• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Can't make an accurate hand load to save my life

Garret Olson

Private
Minuteman
Aug 26, 2017
Does anyone know why hand loads are not always accurate. So first off I have a Ruger Rrecision Rifle that I installed a proof research barrel in 6.5 Creedmoor on. Not sure whats going on, I am running 210M primers, IMR 4350 (since h4350 is pretty much impossible to find), 41.5 grains of powder, 140 berger hybrid. Can only get 2 moa groups at best. This is weird because expensive factory ammo works great (1/2 moa). I originally started out with the 147 grain eld match hornady bullets, but they where worse, so after I figured that 147 grain was meant for 1:8.5 twist I went to 140 grain bergers, which where meant for 1:8 twist which is what I have, so I thought I fixed the problem but I didn't. I am not sure whats going on, I am a new reloader and could be doing something wrong. All I could think of is inconsistent powder measurements or wrong powder amount. The problem is not me being able to not shoot, I can get half moa pretty easy. If anyone knows, it would be much appreciated. Thanks.

So you're pretty much asking how a watch works.

We need to get your problem down to specifics and start changing variables one at a time

So far:

- You tested your rifle with known factory ammo and everything was fine, so that removes scope being loose, action being loose, etc.

- IMR 4350 I believe is different enough as far as burn rate to where it may not be good for 6.5CM (otherwise everyone would but IMR or Hodgen, not just Hodgen) but how different, I am not 100% sure of. I think this may be part of the problem however.

- Have you chrono'd your handloads? It would help to see if your poor accuracy is from the round itself not working well with the barrel, or if your S/D and ES are all over the place, putting the issue on your handloading technique and process.

- What brass do you use; how is it prepped and sized? Is it all from the same brand and lot?

- When you size brass, are you FL sizing, neck sizing; are you bumping your shoulder to a specific measurement?

- How did you determine what depth to seat your bullets at?

- How/with what are you measuring power?

I think besides those specifics, run me through your loading process from the beginning tumble, to the end and maybe I / we can find something that sticks out.

I know a few guys running IMR 4350 quite successfully.

German asked some important questions that you'll need to answer if we are to have even a chance to try and help you.

I'll add; how did you arrive at 41.5 grains of powder? Did you do a load work up?

Load development is a methodical process that requires testing to verify what works best in your rifle. Things like correct charge, correct headspace, and cartridge length make a difference.

I couldn't agree more with the previous posts. So many variables that we would need more info to start to help. 1st, and most important question was asked, how did you arrive at your current load? Let's start there.

Page 538 of 1st Edition Berger Bullets Reloading manual doesn't list IMR 4350, it does list H4350. I have never used 4350, but I have seen very different results between H4895 and I4895 in the same gun; just saying. (Berger lists a max charge weight for H4350 at 40.7 grains.)

The Hodgdon reloading center page lists loads of a 140 Amax bullet, and the max load it provides with IMR 4350 is compressed at 41.0 grains. With an extra .5 gr of powder crammed in there, I have to ask what do the primers look like? Are they flattened and/or cratered?

Finally, echoing TheGerman , how are you measuring your charges? I throw a light load and then trickle to the desired charge weight on a beam scale. If you are just throwing directly into a case, you'll never get a consistent charge with stick powder. His suggestion of detailing your procedeures will help us understand where the weak link may be.

I know a few guys running IMR 4350 quite successfully.

German asked some important questions that you'll need to answer if we are to have even a chance to try and help you.

I'll add; how did you arrive at 41.5 grains of powder? Did you do a load work up?

Load development is a methodical process that requires testing to verify what works best in your rifle. Things like correct charge, correct headspace, and cartridge length make a difference.

I have great results with IMR 4350 and Nosler RDF 140gn. Acutally perform better in my rifle than H4350 with ELDM bullets.

Yes yes yes. Do as he suggests if you didn't. Did you just pick 41.5gr and run with it expecting good results? I had great results with IMR 4350 for a couple of years in my RPR with the stock barrel running the 140ELDs at 2750fps, Hornady brass, CCI primers and after doing the OCW landed at 42.7 of the IMR 4350. never experienced the temp sensitive issues that it is supposted to have and that was 20degree to 90 degree days when I was shooting. I did see good size velocity swings from batch to batch though.

Lots of good advice. What is the ammo and bullet in the factory ammo? When you can replicate the results with the factory ammo then you will be on the right track. After you get that then you can play with components.