• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Can't Get AR-15 Ejector Back In

Phil3

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 13, 2008
San Ramon, CA
I took apart my AR-15 bolt and am stuck trying to get the ejector plunger, plunger spring, and retaining roll pin back together. I am using this Sinclair device to aid me.

Sinclair AR-15 Bolt Vise | Sinclair Intl

The screw pushes in on the ejector and spring, compressing them and holding in place while the roll pin is driven through. The problem is that when the screw bottoms out on the bolt face and ejector, you can still see part of the ejector in the roll pin hole, making insertion of the roll pin impossible. Apparently, the ejector sits a bit below the bolt face on this Young Manufacturing bolt. It does not appear there is any way to safely hold the ejector down and get the roll pin in. What am I missing?

Phil

Get the roll pin started, insert the spring and ejector into the hole (make sure to clock the ejector), place the assembly into the bolt tool compressing the spring, drive the pin home. If you have a pin punch similar to the size of the roll pin hole try to insert that to get it all lined up before driving the pin home.

Last edited:
Get the roll pin started, insert the spring and ejector into the hole (make sure to clock the ejector), place the assembly into the bolt tool compressing the spring, drive the pin home. If you have a pin punch similar to the size of the roll pin hole try to insert that to get it all lined up before driving the pin home.

Thanks for your reply. May I ask what do you mean by "clock the ejector"? My pin punch is .059". The roll pin is .060". It is not possible to get the punch to go through the hole. You can see a portion of the ejector in the hole. Not much, but enough apparently to block passage of the punch, much less the pin. I can fit a paperclip through the hole, but not the thicker punch.

Phil

Is it possible that the ejector went into it's hole wrong end first?

Give me credit for the courage to answer your question with "YES". Courage to say I was incredibly dumb. For some inexplicable reason, I saw that little hook on the end of the ejector plunger and kept thinking extractor, even though I just removed the extractor. Man, I must be going senile. Sorry for wasting everyone's time.

Phil

Phil,
I always have more respect (by miles) for someone willing to admit mistakes rather than act like they didn't make one. We ALL make mistakes, so no big deal there. I usually wonder how the part used to fit for a while before figuring out it is bacjwards, or in the wrong spot. Just about the time I figure things out, I loose it on the shop floor...

I have a couple of AR small parts still lost in the garage, after being launched by some spring I forgot about. I wear safety glasses now, in case some part decides to take aim.

Phil