• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision Canted 20+ moa scope base with clip on night vision?

Nooch13

In Hoc Signo Vinces
Minuteman
Feb 16, 2017
Ocala, FL
So here is my question....if my scope is mounted on a 20 moa or more base, is that going to negatively effect the performance of my clip on night vision? I am currently running 20moa and considering going to 30, but that got me
thinking...

I'm also curious about that as I run all my optics on 20 MOA mounts
I played with a PVS30 the other night with a BOBRO mount with 20 MOA beyond it
the image was crystal clear and definition was great !
Note : this mount its about 1.45" almost ideal for the clip on height
maybe going 30 MOA will slightly affect the quality of the image
It's obvious that a perfect and leveled alignment will improve all those factors though

I run a Spuhr +44.4 w/NF 7-35 on DT SRS-A1. NO POI, mounting, or other issues noted wKAC PVS-30. Works fine w/2.5-10NF on 0 cant Larue mount on SPR.

<<if my scope is mounted on a 20 moa or more base, is that going to negatively effect the performance of my clip on >>

By "performance" OP might have meant POI != POA :)

The better the collimating lens on the back, the less of an issue this will be ...

Aligning the height and "cant" on the optical center line matters ... but for the military grade clipons ... I have not seen an impact unless the mis-match is huge ...

I run military grade clipon on saddle mound in front of 20 MOA rail and both the height and cant are off ... but I still hit dead on at 500yds same as with day scope only ... POI = POA.

(this has not been true for non-military grade clipons I have also tried)

Ok here's the super short answer on clip-ons and alignment with the day optic.

Will misalignment work? As Wigwamitus says it will work. BUT... and there is always a BUT, you are cheating your self out of the critical performance that you just paid a huge amount of cash for. NOW, that being said, The CNVD-LR and the PVS-24 to a lesser degree are WAY more sensitive to this misalignment because their Risley Prisms are further away from the tubes output screen than any other clip on design. The FLIR stuff, as well as the Knights offering, operate on a different design placement of their corrective methods, so they are more tolerant of misalignment.

It is ALWAYS best to align the clip on with the day optic for both angle and height. If you do this you're getting the optimum performance out of your MANY thousand dollar optic. What do I mean by optimum performance? Really clear picture and better light transmission! The image intensifiers BEST resolution is in the center. The only exception to this is the new White Phosphor Photonis 4G Knights PVS-30s. They have a different tube than a regular 11769 found in a regular PVS 14 that corrects for edge to edge resolution drop off better than every other image intensifier. Soooo by not... aligning the optics, let me give you an analogy? It is like buying a Ferrari and then running incorrectly rated tires and low octane gas. WHY do that?

In closing let me say, LINE UP your clip-ons up with your day optics. Do whatever you have to do in your rails/chassis systems to accomplish this. If you do, you will get noticeably better image quality!

I2 Tech

Last edited:
Reactions: McCrazy