• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns cant make up my mind glock or 1911

DeadNoise

Legend
Supporter
Minuteman
Apr 25, 2008
Nevada
looking to pick up a new sidearm, lookin into a 1911 or a glock 40. any recommendations?

Re: cant make up my mind glock or 1911

hmmm well since everyone should own at least one of both of those, flip a quarter for which one first

I agree with VJJ, you need both. personally I have a couple of 1911's and 2 Glock 21SF's , don't have any 40 cal, trying to limit the number of calibers I have to stock up on,

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DeadNoise</div><div class="ubbcode-body">looking to pick up a new sidearm, lookin into a 1911 or a glock 40. any recommendations? </div></div>

Shoot both weapons at the same range session to help you decide. There's nothing quite like a quality 1911! Just my 2 cents.
smile.gif

The two handle and perform very differently. I'm guessing that you have very little time on both.

Glocks are best in 9mm's. 1911's are best in .45acp, 5" long, steel framed, with a bushing barrel.

Do you want a large, somewhat heavy, 8 round .45acp? Or a 15-17 round polymer (lighter weight) pistol without the trigger that the 1911 has?

The two are so different that you alone will have to decide which you want to carry.

yes i dont have much time around them, few buddies have them and ive shot them a few times but not alot. prolly leaning towards the glock in 9mm

I do not like Glocks for a few reasons - the greatest of which is the grip doesn't fit my hand very well. The frame also flexes bad enough to annoy me. I see more failures in Glocks at my range but I think due to the price point there are more Glock owners who don't maintain their guns or clean their mags ever.

If this will be a bedside gun, i strongly recommend the 1911 due to the external safety. You can easily grab the trigger in the dark when sleepy and excited by a startling noise.

1911's are heavier. Although same are made in 9, most are .45.

There is nothing wrong with either - but if you can afford $600 for a 1911of decent quality you will not be dissapointed. Just stay away from the really cheap ones.

As a person who went with the 1911 first I would recommend handling, dryfiring both, even test firing if you can. I cant shoot glocks worth anything, my hands are too small. I went with the 1911 first, now I see the need for a smaller polymer gun. If you want a ultra reliable plastic gun you dont have to get a glock. The m&ps are very similar to 1911s, grip angle is identical, interchangeable grip sizes, much more ergonomic than glocks.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JoeyT1833</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Plastic is for toys </div></div>

I think STI and SVI would disagree with you!

My two EDC weapons are a Sig 1911 Compact and a M&P 357c. I usually carry the 1911 because of the way it handles and feels in my hands. I have smaller hands so a Glock does not fit me well. Not going to say that I don't like the Glock because I still own 5 of them. Train and use what you are going to carry. Know the controls and practice with them so that you are comfortable with them and can use them proficiently. The 1911 and the M&P have them better ergonomics. They are close to the same grip but you cannot really compare the triggers. What works for me, may not work for you. Go to a range or borrow a weapon and see what you feel comfortable with. Sig makes a great 1911 for the money.

DSCF6403.jpg

Why limit yourself to these two? Go to the range and rent a Sig 226 and see if it fits your needs and desires.

"looking to pick up a new sidearm, lookin into a 1911 or a glock 40. any recommendations?"

After you pick it up how often will you be putting it down?

The Glock will beat the 1911 in the reasonable quality to price game.

You'll likely need to spend $1100-$1750 to get a 1911 that is a better pistol. Outside of a Sig1911 but I don't really consider them because of the SIG-styling ques.

I like 1911's and I like Glocks, but that's how it gets to brass tacks in this argument IMHO.

I got both, Glocks 19 & 23 would be last to go. Like my Kimbers but not as much as the Glocks.

You'll spend alot more money on a 1911 to get it as reliable as a Glock. Fwiw I love 1911's; had my share of Wilson's, they are very accurate and reliable but cost over 4x the Glock.

What are you going to do with it?
Do you like modern or classic?
Would you rather have a brand new Honda or a 55 Chevy?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Miles2go</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What are you going to do with it?
Do you like modern or classic?
Would you rather have a brand new Honda or a 55 Chevy? </div></div>

We think nearly alike, 'cept my thoughts were Raquel Welch or Pamela Anderson

Raquel Welch, if I could not have both. But, since you can have a 1911 and a Glock, get both!

Raquel Welsh, she doesnt have Hep.

