• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Rifle Scopes Cantilever mount & 30mm rings

338_rum

Private
Minuteman
Apr 15, 2018
Wetside WA
Looking for a low profile mount for my flat top RRA AR15. Scope is going to be the 30mm tubed LRHS 4.5-18× 44mm. I'd like to keep the objective bell as close to the handguard as possible.

Anyone done that..have one you like?

338_rum

Welcome to the Hide rum. Not quite sure what you're asking, are you asking if anyone has tried a "low" mount with a flat top AR before? Part of the reason folks don't opt for a low profile mount (of which they are hard to find, I think GG&G makes the lowest and AD also has a pretty low one) is the fact that with a standard stock and proper cheek weld you're right around 1.45 - 1.50" from top of picatinny rail to center of scope, so if you get a mount within this range you should be just right. If you get a mount that is "lower" then your center may be off from your eye position which is going to cause issues with getting a clear sight picture. There is no "need" to have the scope mounted as low as possible with a flattop AR, it is better to get a mount that places your scope in the proper position to get a clean sight picture when you bring the rifle up to your natural hold.

Reactions: 338_rum and BigUn
Wjm308 pretty much said everything I was thinking as I read the OP. Great advice. I’m pretty new to the forum as well- nice to see guys helping and not bashing. Props to you good sir!

Makes sense wjm308, this is my 1st AR, coming over from the bolt action world everybody likes the scopes mounted low over that a way.