• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Can't wait to sell my Leupold Mark5-HD

darth_ritis

money hater
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Jun 19, 2013
    Frederick, CO
    I gotta vent, guys, skip this if you don't care.

I was having tracking and return-to-zero issues, like 4-5%, with my Mark5-HD 5-25 so I sent it in about five weeks ago. I just got it back and immediately attempted to validate the tracking as best I could -- weighted RRS tripod with VYCE clamped solidly on an old quad rail, scope gently but snugly mounted in its Spuhr mount. It became immediately obvious that the erector stops moving after about 5 mils up, even though as received it would dial up 22.0 mils. That's 17 mils of elevation that doesn't work. I hope they're not so buried in covid19 problems that they can't do it right the 2nd time so that I can sell it with a clean conscience.

My confidence in Leupold is shattered. If they sent a brand new one, I couldn't trust it. I'm pissed because I like the scope, the glass is incredibly clear, the scope is light, and I love the feel and operation of the elevation turret. Now I'm down a good scope for god knows how long.

<endRant>

I had the same issue with mine. Wouldn’t hold a zero and would have tracking issues when it mattered most. I’ve heard it many times, it’s called “Getting Leupold”. Loved everything else about the scope, just didn’t trust it.

How much for it ? I usually dont post a bunch on random itmes. Not saying it cant happed, but seems odd that it would come.back worse tha sent in. I have had a number different scope brands and have had issues with most at some point. Some my fault some.others. I feel alot of folks dont know they have issues or minor errors in the errectors because alot dont test and assume there misses are shooter error/bad wind call etc. I have sent back a number of brands for various reasons. In my opinion most of the higher end scope co. Follow through with the warranty really well when needed. I have a few mk5s and personally like them and the features, mostly the weight . Long rant for no reason I guess. I'm sure leupold will take care of it for you , and while patience is a virtue, if they make it right in the end the company stood behind it ? Which is what they all strive to do.

Sounds like sour grapes after not getting in on the sale. Leupold has ALWAYS met my expectations in performance in the field and in customer service when needed. And it has been needed. Not sweating here just looking forward to mounting on my new build.
    If you read his post it’s a mk5 5-25, Not the 3-18 that’s on sale. So I wouldn’t be saying it’s sour grapes about missing the sale.

Leopold has always had issues but in my experience their warranty repair was very good.

I had a mk4 that had a parallax improperly set from the factory.
    I called and spoke with an idiot that claimed he's never heard of that happening before blah blah blah. But when I sent it in I told them what was wrong on the warranty repair paper and it was fixed.

If it was adjusting just fine before you mounted. It sounds like you over torqued and smashed the tube......

Reactions: never_summer
    Have these quality control issues been documented in the 3.6-18x Mk5s?

We have absolutely no idea if these are quality control issues. We have a thread with three or four people who have had troubles, different troubles at that. There are thousands of these scopes out there. Yes, some will have problems, and some have even left the factory with those problems. No brand is immune.

Either way, these sour lemon whining, bashing, threads should not scare you. Some people can't just put some sugar on their sour lemon and get on with it. They have to pucker and make a scene so everyone knows how sour it is, and everyone understand their plight.

We have absolutely no idea if these are quality control issues. We have a thread with three or four people who have had troubles, different troubles at that. There are thousands of these scopes out there. Yes, some will have problems, and some have even left the factory with those problems. No brand is immune.

Either way, these sour lemon whining, bashing, threads should not scare you. Some people can't just put some sugar on their sour lemon and get on with it. They have to pucker and make a scene so everyone knows how sour it is, and everyone understand their plight.
    The people with problems are far more vocal than the happy customers.

It’s not like it’s hard to find someone with problems with elite level glass from S-B, NF and others.

I’ll refrain from bashing Leupold.

The people with problems are far more vocal than the happy customers.

It’s not like it’s hard to find someone with problems with elite level glass from S-B, NF and others.

I’ll refrain from bashing Leupold.

Everyone who grabbed one for 900 bucks is sweating bullets thought. :LOL: :ROFLMAO: :LOL: A broken one is worth more than that.

Last edited:
    Serious question; why do people buy the Mk5 when the Mk6 3-18 is a thing?
    MK5 is the MK6 done right. The MK6 has the worst eyebox on a small form factor scope i've ever experienced and the glass isn't as good as the mark 5. Also the turrets, at least the M5B2 were trash. Was hardly useable above 15x due to the eyebox as well. In summary i hated my MK6. I loved my MK5.

As to the OP, i'd be frustrated. I can excuse mistakes given the nature of the industry, fault of man, and the sheer amount of scopes Leupold produces. Having said that if it's not tracking on return from warranty, i'd ask for a replacement so you could sell. FWIW my MK6 was 2/10ths off.

Any and all brands have issues.

It's an imperfect device built by imperfect people. Basing a buying decision off of a few people who had scope problems is a poorly based decision. Dont start sweating until everyone has a problem.