To the OP. Do you plan to carry, HD, TP, competition, or just a safe queen? I love the 1911, want to get another. It is by far, the most comfortable and accurate .45 I have ever shot. Nothing ever felt more natual to point and shoot. The Glock is not uncomfortable, and the Gen 4s are a bit more ergonomical. I prefer capacity in a carry gun. A fully loaded Glock 21 13+1 (.45) actually weighs about 3 oz less than a fully loaded 1911 7+1. You get nearly 2 times the ammo for about the same weight. The 1911 is slimmer, and I know, there are many barrel lengths and configurations, but Glock has more options. Its an "either or" choice and neither is a bad one. I would take both if it were up to me. But if I could only pick one.....it would be a Glock. They have the options and their track record speaks for itself. As for the cost diff....You can pick up a decent 1911 for $400-500. About the same as a glock. A set of night sights and no other bells n whistles, and you are on equal terms. Wilson Combat, Kimber, and STI arent the only ones who make 1911s. In fact, my friend swears by his Springfield Armory GI. He added night sights and a new grip, putting him under $600, minus extra mags for duty. I asked him why not a Kimber? (just pulled a maker out of the air) and he said they are nice guns, but the price of one reflects way too much unneccessary pride.

Hold em both, shoot em both, weight your needs and wants.

Oh, btw, the G22 (.40) holds 15+1 and the G23 holds 13+1. You can also use the G22 mags in the smaller 24 n 27. Just FYI.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: desertrat1979</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
You can pick up a decent 1911 for $400-500. About the same as a glock. A set of night sights and no other bells n whistles, and you are on equal terms. </div></div>
I hope your joking! Then again it depends on what your terms are; I guess as long as reliability isn't one of them!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: desertrat1979</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Raquel Welsh, she doesnt have Hep.

To the OP. Do you plan to carry, HD, TP, competition, or just a safe queen? I love the 1911, want to get another. It is by far, the most comfortable and accurate .45 I have ever shot. Nothing ever felt more natual to point and shoot. The Glock is not uncomfortable, and the Gen 4s are a bit more ergonomical. I prefer capacity in a carry gun. A fully loaded Glock 21 13+1 (.45) actually weighs about 3 oz less than a fully loaded 1911 7+1. You get nearly 2 times the ammo for about the same weight. The 1911 is slimmer, and I know, there are many barrel lengths and configurations, but Glock has more options. Its an "either or" choice and neither is a bad one. I would take both if it were up to me. But if I could only pick one.....it would be a Glock. They have the options and their track record speaks for itself. As for the cost diff....You can pick up a decent 1911 for $400-500. About the same as a glock. A set of night sights and no other bells n whistles, and you are on equal terms. Wilson Combat, Kimber, and STI arent the only ones who make 1911s. In fact, my friend swears by his Springfield Armory GI. He added night sights and a new grip, putting him under $600, minus extra mags for duty. I asked him why not a Kimber? (just pulled a maker out of the air) and he said they are nice guns, but the price of one reflects way too much unneccessary pride.

Hold em both, shoot em both, weight your needs and wants.

Oh, btw, the G22 (.40) holds 15+1 and the G23 holds 13+1. You can also use the G22 mags in the smaller 24 n 27. Just FYI. </div></div>

G24 actually is the same frame size as the 22(and uses the same mags). 27 is shorter though, so a 22 mag will stick out the bottom.
smile.gif

If you're going to treat your gun like you treat your lawn mower, get a Glock. Think that is a Larry Vickers quote.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Turk</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: desertrat1979</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
You can pick up a decent 1911 for $400-500. About the same as a glock. A set of night sights and no other bells n whistles, and you are on equal terms. </div></div>
I hope your joking! Then again it depends on what your terms are; I guess as long as reliability isn't one of them!</div></div>

You can get a base Rock Island Armory 1911 for prices for under $400. I know a lot of people that do 1911 builds using this pistol as a foundation specifically because of reliability. A set of nite-sites is not really that expensive, neither are decent grips. Put a match bushing on to tighten it up and thats it. If you want to get into triggers, hammers, beavertails, and fancy coatings, sure then you get past the cost of a glock. Its all those little parts and stuff that do improve, but arent needed for the pistol to run. So, no, I see no issues with going that route, and reliability is not an issue.

