• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns cant make up my mind glock or 1911

Re: cant make up my mind glock or 1911

Have owned Sig, Colts, Springfield,Remington, and a few other 1911's. With that said I like Ed Browns 1911 the best, fitted in a Del Fatti holster. I'm not a fan of the Ambi safety.

I do not like Glocks because they don't feel very good in my hand. Also, I'm able to pick up the sights quicker on a 1911 then a Glock.

Be aware of the man with just one gun.

Just my opinion.

Every man should have two of each..Both tools of different types..
I like both. Shoot both and see how they fit your hand, shooting style and results on target. Do an honest apples to apples comparison. dont compare a Glock 27 to five govt model.

The 1911 will get heavy a lot quicker. the trigger and ergonomics will not get any better. The Glock still feels light on the hip 12 hours later and with practice can out shoot most shooters. Glocks are as reliable as a sun dial..and they dont rust when carried next to body in the summer time.

Of all the pistols I've owned, shot and carried there's only been one to hang up or malfunction, the 1911, custom or factory, didnt matter. Of every pistol I now own and shoot, the 1911 is still the one that has hung up a few times. Out of all the Glocks I've shot/carried/trained with, none have hung up, ever. I have 3-Glocks and 1-1911

Get a 1911 but, get a Glock as well.

A 1911 Is my favorite pistol hand down, that being said I carry a glock 23 daily and my comp gun is a glock 35. A 1911 is a bad ass pistol, everyone needs one. For me 20rds in my comp gun vs 8-10 in my 1911 is a no brainer and IMO the 23 is one of the best carry pieces u can buy. I'm not knocking the 1911 in any way believe me, I'm looking for another as I type. It all comes down to what u want to spend. The 1911 and Glock will both do the same job so flip a coin.

I carried a colt 1911 gunmint while on duty with 1st special forces group from 83' to 85'
In 1985 while in beirut lebanon, i had a clear shot down a hallway on a bad mofo, lined up sights, clean kill.
in the heat of combat i forgot to slide safety off.
shocked.gif

Luckily another one of my squad got the fucker when he exited the building into a courtyard.

I was no slouch mind you, I trained with Mossad and SAS, and was considered a pro.
I carried 24/7 as our unit was a fast reaction force and had to be in certain places within 24 hours.

I had Thousands of hours CQB training, tire houses, etc.

No excuse. I did have to buy beers afterwards.

I went to a sig 226 for a while until in 1987 glock came out with the model 17.

I loved the absolute simplicity of the design, it was fumble proof with a capital "F"

I carried one in LA for years, deploying the weapon system successfully when called to do so.

I love a good 1911, especially the springfield Operator and the like. Love the trigger, the feel, the look.

But I carry (2) glock 23s as my CCW guns along with (1) S&W snubby .38

All three of these weapon systems require only one thing the deploy them, mindset.

If you are in love with 1911s, no one can tell you why your in love, you just know it. Get one or two and train with them until they become an extention of your hand. Wear them around the house, practice clearing the upstairs when the wife and kids are gone, whatever.

Just make dropping the safety as natural as pointing it.

my .02

If you really want a 1911 go for it. You can always grab a used Glock for less that 400 depending where you are. My price might be a little high considering I'm in California. I had the stupid hump hacked off mine though. (small hands)

Man I bought a rock island commander 1911 for like 400 bucks or something as a gun for work I'm a well driller and always seem to be working in bfe with a lot of strange cracked out people comin around but any how I love it I have a glock,xd,sti 9mm, pk380 llama 1911 wich is a pos and some others but I always grab the rock islad I love the way it shoots.I don't mind abussing cause of the affordability I put some vz grips on her and its now like my wallet and goes every were with me a bit heavy though 1911 for sure but shoot them bolth and figure out what ur gonna use it for and what fits you most in comfort and practically

Handguns are about feel and reliability.

Major grip difference between the two. Never liked glocks growing up on the 1911. They are an "aquired taste" to shoot good.

However, to me the best feeling, shooting and handling gun right now is the Smith and Wesson M&P. Try it in your hand.

Mine are 100% reliable, accurate and will run with any 1911 or Glock as they come out of the box.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BountyHunter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Handguns are about feel and reliability.

Major grip difference between the two. Never liked glocks growing up on the 1911. They are an "aquired taste" to shoot good.

However, to me the best feeling, shooting and handling gun right now is the Smith and Wesson M&P. Try it in your hand.

