• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report Can't get the program shooter to calculate density altitude

flyboy

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 31, 2008
State College, PA
So it was 50* out two days ago when I went to the range. I set up like always and just for grins decided to wing it and guess what my drop was gonna be for 1000 in these conditions. I added a bit to my last dope witch was for 78* and big miss. Oh well. I pull out my phone and start trying to get accurate numbers out of it but for the life of me it would not give me an accurate DA. " I know this being a pilot and my alt was around 1500 and temps were below standard" but the calculator kept giving me 3000+. I'm obviously missing something as it's worked flawlessly in the past. Any help would be greatly appropriated.

My first advice if you can would be to get a Kestrel with applied ballistics, for me it has been dead nuts accurate. Did you try and shoot with DA you came up with, or just discount it as wrong?

Flyboy I've had the same problem the last week, Phones not able to update current weather conditions.
Just called a buddy who has shooter on Android also but different phone and his isn't updating also.

Double checked that I have auto updates selected and I do.

Anybody else with Shooter can you please check it out and see if yours is working or not just to make sure that its not some localized problem.

I am having the same problem with Ballistic AE

ETA: I just changed my settings to give me meteorological info. It only gives me barometric. It says it can't give temp, altitude, or humidity. I wonder if the weather station it is pulling from isn't giving the information out.

ETA: I just changed it from pulling from the NMI sites to the NOAA sites and it works for both meteorological and Density Altitude. I agree with Shoottothrill and would rather get the information from my kestrel

Last edited:
Same problem with shooter. Emailed the author, but have little hope for a response.

Grabs weather data from Weather Underground which is working fine here in AL.

I use it with my Kestrel at matches but at my local range which is in town and pulling conditions from about a mile away, I just have it auto populate the DA and conditions.
Something has changed that's affected the program and really needs to be updated.

BTW if you email Sean be sure to put "NOT FAQ" in the subject line or you will get an automated response.

Last edited:
I am having the same problem with Ballistic AE

ETA: I just changed my settings to give me meteorological info. It only gives me barometric. It says it can't give temp, altitude, or humidity. I wonder if the weather station it is pulling from isn't giving the information out.

ETA: I just changed it from pulling from the NMI sites to the NOAA sites and it works for both meteorological and Density Altitude. I agree with Shoottothrill and would rather get the information from my kestrel

BB98 - where can you alter the source in Ballistic AE? I'm with the others, I found out my phone wouldn't pull for the local weather station this past weekend...at a match. Scramble for the Kestrel!

ETA: Updated to NOAA in App settings - technology...

Last edited:
BB98 - where can you alter the source in Ballistic AE? I'm with the others, I found out my phone wouldn't pull for the local weather station this past weekend...at a match. Scramble for the Kestrel!

In iphone go to settings. Scroll down to Ballistic AE. Click on it and down at the very bottom under Core location, You have the option of changing the Weather Service. It has NMI (not working), NOAA, and GeoNames (don't know what that is). I chose NOAA. Also in the third group of choices, Units of Measurement, you find Atmosphere where you can change from meteorological to DA and so forth.

ETA: Updated to NOAA in App settings - technology...

Got no option for NOAA. You using iPhone?

Emailed him again with a link to this thread.

Maybe he will wake up and fix it.

I'm having the same problem on my iphone. What's his email and I'll send him a message as well.

He won't respond. I have emailed him 3 times. Several people can't get their profiles to sync either

Well shit! A fool and his money I guess.

Should have bought Ballistic AE I guess. At least Litz responds to email.

RMD

RMD
True, it has worked for 4 plus years with no issues until I changed to the new S5. So far Shooter has been good for me out to a mile, so no complaints for me

RMD

Litz is applied ballistics.
zdziarski is ballistic AE. Applied ballistics was just released to iphone.

Litz is applied ballistics.
zdziarski is ballistic AE. Applied ballistics was just released to iphone.

Yes.

Thanks for the correction, I stand corrected.

Trying to juggle three things all at once today and managing to screw all three up.

Old age is catching up with me.

I just saw this and tried mine out on Android. It says failed to update weather data so it looks like there is a bug. I'm trying to remember when I last updated it since most likely it is an update issue. I had an issue with the app a few months back and emailed the programmer. I did get a very quick response back and the app was updated within a couple weeks that fixed the issue I had. AE looks like a great program as well but I'm not quitting on Shooter just yet. I'll wait to see if it gets fixed.

No response to date from this guy.

Great support.

I do not recall seeing an update pop thru that might have caused this problem. Anyone else see one?

Same, no response. I emailed and messaged him.

I have automatic updates turned on so I don't know if anything updated or not as it does it whenever it wants.

Getting close to backing up my profiles again and deleting it and doing a new install to see if it changes anything.
I do have a friend local to me that's on Android and Verizon and his was having the same problem but he didn't have automatic updates turned on so he updated his and it seems to be working.

If anyone goes this route do be sure to sync from device to web so that all your profiles are saved.

Same, no response. I emailed and messaged him.

I have automatic updates turned on so I don't know if anything updated or not as it does it whenever it wants.

Getting close to backing up my profiles again and deleting it and doing a new install to see if it changes anything.
I do have a friend local to me that's on Android and Verizon and his was having the same problem but he didn't have automatic updates turned on so he updated his and it seems to be working.

If anyone goes this route do be sure to sync from device to web so that all your profiles are saved.

Don't bother.

Tried that and it still will not pull Wx data.

There is an Android app that I found called "Density Altitude" (V1.3) that will grab your location from the GPS, and give you a choice of airports to get a DA calculation from.

I just changed Shooter to use DA and input the temp shown by the Density Altitude app to get a solution.

Might want to give it a try. At least it will keep us shooting.

I always input conditions I get off my Kestrel. Why do you guys use DA, and not Altitude and Baro?

Just seemed like when I looked at DA on my Kestrel, it was jumping around a little. Just watch it for a few seconds and use an average maybe?

Update on my why my friends Shooter app still works. He has the old version on shooter and has updates turned off on it, So its the version where the screens don't slide.
He had issues with it not populating DA but updated some other Apps manually including Google Maps then it started working again.
Angry birds was one of the apps he updated too, so maybe that's the key to the problem lol.....

Thanks for posting that other thread Traav.

Well, it's a miracle!

Mine wasn't working yesterday morning; this morning it is.

Good!

Had the same issue this weekend, it also wouldn't pick up the Automatic Atmosphere...that's why I always have my Kestrel. Turn off the Auto Atmosphere and populate the Kestrel data. Was at a match in the boonies and couldn't get Auto Atmosphere there either....Kestrel saved me. I also carry Density Calculator card. Got mine from Triad Tactical but they are available quite a few places. One is none and two is one...so to speak. Kestrel DA will move around but eventually settles into a range. 25 feet or so of DA variance is not going to matter...

This program seams to be plagued with problems from the new iPhone conversion. Now I can't load bullet data in the program. Am I the only one dealing with this?

This program seams to be plagued with problems from the new iPhone conversion. Now I can't load bullet data in the program. Am I the only one dealing with this?

No. Mine seemed to be working Saturday. Today, I tried to work with the options and I can't get to the bullet input. It bounces back to the main phone screen.

Trying iOs update now.

My phone is up to date and is still throwing me out when I try to add a bullet from the library.

I believe my problem is that I have the iPhone 4 and iOS 8 hasn't been pushed out for it yet and shooter sent out an update that doesn't work with iOS 7. Just my luck.