• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

CANT FIND POWDER!

juice900

Private
Minuteman
Mar 13, 2020
Hello folks, As my 1st post to this forum I shall beat the dead horse senselessly i suspect with this question.
I live in northern Il, and as you can imagine the demand for slow burning magnum caliber smokeless powder is not that high in demand in my area. Im new to long range shooting and reloading. Ive spent the last year buying reloading equipment and supplies. Shooting season is coming fast and I've yet been able to purchase the powder I need.
Im attempting to load .338 Lapua and 7mm STW. From my research, I have my head set on H-1000 due to the climate i live in.
Where can I buy this from? everywhere I look is out of stock or on back order...If I order, my shipment eventually gets canceled due to the long wait from the distributor getting its stock in.
What do I do???

Welcome to reloading, this is the frustrating part of the deal. If I were you just look for something other than Hodgdon powder, it works great if you can find it. I've been testing substitutes for H1000 & Varget.

Reactions: juice900
Welcome to reloading, this is the frustrating part of the deal. If I were you just look for something other than Hodgdon powder, it works great if you can find it. I've been testing substitutes for H1000 & Varget.

Any suggestions as a similar powder?

Im sure everybody has a copy of Hornady's Tenth edition...page 671 is the data im trying to replicate until i can understand my own data I'll collect.

Hodgdon is probably the best for temperature stability, but for 338LM N570(hard to find also) US869, Magpro and a few others. Check out this chart for similar burn rates. Hate to be so negative about it, but Hodgdon has been having supply issue's lately and I've had H1000 back-ordered for quite a while. Now with the current state affairs we'll be lucky to find anything at all shortly.

Attachments

• 2019 Hodgdon Burn Rate Chart.pdf
    417.7 KB · Views: 63
Reactions: juice900
Hodgdon is probably the best for temperature stability, but for 338LM N570(hard to find also) US869, Magpro and a few others. Check out this chart for similar burn rates. Hate to be so negative about it, but Hodgdon has been having supply issue's lately and I've had H1000 back-ordered for quite a while. Now with the current state affairs we'll be lucky to find anything at all shortly.

Thank you, Ill see if I can figure something out from chart.

Try the smaller mom and pop shops. I looked in four different states for H-1000 and finally stopped by a small shop in Colorado and the had an eight pound jug sitting on the shelf. Next time it’s available I’m buying a bunch.

I have some IMR 7977 for when I run out of H-1000.

H-1000 is 141 on the burn chart and the IMR is 140.

Reactions: Eddystone
I'm flush with powder and primers, but it was all bought before all of this bullshit started, which is what everyone should have been doing all along. There has never been a question of if there would be another panic buy, only when it would happen. You snoozed, you lost.

Reactions: lash
I've been buying all along in quantity but when you actually shoot a bunch you still run out. With the supply issues with Hodgdon I'm running low on H1000 & Varget. I have substitute powders but saving my "precious" for National level comps, it would be ideal to train & do local match's with the same load. I don't think the supply ever caught up since the last shortage, more was available but not with out searching & waiting.

Reactions: lash
I started a couple months ago looking for H1000 and RL26 for 300WM. Hit a gun show and picked up some RL23 and IMR 7977. I found a kickass load with Accurate 4350, so I am not tinkering with anything else at the moment because I have 8lbs of it! IMR 7977 is a tad faster burning than H1000. If you want to drive 2hrs I'll sell you that IMR 7977 1lb can. I'll put it in the mailbox. lol

Make a list of all your local business that sell reloading equipment and visit as often as you can, alot places get shipments in and sellout before they get a chance to advertise online or on social media.
Varget for example is what I use on my 6.5x47L and hasn't been in stock online for months but I keep finding small to reasonable amounts locally.
Just buy what you can when you can.

Make a list of all your local business that sell reloading equipment and visit as often as you can, alot places get shipments in and sellout before they get a chance to advertise online or on social media.
Varget for example is what I use on my 6.5x47L and hasn't been in stock online for months but I keep finding small to reasonable amounts locally.
Just buy what you can when you can.

Oh dood. You just missed 800 some 8lb kegs from Powdervalley!

Reactions: longgunJR
They’re showing H1000 as well!
Get spendin folks!
DA5FC755-3531-4B0F-9C83-4D01B407CF3F.gif

Last edited:
Dang it! I missed the H1000 by minutes! Gawd that’s frustrating. Been waiting for a year.

I would probably Venmo somebody 10 Bucks if they found me an 8 pound keg before it went out of stock ?

I’m sitting on enough R26 to kill my current 7 saum barrel and kill the barrel I have ordered.
My 260 is good for powder and I have plenty for pistol and 223.
Obama taught me a valuable lesson.

My lesson was learned during the AWB back in the day.

Reactions: Steel head