Mine are 100% reliable, accurate and will run with any 1911 or Glock as they come out of the box. </div></div>

I wish someone would have had me shoot a m&p before I bought a 1911. With apex parts the triggers are very similar. Best of both worlds.

M&P

Glock 19, send it to Bowie Tactical Concepts and tell him you just want the important stuff. ie trigger, grip reduction with stippling, and reliability polishing. Then throw in any extras you can afford because you won't want to send it back after a 6 month wait. It is well worth it.

sometimes i think people start these just to start a war haha. as someone who owns and loves both i get a kick out of them. Both of mine have had work done by myself and both never fail.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DeadNoise</div><div class="ubbcode-body">looking to pick up a new sidearm, lookin into a 1911 or a glock 40. any recommendations? </div></div>

You really need one of each, but I would recommend getting the glock first. Here's why:
1. A decent 1911 is going to cost you over $1,000. A decent glock will be half that.
2. If you can learn to shoot a glock proficiently, like 50 yard head shots on command, you can probably shoot anything proficiently.
3. If the world as we know comes to an end, or the zombies rise from the dead, whatever, you'd rather have a glock than a 1911. You should google Larry Vickers and his glock torture test. They blew the damn thing to pieces, then put it together and used a needle nosed pliers to fire it!! Bombproof reliability.
4. A 1911 is an afficianado's pistol. The more experience you have with other weapons, the more you will appreciate and understand the 1911's awesomeness.

I own and shoot several glocks and have a wonderful springfield TRP (which is one of the best 1911's you can get for under $1,500). Glock 1st, 1911 later.

I respect the 1911 but I'll take a glock 9 times out of 10.... You may hate the grip angle at first.... But once you learn to shoot it nothing feels so good (I shoot with the thumbs forward grip high on the gun... Follow up shots are very controllable).

Reliability.... Never had a glock choke on me yet and I feed it Walmart ammo.

My 2 cents... Best of luck

I recommend the Glock 21 SF if you have small hands and a standard Glock 21 grip is too wide. I think the correct answer, obvious to all and never spoken enough, is, "get both." I would start with a Glock and eventually add a high quality 1911 to the collection. Let's face it, you know you need/want both so the decision is which to get first. I love my Glock 21 SF...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: schiffer99</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> You show your 1911 to your friends, and your Glock to your enemies. </div></div>
First I heard of this; and like it!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: schiffer99</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> You show your 1911 to your friends, and your Glock to your enemies. </div></div>

Damn that's good.

Both are reliable how much your willing to pay for that reliability will come into play. The glock is reliable out of the box. So are 1911s you just have to pay for a properly built 1911.

1911's are beautiful and are part of history; but then again so is a Sopwith Camel and a P51 Mustang!

I have both. My recommendation is to start with a Glock as they are affordable (relative to 1911) and there is no need for customization. Then save your dollars and get an Ed Brown, Wilson or Baer 1911.

With those two pistols you have two of the finest handguns of the past century. Both are timeless designs, but you will give the 1911 to your kids.....make it a great one.

I went to the range the other day with three glocks and a 1911 had malfunctions with two, both glocks. Not deal breakers for me, shit happens but just saying all guns jam sometimes

I love 1911s and I hate Glocks. Unfortunately, Glocks work better for me in cost, accuracy, and reliability. I just sold another 1911 to finance my G20L build. I am down to one 1911 and own three Glocks.

3 glocks, 3 1911's (all custom), 1 HK, and 1 sig. i'm not prejudice although i don't like taurus or kel tec
laugh.gif

I own a full custom colt 1911 70 series. I also own a G19. They are both very reliable. That being said, the 1911 is more of a weapon for an aficionado. 1911's require much care in order to run properly. That is why I took a 1911 armorer class. When I take care of my 1911, it runs like a Swiss watch. I love my 1911.

The Glock requires very little care to function reliably. The striker fired action prevents sand, mud & debris from rendering the weapon inoperable like 1911's with large grip safety's can be prone to. The glock will run longer with less care, of course everything comes with a price. I love my glock as well.

They are 2 different animals. If you aren't much into maintanence, I would think about the Glock. You may even want to start there first before you set up to a 1911. If you are willing to learn more about your weapon, it's operation & how to take care of it then start looking at all steel, 5 inch, bushing barrel 1911's.

Of course this is one man's opinion.

when you find a glock that is still functioning accurate and ready to rock with no major breakages when it passes the 500,000 round count, I will consider one until then I will keep my 1911 and change the recoil springs out every 5,000 or so.

