• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Can't Decide on Scope for NRL Hunter

Which scope would you use

• Mk5HD 5-25 PR2

Votes: 7 21.2%
  • NX8 4-32 MIL-XT

Votes: 7 21.2%
  • Razor LHT 4.5-22 XLR-2

Votes: 5 15.2%
  • Just use the Mk5HD 3.6-18 TMR

Votes: 2 6.1%
  • Make the extra weight of the XTR3 work

Votes: 9 27.3%
  • Other

Votes: 3 9.1%

• Total voters

Megalodong

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Mar 13, 2022
Denver
This will be 90% on a NRL Hunter bolt gun in 6.5cm and 10% hunting on a 30 cal magnum.

Scopes that I have currently:
Mk5HD 3.6-18 TMR
XTR3i 5.5-30 SCR2
EPL4 6-24 VHR

I've shot 3 matches with the Mk5 and was thinking I overall just wanted a little more, more mag, bigger objective lens, better reticle. Tried the Arken in one match and it was fine, but again just wanted more, better glass, etc.

I'm ok making NRLH weight with a scope right around 30 oz. Less would be better, and more would be possibly doable.

Was sold on the LHT but then figured if I had the oz available the Mk5HD 5-25 would probably be a better scope. Was sold on the Mk5 then realized the NX8 4-32 is basically the same weight.

I know that all of these options would probably be fine, but curious what others would do. If I get a new scope I would sell the Mk5 3.6-18, budget would be $2k for a new one and don't mind used.

Use the XTR-3i 5.5-30x56…. Great scope for the money. I have one, as well.

Or, look for a used Kahles K525i DLR model.

Personally, I haven’t been a Leupold fan for about 20 years. If I won one, or was given one, I’d sell it or trade it for something else.

Whichever one you like the reticle of the most. I’d say the mk5 and nx8 are generally considered about the same level of glass. Just decide what features/reticle you prefer. The LHT does only have 6 mil rev turrets, but it’d way lighter and still has a good reticle

I voted for the mark 5 pr2 more so cause of the reticle. I have a 5-25 with tmr but the pr2 is a better reticle, especially for hunting/ competition. But an nx8 wouldn't be a bad choice either, I like the mil XT reticle.

Reactions: Lumbeejake
The NX8's are on sale until tomorrow :)

Whichever one you like the reticle of the most. I’d say the mk5 and nx8 are generally considered about the same level of glass. Just decide what features/reticle you prefer.
I agree with this statement.
The LHT does only have 6 mil rev turrets, but it’d way lighter and still has a good reticle
LHT has 11.5 mils of travel when using the zero stop. My bad, I just realized you are talking about how many mils per rev, not how many mils of travel; however, the travel limit could be an issue, but likely not for NRL Hunter distances and modern cartridges.

Reactions: wpeach1912
I'm probably going to end up shooting some OH and some Factory. Getting parts in for my factory build from some BF sales, and think I am going to switch from the Bergara MG Lite to the Seekins PH2-NRL, which will change my weight budget a little. I may end up having to use the LHT.

If I still have the ~30 oz room, still no idea between the MK5HD and NX8. I've flip flopped on that a dozen times.

XTR3 will work on my OH gun.