• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Can't find it; action screw tension for CZ455VPT

TheGerman

Oberleutnant
Minuteman
  • Jan 25, 2010
    the Westside
    Finally got my stock back from Manners and wanted to put the rifle back together. Problem is, I can't find a source to reference how many in/lbs the action screws should be torqued to with this setup and stock?

Anyone know?

Wood and it shouldn't matter. Start low shoot a few groups torque up shoot some more groups or set it between 22-25 and save the ammo. I wouldn't go above 30 in either wood or composite.

My 452's shoot best in the 16-24 in/lbs range. I would start at 16 in/lbs and increase by 2 in/lbs until the accuracy trend shows itself. Starting low and working up I was able to see the accuracy improve as I increased the torque and then drop off as I kept increasing. Once you have it narrowed down within 2 in/lbs, go back and play up and down of that setting by 1 in/lb to be sure you are where you gun wants to be.

the manners stock does make a difference and cn handle more torque than the wood according to the tech i spoke with at cz usa. i originally went with the owners manual spec and it turned out to be a typo meant only for the manners stock. it stripped the wood stock on my 455 varmint and cz replaced it at no charge. they even offered to swap me a manners at only the difference in cost to them. the tech stated that for the wood stocks, the action screw torque should not exceed 25 in/lbs. i'd have to check, but i believe the manual stated 6nm (about 53 in/lb) which would be the max for the manners.

My manual says 6nm-- don't torque it that tight. It will push the bottom metal into the stock on the back screw where it is not pillar bedded. Ask me how I know. It does fine at about 24 in/lbs.

Can't find the original thread for this very same question but I believe the official spec from CZ was 33in lbs