You really should shoot both and then decide. Determine the roll of the pistol and after shooting both decide which will work better and which your most comfortable with. Glocks are super reliable and almost always go bang. They r also simpler to operate. Don't get me wrong as I love a 1911, especially the Colt series 70 Gov't. a classic. However, the 1911 will be heavier as a carry piece and if not properly tuned, can cause headaches with reliability. I've owned several custom 1911 carry and competition pieces and they all ran great, but 1911's at this level r expensive. Off the shelf 1911's in the same price range as a Glock can b a crap shoot as far as reliability. Example- http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=3261063&page=1

If you r looking for a super reliable defensive pistol that is simpler to operate, grab a Glock. We have the new Gen4 G22 and G27 at work and they have been great and well received. Hope this helps.

My wife wanted a glock until I made her shoot a 1911. She now thinks glocks are garbage.

Just get ready for a callous on your thumb with the 1911....a price to pay

get the glock first then get a good 1911, everybody should have one of each, at least.

i have 3 glocks and 3 1911's... can't help ya. my three glocks combined are worth about 1500 bucks i don't even have 1 1911 that is worth that little.. and sadly i shoot my glocks more since they are my 9mm's.

i do have 1 lone sig...

they both serve a purpose. i love my 1911's and if i had to be in a fight i would want one of my 45's. Sadly though i shoot my 9mm's (glocks and sig) much more then my 45's simply due to ammo being cheaper.

Have had Glock's for years. Thought I hated them, until I owned one. Always thought I wanted a 1911, until I shot one. Now I know I do. So instead of which one, which one first? I love my Glocks reliability, love a 1911 trigger and the way it points.
Eric

I have both. I like to carry my glock 27 but my full size 1911 is more fun to shoot.

If for CC, think about the Glock unless you want an aluminum 1911. I tried carrying a Compact Stainless & a Custom Compact (both are officer frame, 4" bull bbl). Both were very heavy; heavy enough for me to not want to carry for extended periods(8 hours or more).

Last week I bought my first polymer pistol, Glock 19 Gen 3. Still haven't shot it yet, still haven't shot a Glock. May not even keep it. But, even with 15rds of 147 gr. HP's, I'm quite positive it will be MUCH lighter than the 1911.

However, I may decide to sell/trade towards a Kimber CDP or Crimson Carry. Something in a 3" bbl, aluminum frame might be the key to comfortably carry the 1911.....for me. Many others will CC a full-size 1911 and call you a pussy if it's too heavy for you, but I'm not buying a new wardrobe to fit 1 pistol. I can find a different pistol. And I'm 6'2" 325 lbs.(hide it well).

Another thought:

In a defensive roll, the modern 1911 may not be the best defensive weapon. The likelyhood of FTF's/FTE's in a defensive situation are greatly increased due to:

-Rushed shots
-Shooting from cover
-Poor grip, or off-hand shooting
-Limp wristing
-Cheap mags

These can all negatively affect the feeding of the modern 1911 as nearly all are built to very tight specs; relative to the mil-spec fitting of the war-time production 1911.

If you are shooting from cover, have an awkward grip, or shooting off-hand, the 1911 will be the most suceptable to FTF/FTE's. I don't know what the best would be, accept for a revolver, but a Glock will have to be limp-wristed much more than the 1911 to cause feeding problems.

Just something to consider when thinking of a 1911 in a defensive roll.

I'm no expert SWAT ninja secret squirrel assassin. I just carry a gun for a living as a deputy. My advice for what it's worth, is to shoot every worthwhile pistol you can get your hands on. Find what YOU like and can shoot, not what's the latest and coolest. I shoot just fine with my Gen 4 Glock 22 but it eats my hand up and feels kind of like a 2x4 with a trigger. I love the feel of a 1911 and shoot just fine with them. 1911s are not 100% perfect, but neither are Glocks. I have both and they're both reliable when they're fed the right ammo and I do trust both of them. Right now the most reliable pistol I own is an old S&W 4046 I was issued in '96. That damn thing has never jammed, it eats whatever I cram in the mags. Good luck in your search.

Get an amalgamation of both in RR arms polymer framed 1911.

Seriously though, get the G22, 23 or 27 (perhaps even the G35) and have fun. Save up for a good 1911.

If it were me, I'd dump the 40 SW idea for a 9mm...but its not. If you have your heart set on the 40, more power to you.

How about a Les Bear, 1911?