Have a little faith in a quality company that they will make it right. Leupold hasnt been around this long by having crappy scopes and horrible CS.

Reactions: Winkmeister
    Although I feel Leopold is the iPhone of optics, they all have problems. I was told by an old timer years ago...." if you dont have time to do the job right the first time.....when will you find time to come back and fix it?" Seems they would be better served putting out a quality product and fix known problems before it left the shop. Especially since you have already sent it in for repairs.

Fill us in, what are their "known problems"? I get told by old timers they don't build things like they used to, they sure don't, they build them better. You are applying the "old timers" wise words to a situation in which they do not pertain. You think they send scopes for repair to whomever assembled them in the first place. It is not as though Leupold is one guy cramming scopes together.

I don’t know much about scopes but when it comes to AC units and your laundry appliances it seems the old make them like they used to point tends to be valid.

My old AC unit might not be as efficient but when I had a guy come out to quote me a new unit he said don’t bother if it’s still working great. YMMV but my unit is over 30 yrs old.

Any and all brands have issues.

It's an imperfect device built by imperfect people. Basing a buying decision off of a few people who had scope problems is a poorly based decision. Dont start sweating until everyone has a problem.

Have a little faith in a quality company that they will make it right. Leupold hasnt been around this long by having crappy scopes and horrible CS.

Leupold is the OG Vortex.

E9EE326C-138B-40C8-B21D-ECF5503788E8.jpeg

Not sure I agree about A/C units, but kitchen appliances today are junk compared to appliances of yesteryear.

Thank the Enviroidiots and “energy savings” for that.

Like newer diesels. Great for the environment. Uses slightly less energy to operate but takes tons of service trips to keep it running and has a lifespan of 1/2-1/4 of older models Brilliant!

Thank the Enviroidiots and “energy savings” for that.

Like newer diesels. Great for the environment. Uses slightly less energy to operate but takes tons of service trips to keep it running and has a lifespan of 1/2-1/4 of older models Brilliant!
    Yeah and I wonder how making Blue Def is helping the environment.

To the op: did you ever send your scope back for a third time? It sucks but if they make it work and you like it, why get rid of it?

Tagging in to reference back once this goes up in the PX as “awesome glass, just don’t use it. Works perfect and is new in box. No trades, need to sell to pay for a new project.” 😂😉

That sucks you are having problems with it though. I never put hands on one and traded my MK6 3-18 (with the new turrets) for an ATACR F1 Mil-R 4-16x42. I didn’t have any issues but I just wasn’t a fan of it...especially that windage index. Best trade I’ve done since getting rid of a piece of shit SCAR for an LMT. Best of luck offloading it man. 🍻

I paid $3k each for two gen 2 Khales k624i’s and promptly had to send one back to Austria because it wouldn’t track for doodie. It was gone for about 3 months as I recall. With all the stuff going on in our country I’m more likely, not less likely to go with an American based company. BTW, how much of Leupold stuff is made here vs China?

Tagging in to reference back once this goes up in the PX as “awesome glass, just don’t use it. Works perfect and is new in box. No trades, need to sell to pay for a new project.” 😂😉

That sucks you are having problems with it though. I never put hands on one and traded my MK6 3-18 (with the new turrets) for an ATACR F1 Mil-R 4-16x42. I didn’t have any issues but I just wasn’t a fan of it...especially that windage index. Best trade I’ve done since getting rid of a piece of shit SCAR for an LMT. Best of luck offloading it man. 🍻
    What was wrong with your SCAR?

tenor.gif

Stuff happens. It sucks when it's you, but you can't buy your way out of things breaking regardless of marketing materials. I can appreciate selling a scope AFTER it gets fixed if you've lost confidence in it from a prior experience - shooting is mostly mental.

I gotta vent, guys, skip this if you don't care.

I was having tracking and return-to-zero issues, like 4-5%, with my Mark5-HD 5-25 so I sent it in about five weeks ago. I just got it back and immediately attempted to validate the tracking as best I could -- weighted RRS tripod with VYCE clamped solidly on an old quad rail, scope gently but snugly mounted in its Spuhr mount. It became immediately obvious that the erector stops moving after about 5 mils up, even though as received it would dial up 22.0 mils. That's 17 mils of elevation that doesn't work. I hope they're not so buried in covid19 problems that they can't do it right the 2nd time so that I can sell it with a clean conscience.

My confidence in Leupold is shattered. If they sent a brand new one, I couldn't trust it. I'm pissed because I like the scope, the glass is incredibly clear, the scope is light, and I love the feel and operation of the elevation turret. Now I'm down a good scope for god knows how long.

<endRant>

I'll give you $5 plus shipping as-is, where-is.

Reactions: TrevK
    Heard back from Leupold, they sent a shipping label to send it back, so we'll see what happens come late August / early September.

I forgot to post the videos! Apologies for the strugglebus with PhoneSkope, no idea how people get good video through scopes.