I went with 1911s. Started with a Springfield GI as my first 1911 and did a few upgrade like a Wilson barrel and ejector and better sights. It had a jam issue because the firing pin block was allowing the extractor to rotate and ejection was everywhere. I corrected that with a new firing pin stop and got a Nighthawk extractor and it runs great. I even threw it in the mud in my pond and got it as filthy as I could and it still ran. It really rattles, but that makes it more reliable. It tends to be the super tight tolerance 1911s that have issues with getting dirty(kinda like nice girls).

DSC01727.jpg

Wanted something with newer features, so I got a Colt XSE and that runs great out of the box and is plenty accurate. Not a big fan of the series 80 safety though and might remove it.

I personally have no need for a Glock when my 1911s get the job done and being 1911s they get the job done with class. I'm in CA too so a Glock only has 2 more rounds anyways.

I love the feel of a 1911. Especially one that's had some work done to it. Accurate, sexy and just plain cool. I own one and will always have it in my shooting bag on range day. In the hands of a talented, practiced shooter they are unbeatable.

All that being said. I carry and defend my home with a Glock.

Get both, I do. Nothing beats the feel, fit, and finish of a good 1911. However, if you ever have to defend yourself and your firearm becomes "exhibit A" the Glock is the one I wouldn't care if they take away. They're affordable enough to just go out and buy another.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KACstealth</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i agree with the get both statement. both fit different niches </div></div>

One fits the safe queen niche and one fits the real world niche
grin.gif

I got both because I couldn't decide... I found a great sale price on a G17 and I got the STI Spartan .45 (probably the best value in the 1911 world). They both have their uses. The Glock is my carry gun and I take the STI to matches. They both hit everything I point them at and they both run like sewing machines.

Personally I prefer Glocks. While you can get a 1911 that will be reliable, it usually costs four times what a Glock does.

I prefer my XDm over my Glock. But I love my 1911s way more. A good quality 1911 is a pleasure to shoot. It will last a lifetime plus some.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DernHumpus</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KACstealth</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i agree with the get both statement. both fit different niches </div></div>

One fits the safe queen niche and one fits the real world niche
grin.gif
</div></div>

But you can take your Glock out of the safe from time to time...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MR JOSHUA</div><div class="ubbcode-body">However, if you ever have to defend yourself and your firearm becomes "exhibit A" the Glock is the one I wouldn't care if they take away.</div></div>

If you do shoot somebody, confiscation of your pistol is the least of your concerns.

I say get a glock in 40 cal, because you have stopping power than, light weight, reliability, good mag size, it's cheap, and if you don't like the grip that much guess what you can change that with after market stuff a bit.
The 1911 is a good pistol or else it wouldn't have so many fan boys. But at the price range of a good 1911 I think your better off getting a Sig 226 because that pistol is without a doubt extremely good.
Also go to a gun range that rents firearms out and give all the pistols a try, so you can find the one you love. Also don't get caught up on what the gun shoots because a large caliber means nothing if you can't connect with anything important.

This seem to be one of those chevy or ford things.

Personally I went with glock b/c of 3 main reasons.

1. main't - the glock is stupid simple to srtip and clean
2. weight - I'm not goint to lug around a 5 pound gun everyday
3. round count - for me more is better here.

Once you decide you then should start a 40 / 9 / 45 thread.

plenty of bollocks in this thread.

Lots of solid reliable, accurate 1911's under a grand from Springfield, Sig, S&W, Kimber, STI and RAI. They are not hard to run, you don't need an armorers course to keep them running. On the off chance you get one and it doesn't work, you got a lemon, send it back and get it fixed. Don't waste money on ammo "breaking it in"

If you want a poly pistol, look at the M&P, they can be had new from CDNN from $439. It might well fit your hand better than a Glock and the easily installed APEX kit will improve the trigger hugely.

I have 3 Glocks, 1 M&P and 16 1911's if anyone cares about such.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: asiparks</div><div class="ubbcode-body">plenty of bollocks in this thread.

Lots of solid reliable, accurate 1911's under a grand from Springfield, Sig, S&W, Kimber, STI and RAI. They are not hard to run, you don't need an armorers course to keep them running. On the off chance you get one and it doesn't work, you got a lemon, send it back and get it fixed. Don't waste money on ammo "breaking it in"

If you want a poly pistol, look at the M&P, they can be had new from CDNN from $439. It might well fit your hand better than a Glock and the easily installed APEX kit will improve the trigger hugely.

