plans out with this guy it looks like i be going with a Stiller Tac 30, with a Benchmark 6.5 1:8 twist BBL Rem Varmint Contour finished at 26" chambered in 260. rem, Jewel trigger, McMillan A5 Stock, and some unknown muzzle brake (JP or JEC i think). All finished off Cerakoted Coyote Tan and the stock done as the Desert Gap Camo is what i think im settling with.

very nice!

That is just crazy. Price of free healthcare I guess. Now knowing the severity of taxes and import. The Stiller would be my recommendation for you. The Deviants are nice but the quality of the action, raceway, threads is on par with Stiller. Defiance is great because of all the options you can get integrated but I would go Stiller in your shoes.

Well i appreciate the feedback there. Unfortunately going with a special order from a company is tough on its own and no cheaper so we have to choose with whats in stock normally and they order the basic stuff that generally sells so if i were to go with a deviant it wouldn't have any options on it just intergrated, no fancy ports, or fluting, or anything.

very nice!

Like i said i just cant figure out if i want the JP or the JEC brakes other then that the McMillan will be here Wednesday next week, the Jewel Arrived yesterday, the Benchmark should be here late next week and im working out the details with the stiller and it should be here Next week as well if it all goes well tonight! My shooting partner is going to go with an almost identical build but with an M24 contour i believe as he feels its better. Any opinions on the 2 contours?

Like i said i just cant figure out if i want the JP or the JEC brakes other then that the McMillan will be here Wednesday next week, the Jewel Arrived yesterday, the Benchmark should be here late next week and im working out the details with the stiller and it should be here Next week as well if it all goes well tonight! My shooting partner is going to go with an almost identical build but with an M24 contour i believe as he feels its better. Any opinions on the 2 contours?

I don't like the M24 because it seems like they tried to lighten a MTU contour and took material away from where it matters most. The Rem varmint, MTU, and palma contours have a 1.25" mating surface with the action as the M24 has a 1.20" mating surface. I feel that part of the bbl needs to be a stiff as possible and that extra .05" could make a difference as it is supporting the rest of the barrel. This is my opinion but I feel it is sound theory, so take it for what it is.

I have medium palma barrels for my surgeon and I put a MTU on my new comp rig that is built on a Deviant and that thing shoots better than I could have hoped for. on two different days I have shot a .928" (0.18 MOA) 3 shot group at 500 yards and a 1.051" (0.13 MOA) 3 shot group at 775 yards. Needless to say I am very happy with it.

in no way shape or form did I see were the defiance was worth more money, compared to the stiller. my opinion. lee

I've also planning a new build, here's the info I've gathered:

STILLER TAC30 / DEFIANT DEVIANT
Remington Footprint: Y / Y
Material 416 SS / 416 SS
Railways Wire EDM / Wire EDM
Bolt 1 Piece / 1 Piece
Bolt Fluting Y / Y
Extractor M16 / M16
Recoil Lug 3/16" / 1/4"
Lug Attachment Pinned / Integral
Price $950 / $1,460
Picatinny Rail 20MOA +$75 / Included

The comparable Stiller (w/ 20moa Rail) would be $1,025 compared to $1,450 for the Defiance Deviant.

Basically for $435 more, the Deviant offers a integral rail and integral recoil lug that is 1/16" thicker than the Stiller recoil lug.

Personally I'd go for the Stiller. Unless there is good authority that a 1/16" thicker integral recoil lug confers actual benefits compared to a pinned recoil lug, I'd rather save $435 and screw in the rails myself. Also I like having the option of changing out the 20MOA rails for a 0MOA rail. IMO the Deviant is needlessly overbuilt, and it's price reflects that.

Let me know if I'm missing something.

Last edited:
I've also planning a new build, here's the info I've gathered:

STILLER TAC30 / DEFIANT DEVIANT
Remington Footprint: Y / Y
Material 416 SS / 416 SS
Railways Wire EDM / Wire EDM
Bolt 1 Piece / 1 Piece
Bolt Fluting Y / Y
Extractor M16 / M16
Recoil Lug 3/16" / 1/4"
Lug Attachment Pinned / Integral
Price $950 / $1,460
Picatinny Rail 20MOA +$75 / Included

The comparable Stiller (w/ 20moa Rail) would be $1,025 compared to $1,450 for the Defiance Deviant.

Basically for $435 more, the Deviant offers a integral rail and integral recoil lug that is 1/16" thicker than the Stiller recoil lug.

Personally I'd go for the Stiller. Unless there is good authority that a 1/16" thicker integral recoil lug confers actual benefits compared to a pinned recoil lug, I'd rather save $435 and screw in the rails myself. Also I like having the option of changing out the 20MOA rails for a 0MOA rail. IMO the Deviant is needlessly overbuilt, and it's price reflects that.

Let me know if I'm missing something.

pretty hard to argue for the deviant now as it seems over priced. I have both and they shoot the same, I got another stiller on the way though.
cheers.

Until you get fucked multiple times on a loose base on 3 different actions that were properly torqued and had thread locker. I won't own another action the the base and lug is not intergral. It's worth the extra to me.

DEVIANT hands down.