Last edited:

hey guys, first post here but maybe I can offer some insight....go to a range where you can shoot almost everything. Shoot a Glock, an SW M&P, an HK P30 or p2000, and a 1911. No one says you have to have just one gun. Start with one and go from there. If you're looking for absolute satisfaction now, get the Glock. Save your nickels for a 1911 and don't buy a cheap one. I buy at least one handgun a year and have all of the above if you need any help. On a side note, been lurking on the site for a while now, decided to register and leave some input. You guys seem very helpful on every topic that is gun related. Two thumbs up

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: km71107</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Right now the most reliable pistol I own is an old S&W 4046 I was issued in '96. That damn thing has never jammed, it eats whatever I cram in the mags. Good luck in your search. </div></div>

+1,000!!

I forgot all about S&W Gen 3 Autos! My 3913 NEVER has problems, shoots great, and has that Gen2 Glock reliability!

Which do you shoot better? That's the real question. I can't shoot the larger glocks worth a damn. I've shot a 1911 only a few times and every time was a glorious moment. Yes it's big, heavy, old, finicky(when compared to a polymer pistol) BUT what good is a reliable poly gun if you can't hit anything with it?

Personally, I'd rather choose a heavy gun that holds less rounds (1911, Hi Power, CZ, ect) that I can hit my target with than blast off twice as many rounds into the dirt.

I have 2 1911s and don't care for glocks. My buddy has 2 glocks and doesn't care for 1911s. The two guns are night and day. It would depend on the intended purpose. I have small hands and a fairly small frame, so the 1911 is easier for me to conceal and shoot. If I need more than 7+1 in a self defense situation than something went terribly wrong. Glock does make single stacks, but then why not just get a 1911? YMMV.

Get a Glock 19 for concealed carry. The best gun that is good for both carry yet still fun to shoot. Then get a SA TRP. Now you have the best of both worlds.

Glock 19. gen 3 not the new gen 4 crap. Then shoot the piss out of it with the money you saved by not buying a 1911.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BLAKSUNZ</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Which do you shoot better? That's the real question. I can't shoot the larger glocks worth a damn. I've shot a 1911 only a few times and every time was a glorious moment. Yes it's big, heavy, old, finicky(when compared to a polymer pistol) BUT what good is a reliable poly gun if you can't hit anything with it? </div></div>

You either shot a shitty 1911 or you used shitty mags. Quality 1911s don't care what you run through them unless you're using garbage magazines.

I own a Baer TRS and a G21 (and several other GLOCKs). Neither have ever failed me over thousands and thousands of rounds each. You can't go wrong with either, but if I had to start anew, I'd go GLOCK first and 1911 second...just like I did the first time.
smile.gif

First handgun? Buy a Glock in 9mm. It will feed, it will fire, and last time I shot 9mm I paid about 30 cents a round

Having said that I just purchased my first handgun and I got a Remington 1911. Here's why:

I like .45 ACP, I like big guns, I've shot a lot, I like heavy bullets. 9mm in my opinion doesn't stop them fast enough. And I'd rather have 8-9 rounds and stop them in one than 15 and stop them in 3.

I like the "cocked and locked" carry style.

I like the hammer fire, growing up with revolver and lever guns I never really felt comfortable with striker fire designs.

I like the thumb safety, an, while I have trouble with many of the grip safeties, I do fine with the extended ones.

I like the big metal frames, it's a comforting weight to have, you know what you've got.

I like to take things apart and make them better, and with the plethora of upgrades and modifications available for the 1911 I'm going to be tinkering for a good long while.

Having said all that, I think that the Glock is a better choice, but when you just love something and you have to have it, don't settle.

As much as I like the look and feel(and the lore)of the 1911, I do not understand the love for the thumb safety. I do not want to have to manipulate anymore devises, levers, or controls than I have to. Get the Glock.

I have owned quite a few 1911's and quite a few Glocks.

I only own Glocks now. Lots to love about 1911's, but the Glock is just a better weapon.

Whats that saying?.... You show your 1911 to your friends, and your Glock to your enemies.

Glock 30. 10 rounds of 45 acp. Compact for concealed carry. Very accurate and soft shooting . Easy follow up shots. Not terribly expensive.

+1 on having both. If Im going to have both, I like the glock 19 for 9mm and of course the 1911 for 45. if had to choose only one, i'm a 1911 man thru and thru