I have 3 Glocks, 1 M&P and 16 1911's if anyone cares about such.
</div></div>

Took the words right out of my mouth. Couldn't have said it better!

M&Ps take the cake over Glocks any day of the week. I <span style="text-decoration: underline">used</span> to like Glock the most, until I shot an M&P.
smile.gif

I will add. If you are looking at a 1911 don't go with Springfield right now. A lot of their stuff coming from the factory is sloppy. You get what you pay for in a 1911. All of my Kimbers shoot lighter than ANY polymer .45 ACP on the planet. Plus, they follow up like a .22lr for me!
laugh.gif

Here's a good video that I point a lot of people to when I can't take the time to explain it. A very well put together 1911 vid by a buddy of mine.

A Kimber Custom Stainless II can be had for around $860 + tax!

The last thing I'm going to add is that if you go 1911 ... go stainless. Stainless steel absorbs shock better than any other steel. You will be glad you did.

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/33OftaiCq_U&feature=related"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/33OftaiCq_U&feature=related" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RoosterShooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
asiparks said:

The last thing I'm going to add is that if you go 1911 ... go stainless. Stainless steel absorbs shock better than any other steel. </div></div>
I was expecting rust, corrosion... but wow!!!
laugh.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Turk</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RoosterShooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
asiparks said:

The last thing I'm going to add is that if you go 1911 ... go stainless. Stainless steel absorbs shock better than any other steel. </div></div>
laugh.gif
</div></div>

It's a proven fact. Stainless Steel 1911s absorb more shock than Carbon Steel 1911s. If I let you shoot my Kimber Custom II side by side with my Kimber Stainless Custom II ... you'd feel the considerable difference in 'FELT' recoil. Same pistol just a different material. Call BS if you want, but I've been a 1911 connoisseur going on 20+ years now. I know what I know!
wink.gif

The materials from least to most shock resistant, when dealing with firearms is:

1) Polymer (least resistant)

2) Scandium

3) Aluminum

4) Carbon Steel

5) Stainless Steel (Most resistant)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RoosterShooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Turk</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RoosterShooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
asiparks said:

laugh.gif
</div></div>

It's a proven fact. Stainless Steel 1911s absorb more shock than Carbon Steel 1911s. If I let you shoot my Kimber Custom II side by side with my Kimber Stainless Custom II ... you'd feel the considerable difference in 'FELT' recoil. Same pistol just a different material. Call BS if you want, but I've been a 1911 connoisseur going on 20+ years now. I know what I know!
wink.gif

The materials from least to most shock resistant, when dealing with firearms is:

2) Scandium

3) Aluminum

4) Carbon Steel

5) Stainless Steel (Most resistant) </div></div>
It's a function of mass; unless you are saying SS has more mass? And if so by how much? Some variables between your two guns; perhaps switch the springs around!!!

Couple of things , theres a good chance that your black custom is also stainless steel, just with a black finish. It maybe that your SS Kimber feels different due to variances in the recoil and mainsprings or the fps profile.

With such relatively small forces acting so quickly over such a small mass I doubt you'd feel a perceptible difference in metalurgy

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: asiparks</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Couple of things , theres a good chance that your black custom is also stainless steel, just with a black finish. It maybe that your SS Kimber feels different due to variances in the recoil and mainsprings or the fps profile.

With such relatively small forces acting so quickly over such a small mass I doubt you'd feel a perceptible difference in metalurgy </div></div>

No. The parkerized custom II <span style="text-decoration: underline">is not Stainless</span>. If you knew anything about KImbers you wouldn't even say that. Kimber only makes a handful of Stainless guns with the KimPro finish on them.

You don't know what you're talking about. A totally off the wall post with no knowledge to back it up.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Turk</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RoosterShooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Turk</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RoosterShooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
asiparks said:

laugh.gif
</div></div>

wink.gif

2) Scandium

3) Aluminum

4) Carbon Steel

5) Stainless Steel (Most resistant) </div></div>
It's a function of mass; unless you are saying SS has more mass? And if so by how much? Some variables between your two guns; perhaps switch the springs around!!! </div></div>

Whatever you say. You obviously think you know what you're talking about. So, I'm going to leave this alone. I refuse to get in a pissing match on a public forum about something that I know is true. You are going by theory, and I'm going by tested results. Which one wins?

Oh, and by the way, felt recoil does involve material DENSITY and WEIGHT. Nuff said!

Again, you'd be better off not saying anything else.